NHL Around the NHL X - Maple Leafs fire head coach Mike Babcock, promote Sheldon Keefe

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Poor Sherwood was so desensitized to how the game is played now he didn't even have his hands up to protect himself. The 4 min was ample penalty for that. Lucic was clearly frustrated by his turnover, but he did what I would want my players to do. The puck was clearly frozen, late whistle, and Sherwood decided to go 'old school" there but forgot there could be some payback. A suspension is ridiculous.

If Kevan Miller does that to someone this place goes nuts if a suspension is handed down.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
**** Lucic. It was a cheap shot. Against a player going until whistle is blown as they are taught from Pee Wee.

Also if that was Bergy playing until whistle as blown and somebody suckered him Im betting that maybe just maybe you might feel different.
Gotta agree here. Love Lucic but that was a meathead play. No chance he doesn't get DOPS attention on a play like that -- none at all.

So many different ways he could have made the guy pay for digging for a loose puck. Superman punch to the head was not smartest approach and I agree -- it that had been Bergie digging for puck and got mashed like that I'd be livid.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
It was a sucker punch from a guy with a history, that is getting a suspension 10 times out of 10

Still love the guy though!

Reactions: LouJersey

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Gotta agree here. Love Lucic but that was a meathead play. No chance he doesn't get DOPS attention on a play like that -- none at all.

So many different ways he could have made the guy pay for digging for a loose puck. Superman punch to the head was not smartest approach and I agree -- it that had been Bergie digging for puck and got mashed like that I'd be livid.

And if it were Kadri doing it and Miller did the same thing?

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Gloved punch to the face in defense of a goaltender...2 games.

Cheap/high hit on a defenseless defenseman with 20 seconds left in a blow out....nothing.

Keep up the good work DOPeS.

Some one needs to start doing parody videos on these BS league suspensions.

Reactions: sarge88

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
And if it were Kadri doing it and Miller did the same thing?
I'd be willing to make the tradeoff. Two game suspension for someone smoking Kadri would be excellent -- given the nasty cheap crap Kadri has pulled. The stuff that tries to seriously injure another player.

To be honest, if it only cost two games I'd be happy for a B to do that to Kadri for just stepping on the ice -- let alone digging for a loose puck.

Difference is it wasn't Kadri. It was some average guy digging for a loose puck -- something that happens all the time. I'm not saying Lucic made a horrible move -- maybe that kind of standing up for your goalie builds a team unity that they can rally around. I'm just saying that I'm not at all surprised he got dinged for a few games -- or going to argue that he shouldn't have.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I don’t mind the punch depending on the reasoning for it. How much of the punch was frustration from Sherwood stripping the puck from him and how much was protecting his goalie?

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
I don’t mind the punch depending on the reasoning for it. How much of the punch was frustration from Sherwood stripping the puck from him and how much was protecting his goalie?

It would be great if we could just say 100% of it was just playing hockey.

NHL Psychiatrist to Lucic after the game: “Yes, but Milan, how did you feeeel at that moment?”

Lucic: “I felt like hitting him in the head.”

Open/shut case, man. Two minutes for roughing. Geez.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
It would be great if we could just say 100% of it was just playing hockey.

NHL Psychiatrist to Lucic after the game: “Yes, but Milan, how did you feeeel at that moment?”

Lucic: “I felt like hitting him in the head.”

Open/shut case, man. Two minutes for roughing. Geez.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I miss Lucic. He's a sore loser and habitual suckerpunch artist, but I have a major soft spot for him.

When his contract expires and he retires, I hope he comes back here and gets a job on NESN or within the organization.

his cap hit is already at 4.5 mill... it could be as low as 2.25 after another round of retention...

honestly 2.25 mill for one of the top 3 enforcers in the nhl doesnt sound too crazy

im not sure he fits the pace our 4th line plays with though... and Heinen has the 3rd line spot... I dont really see a place for lucic to play

if I had a playoff bound team though... id probably take a flyer on lucic... I have him on all my sim teams so im still a believer

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
his cap hit is already at 4.5 mill... it could be as low as 2.25 after another round of retention...

honestly 2.25 mill for one of the top 3 enforcers in the nhl doesnt sound too crazy

im not sure he fits the pace our 4th line plays with though... and Heinen has the 3rd line spot... I dont really see a place for lucic to play

if I had a playoff bound team though... id probably take a flyer on lucic... I have him on all my sim teams so im still a believer
A CBA expert will have to chime in, but I'm pretty sure you can't retain multiple times on a contract. Like the Oilers can't be paying half of it then the Flames a quarter while he's playing in Boston for a quarter of the value. That's got to be a violation of the CBA.

That said, if he has a resurgence and we get out from the Backes contract, or he gets released and we can sign him to a smaller contract, I'd love for him to retire as a Bruin.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Its 5.25 according to Cap Friendly but I agree another retention and hes Ryan Reaves.

But its pretty clear he isnt' willing to leave Western Canada. I guess he might be open to Seattle in 2 years.

His deal is 2 years longer than Backes deal. Noone is touching that at this point. Unless you have a guy with 2-3 more years left you want to get rid of.

I'd be interested if there wasn't such a long commitment and see how he looks with DK. But 3 years after this is too long if it doesn't work out.

Reactions: BrainOfJ

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
A CBA expert will have to chime in, but I'm pretty sure you can't retain multiple times on a contract. Like the Oilers can't be paying half of it then the Flames a quarter while he's playing in Boston for a quarter of the value. That's got to be a violation of the CBA.

That said, if he has a resurgence and we get out from the Backes contract, or he gets released and we can sign him to a smaller contract, I'd love for him to retire as a Bruin.

What is a retained salary transaction/trade

When a team trades a player, they have the option to retain a part of their salary (and cap hit). The team who retains the salary then pays the retained percentage of the salary, and also retains the percentage of the cap hit until the contract expires. The following requirements must be met to retain salary:
  1. The percentage retained cannot exceed 50 percent of the player’s salary (including all bonuses) and Salary Cap Hit.
  2. The same percentage must be retained for both the player’s salary and Salary Cap Hit, and cannot be modified.
  3. All teams are limited to a maximum of 3 retained salary contracts per season.
  4. Teams cannot retain an aggregate amount of more than 15 percent of the Salary Cap Upper Limit.
  5. Players’ contracts are limited to 2 retained salary transactions per contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad