OT: Around the NHL: Will the Bolts repeat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
VGK really rolling the dice on this one.

I get DeBoer's decision since it's the best of three at this point. Just like when Sullivan swapped Murray for Fleury in '16, his team would still be standing if Lehner falters. However, their backs would be against the wall, needing to win the last two. Lehner, like Murray, will have to be dialled in.

Meanwhile, the bigger problem is that the Knights - like all of Deboer's teams - defer to low percentage shots from the point. In other words, Carey Price - like Demko and Khudobin last year - might have the upper hand in the goalie battle. Plus, we all know how great of a goalie Price is in the playoffs. So yes, Deboer better hope his goalie - whoever it ends up being - doesn't let in any more weak goals. They can't afford it.

EDIT: The best of four, but still.. going down 3-1 isn't ideal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
that’s because you’re used to Sullivan not changing shit...every other coach has tweaked lines, players etc in these playoffs...we might still be playing today if he had the balls to try Legace in net...and switch up L1
This has nothing to do with me being ''conditioned'' by Sullys decisions. I even suggested that sometimes changing up the goalie works well.

That said there's a decided difference between a proven commodity in Lehner than a guy like Legace. I don't see these as comparable as far as the talent behind the starters.

After thinking on it though I can't fault Deboer here. If you have a goalie do something so stupid, and basically destroy a very solid performance and an almost certain win with under 90 secs to go, do you really deserve the get a jersey? I'd have to say no.

There's bad goals, there's bad bounces. Those things happen, we all get that. But last game goes well beyond that IMO. What happened is just incredibly, mindbogglingly stupid! As a coach you can't accept that when your team deserved to win.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I get DeBoer's decision since it's the best of three at this point. Just like when Sullivan swapped Murray for Fleury in '16, his team would still be standing if Lehner falters. However, their backs would be against the wall, needing to win the last two. Lehner, like Murray, will have to be dialled in.

Meanwhile, the bigger problem is that the Knights - like all of Deboer's teams - defer to low percentage shots from the point. In other words, Carey Price - like Demko and Khudobin last year - might have the upper hand in the goalie battle. Plus, we all know how great of a goalie Price is in the playoffs. So yes, Deboer better hope his goalie - whoever it ends up being - doesn't let in any more weak goals. They can't afford it.
I don't agree at all with this. Vegas lost because of a horrible play by MAF. They were going on to victory. Maybe they don't win 5-2 or 6-2, but they scored enough to win the game without an idiotic play by their goalie. I don't see this as a problem for Vegas as far as scoring goals. Again unless you have a goalie meltdown like Maf or Jarry do.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This has nothing to do with me being ''conditioned'' by Sullys decisions. I even suggested that sometimes changing up the goalie works well.

That said there's a decided difference between a proven commodity in Lehner than a guy like Legace. I don't see these as comparable as far as the talent behind the starters.

After thinking on it though I can't fault Deboer here. If you have a goalie do something so stupid, and basically destroy a very solid performance and an almost certain win with under 90 secs to go, do you really deserve the get a jersey? I'd have to say no.

There's bad goals, there's bad bounces. Those things happen, we all get that. But last game goes well beyond that IMO. What happened is just incredibly, mindbogglingly stupid! As a coach you can't accept that when your team deserved to win.

Yes, Lehner is proven and Legace isn’t but then you go on to say that you have to change the goalie when he does something so mind bogglingly stupid...and that was Jarry...as bad as Fleury...and Vegas isn’t even playing an elimination game...if you can’t fault Deboer, then you have to fault Sully...Deboer would have been playing the backup no matter who it was...

Reactions: Shearypwnskunitz

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
13349040_1328077140541337_1924241580_n.gif

Yinzer Jesus
For as bad as the 2012 Philly series was I think this was his low point. Absolute clown show.

There was that one goal where he ended up behind the net, facing away from it, and they ricocheted it in off him.

Reactions: Gold Diamond

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I don't agree at all with this. Vegas lost because of a horrible play by MAF. They were going on to victory. Maybe they don't win 5-2 or 6-2, but they scored enough to win the game without an idiotic play by their goalie. I don't see this as a problem for Vegas as far as scoring goals. Again unless you have a goalie meltdown like Maf or Jarry do.

This is not to downplay what MAF did (it was the moronic play that he did so often as a Penguin), but those mistakes aren't as costly when it isn't a one-goal game. DeBoer's teams tend to let opponents hang around, even when the shot clock is decidedly in their favour.

I get what you're saying though. It looked like they were going to skate to victory.

Reactions: Ryder71

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yes, Lehner is proven and Legace isn’t but then you go on to say that you have to change the goalie when he does something so mind bogglingly stupid...and that was Jarry...as bad as Fleury...and Vegas isn’t even playing an elimination game...if you can’t fault Deboer, then you have to fault Sully...Deboer would have been playing the backup no matter who it was...
I don't agree with that at all. Vegas more or less has two number ones. It's just not the same situation at all as far as a capable replacement.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think there's a bit more nuance to it. There are bad goals to give up. Every goalie is susceptible to that. I think it comes down to his judgement and lack thereof.

I'm normally better at conveying my opinion but of late I'm a bit off I guess. I think what Deboer was so dismayed by was the LEVEL or Degree of futility there. It wasn't just bad, it was beyond brutal and completely avoidable.

I still think Vegas wins, but THAT type of mistake could destroy your series if you're not careful.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I think this might be a mistake given how Lehrer played last time and the lasting damage it could do again.. but I like the balls it takes

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Since the neanderthal nhl lords wish to allow interference against stars, they should allow light goalie interference too... same treatment that’s allowed to star forwards and defensemen

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Since the neanderthal nhl lords wish to allow interference against stars, they should allow light goalie interference too... same treatment that’s allowed to star forwards and defensemen

And just to protect them from the interference, let them go back to pre-lockout pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad