Around the NHL XIII: Off Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
1. Advanced stats are not going anywhere, which is the point of the article, and people who don't think advanced stats means anything had better just accept it. So yes, the battle is over. There will never be a day when the stats community uniformly throws their hands up and says, "Wait! We were wrong, these stats actually don't tell us anything useful!"

2. The Stralman vs. Girardi debate is not even the same ballpark as the examples he gave. Stralman and Girardi is a very debatable topic when it comes to who makes the team better when they are on the ice.

1. Again, the development of the set of statistics isn't finished. There's so much work left to be done in a lot of areas.

2. Not in the same ballpark, but the same concept.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
1. Again, the development of the set of statistics isn't finished. There's so much work left to be done in a lot of areas.
Which areas specifically?

Nothing is ever finalized, anyways. There's still breakthroughs in Chemistry and Physics, but there's still a lot of knowledge about how the universe works available from studying those fields.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Which areas specifically?

Nothing is ever finalized, anyways. There's still breakthroughs in Chemistry and Physics, but there's still a lot of knowledge about how the universe works available from studying those fields.

To me, the two big ones underdeveloped are shot quality and effect of team system. The other one that needs some work is a way to more directly measure the impact of actions without the puck.

:laugh: at comparing hockey analytics to actual science.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
To me, the two big ones underdeveloped are shot quality and effect of team system. The other one that needs some work is a way to more directly measure the impact of actions without the puck.
Shot quality is an area where I think there will be massive strides made in the next five years.

:laugh: at comparing hockey analytics to actual science.
urdum.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Shot quality is an area where I think there will be massive strides made in the next five years.

I agree with that.

At the very least, I'd also like to see the NHL standardize their real-time statistics and track it themselves, rather than leaving it up to the teams.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
At the very least, I'd also like to see the NHL standardize their real-time statistics and track it themselves, rather than leaving it up to the teams.

Which would only eliminate an infinitesimal error and bias from the arena's stat trackers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad