NHL Around the NHL XI - Hall traded to Coyotes by Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I'm not an HR person so maybe @Alicat could weigh in on this- by moving so quickly to get ahead of these accusations/allegations by firing people aren't the teams opening themselves up to wrongful termination lawsuits??? Sooner or later a team is going to burn themselves by firing someone & it turns out that person was innocent.
He must have violated some sort of ethics or personal conduct clause in his contract. He also could have lied in the interview process and it has now come to light.

I have to believe that the lawyers were all over this before he was terminated.

Outside of poor performance, I've only had to terminate people for failed pre-employment screenings or falsifying timecards.

@Kate08 would be a better person to ask as she has much more experience with complex terminations

Reactions: BMC

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Is Kate an assassin? Former KGB?
Nope she's just a damn good HR person who handles more Employee Relations than I do.

I'm in HR ops/systems and unless someone wants my help in pulling files for an investigation, I stay behind the scenes

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Nope she's just a damn good HR person who handles more Employee Relations than I do.

I'm in HR ops/systems and unless someone wants my help in pulling files for an investigation, I stay behind the scenes

As I'm not an HR rep, I'm stunned this is allowed...:naughty:

As for Montgomery, it's very weird. I read the statements from Jim Nill (still love what O'Reilly as a coach did to him in the playoffs, lol) and he said it didn't involve past or present players, or any abuse, or anything criminal, nor did it involve any employees from the team, but that they considered his "transgressions" plural, and had no choice. So odd.

Reactions: Alicat and BMC

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

As for Montgomery, it's very weird. I read the statements from Jim Nill (still love what O'Reilly as a coach did to him in the playoffs, lol) and he said it didn't involve past or present players, or any abuse, or anything criminal, nor did it involve any employees from the team, but that they considered his "transgressions" plural, and had no choice. So odd.

Could have also been something as simple as disclosing confidential team information to someone.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

I'm wondering if it is substance related which fits the terminology they used. It could also be what Dom said above which also fits in with the terminology used.

Whatever it is, you have to hope he's getting help if he needs it and that he is able to resume some sort of work in hockey at some point in the future.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I'm wondering if it is substance related which fits the terminology they used. It could also be what Dom said above which also fits in with the terminology used.

Whatever it is, you have to hope he's getting help if he needs it and that he is able to resume some sort of work in hockey at some point in the future.

Unless he was selling an "illegal substance", I don't believe substance abuse is the cause. And if that were the case, probably a criminal investigation, which Nill said was not the case.

The NHL has a substance abuse policy that applies to team/league employees, not just players. It involves a suspension and mandatory referral to the league's substance abuse program.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I actually like the alternative side.

FORCE the team to play the player ever other shift for at least 20 minutes a night. For as many games as a suspension.

It would put an immediate stop to these 4th line sandpaper guys in the NHL if a team had to play them 20 mins a night and be a key part of their own teams demise in the standings.
It's essentially a league-mandated bag skate for the player while also punishing the team for playing them in the first place. The result is the team forcing a non-star player into high minutes which is going to lose them games. The player knowns the entire time they are dragging their own team down. That kind of embarrassment is a better deterrent than a $$$ fine.

The entire league would stop playing bottom feeders like Rinaldo for fear it would affect their standings if he gets dinged by DoPS.

For star players, you just suspend them as normal. No use forcing Marchand to play for 20 mins a night. It would exhaust him, but he is a helluva player and thats not exactly punishment.

The fine system is 10X better than the idea above.

4th liners can play in this league, and sticking somone like an Acciari and Nordstrom up on the top line with Bergeron and Marchand wouldn't be a deterrent to him taking runs. And pretty sure forcing someone to play 20 mins a game falls under cruel and unusual punishment.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

now, the rarity here, is multiple issues, now everyone knows who JM is, and there's a faction of fans trying to get him to return to Orono, Maine, as he is part of the Shawn Walsh legacy, but there were issues and why he landed at Denver, before becoming Stars coach as has been mentioned....

I don't buy the noncommittal response by Nill as to why this happened today, whatever the issue is, how do we know that there isn't a culture employed by the Stars that, if this can happen, why isn't Nill gone, if this is the non-committal response to the press about what the issue is, do what Treliving did in Calgary and stop hiding behind the generic statement announcing the termination of Montgomery, that's all the fans/press want to know, what does Nill know that he won't tell

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Always liked Bowness, one season, 3rd round exit, didn`t think Rick was the issue but maybe I`m forgetting something from that time? I did get to meet him a number of times when still living in Ottawa as one of the only things Sens owners did at the time right was they had an absolute ton of season ticket holder events where you often rubbed shoulders with players and coaches and Rick was always more than gracious with his time and anytime I left a conversation with him (albeit brief), I always felt like he was a genuinely nice guy

Bowness only got fired here because Brian Sutter became a free agent and Harry cleared the path to bring him in. In retrospect, it really didn't work out for us. Though Bowness himself only really became a journeyman assistant with a couple short head stints in between

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
And I guess we can't really speculate on what Montgomery did, but with everything they've ruled out ready, I'm having a hard time figuring it out. All I know is that when it leaks, it better be juicy.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Unless he was selling an "illegal substance", I don't believe substance abuse is the cause. And if that were the case, probably a criminal investigation, which Nill said was not the case.

The NHL has a substance abuse policy that applies to team/league employees, not just players. It involves a suspension and mandatory referral to the league's substance abuse program.
I did not know that so thank you for that piece of information.

Whatever it is, you hope it is a teachable moment and that he's allowed to move on

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I wonder if Montgomery was having an affair with a rinkside reporter or something. Someone not affiliated directly with the team, but close enough to be considered unprofessional.

let me know if this post violates any rules here, this was just a thought I had given the info available to us.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I wonder if Montgomery was having an affair with a rinkside reporter or something. Someone not affiliated directly with the team, but close enough to be considered unprofessional.

let me know if this post violates any rules here, this was just a thought I had given the info available to us.

This type of speculation is not welcome here. Go to TMZ if you want to rumor gossip.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Montgomery's life is probably absolute hell right now. Just people wildly speculating about why he's such a bad person, and you know whatever the reason he was fired for will come out eventually.

Reactions: Estlin

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Gambling on hockey would fall under something “criminal”, correct?

Have no idea what he could have done but whatever it was it must not be good if the stars didn’t think they could even attempt to weather the storm if the transgression came out

Remember we live in a time where US Hockey weathered the storm on one of their higher ups calling a player the N word a bunch of times. It must be something reaaaaaal bad if he couldn’t be forgiven by the stars

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Montgomery's life is probably absolute hell right now. Just people wildly speculating about why he's such a bad person, and you know whatever the reason he was fired for will come out eventually.

Which is why Nill should have had the decency to explain the reason why he fired Montgomery. As it stands now there is going to be (if there already isn't) some very ugly speculation as to the reason. And that is not right.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

My thoughts as well

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad