Around the NHL XIII: Off Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
@drosennhl Canucks go with a veteran assistant, announce Perry Pearn has taken the job to join Willie Desjardins' staff."

Nyuk Nyuk nyuk

Pearn's a turd. I remember when he coached an OHL All Star team he wouldn't let the players talk to the media so they could remain "focused". They ended up losing to the Q all stars anyway.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
But if Marc Savard is getting back into hockey, what does that mean for his status with the Boston Bruins?

Savard is on long-term injured reserve with the Bruins, and his contract runs through 2017. His money doesn’t affect the cap, due to the CBA’s long-term injury exception. But he continues to have that contract honored by the Bruins until he decides to retire from the NHL, as they can’t buy out an injured player. Savard will make $1.5 million this season before his salary drops to $575,000 in the following two seasons, via Cap Geek.

Taking a scouting job would seem symptomatic of retirement. Chris Pronger, for example, is also in quasi-retirement with the Philadelphia Flyers but remains on the team’s payroll through 2017. According to Dave Isaac, Pronger can’t officially take a front office role with the team while still being an active player. *

But according to NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly, the League doesn’t anticipate Savard’s hiring as a scout “having any effect on his [long-term] injury or eligibility†with the Boston Bruins

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

What a racket.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Apparently the Islanders have been sold unless Wang is full of ****.

New York Islanders owner Charles Wang was clocked with a $10 million lawsuit Monday by suitor Andrew Barroway for backing out of their deal to make a trade for $420 million.

In papers filed in Manhattan Supreme Court, Barroway’s corporation, NY ICE claims the parties “shook their hands on an agreement” and NY Ice started to line up NHL approval and financing.

However, Wang “without notice, abruptly refused to proceed to close the transaction and honor the terms of their 70-page purchase agreement but instead “improperly sought to renegotiate the already agreed upon price” in March.

In midsummer, according to court papers, Wang demanded $548 million for the team. When Barroway refused, Wang notified him on Aug. 1 that he had sold the team to other bidders.

Court papers blame the aborted deal on Wang’s “greed” which they said was inspired by the sputtering bid by Steve Ballmer to buy the Los Angeles Clippers basketball team for $2 billion.

“Wang was having seller’s remorse,” the court papers say, “because he believed he had agreed to sell the Islanders for a price too low after hearing the unrelated news that a $2 billion bid was place to purchase” the Clippers.

“The failure to follow through with the sale has caused NY Ice irreparable harm” and if the deal can’t go forward, the firm says in court papers, “NY ICE is entitled to the $10 million ‘break up’ fee to which the parties agreed” or to be reimbursed for its costs and losses.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/h..._source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDNSportsTw

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The NHL Dives Into the Advanced-Stats Pool

Really good read from Sean McIndoe (Down Goes Brown)

Declaring the battle over when the development of these stats still isn't really finished is a little premature. There's still a lot of work to be done and I will continue questioning the value of the statistics until the work actually is done. I want that day to come, though. I have nothing against these statistics except when people use them to say things like what he talks about in the 2nd main section. Namely ideas like "Stralman is better than Girardi." He makes the point that the stats don't make those claims and a lot of stats guys don't use them to make those claims, but he understates how often that does seem to happen... at least around here.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Mods: can you create an Advanced Stats thread?

Seems to be a divide, both in the league and on this board, as to what role they play, pro/cons etc.

I see the Around the NHL thread becoming like a never-ending liberal/conservative politics-type discussion that will detract from discussing what we used to discuss on here: trades, other games, hirings/firings.

I get it. People have agendas and they want to publicize their agendas. Since that might be the case with stats, maybe it deserves it's own thread.

Just a suggestion.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
A team signs you to a contract with guaranteed money, there's no real reason to retire from the NHL until that contract expires. Unless you decided you want to do something like go home to play in Sweden.

For all his shortcomings, Drury did the Rangers a solid by leaving money on the table.

Savard went through a lot and his injury was catastrophic. I guess he feels like he deserves that money.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
For all his shortcomings, Drury did the Rangers a solid by leaving money on the table.

Savard went through a lot and his injury was catastrophic. I guess he feels like he deserves that money.
Oh good, I was worried we weren't going to rail into hockey players for not giving up money today.

Drury didn't.

AHB*

What does it mean "deserve." He signed a contract. That's that. He has no reason to leave money on the table. He's a young guy and while he's made a lot of money, this is what he'll basically have to live on the rest of his life which will obviously include quite a few medical bills.

It drives me nuts when people (not necessarily you) seem to think that players have a moral responsibility to leave millions of dollars on the table.

If you and I could get paid millions of dollars to literally do nothing, we wouldn't turn it down.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
What does it mean "deserve." He signed a contract. That's that. He has no reason to leave money on the table. He's a young guy and while he's made a lot of money, this is what he'll basically have to live on the rest of his life which will obviously include quite a few medical bills.

It drives me nuts when people (not necessarily you) seem to think that players have a moral responsibility to leave millions of dollars on the table.

If you and I could get paid millions of dollars to literally do nothing, we wouldn't turn it down.

I was just saying it must be nice to have that option.

He earned the contract based on past performance and potential production. He's not the first guy, and not the last to receive a career-ending injury prematurely.

Only Savard is one of the select few who gets compensated regardless of whether he plays or not.

Like I said, he deserves it. Must be nice.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Declaring the battle over when the development of these stats still isn't really finished is a little premature. There's still a lot of work to be done and I will continue questioning the value of the statistics until the work actually is done. I want that day to come, though. I have nothing against these statistics except when people use them to say things like what he talks about in the 2nd main section. Namely ideas like "Stralman is better than Girardi." He makes the point that the stats don't make those claims and a lot of stats guys don't use them to make those claims, but he understates how often that does seem to happen... at least around here.

1. Advanced stats are not going anywhere, which is the point of the article, and people who don't think advanced stats means anything had better just accept it. So yes, the battle is over. There will never be a day when the stats community uniformly throws their hands up and says, "Wait! We were wrong, these stats actually don't tell us anything useful!"

2. The Stralman vs. Girardi debate is not even the same ballpark as the examples he gave. Stralman and Girardi is a very debatable topic when it comes to who makes the team better when they are on the ice.

• If advanced stats are so great, why does Corsi say Jonathan Toews isn’t as good as Tyler Toffoli?

• If advanced stats are so great, why does Fenwick say Sidney Crosby isn’t as good as Andrei Loktionov?

• If advanced stats are so great, why does Corsi Relative say Drew Doughty isn’t as good as T.J. Brodie?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

Not disagreeing with you, but speak for yourself. Not every single person on the planet only cares about money, and getting lots of it.

Most people would take the "free money" and run, but not everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad