NHL Around The NHL VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Vegas doesn’t have a state tax. I’m not a mathematician, curious what that per year would equivalent be in Boston

My account who is here doing my taxes says Stone would have a base Massachusetts tax of $479,750 a year or $3,838,000 under the life of the contract.

:eek:

17of26

Sep 9, 2008
My account who is here doing my taxes says Stone would have a base Massachusetts tax of $479,750 a year or $3,838,000 under the life of the contract.

:eek:

Does that take into account the fact that road games are taxed based on where they are played?

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
I don't assume an automatic win against anyone. I just don't get the hatred, when they haven't done anything to justify it up to this point.....

If they had beaten us in a recent playoff series or done something remotely controversial against us, I'd get it, but come on....

I definitely understand why they might hate us, however...
Hate is not a one-way street.
You think Habs fans were not hating the Bs back in the day when their team always used to find a way to beat our team in the playoffs?
From my own experience, I can tell you they did! LOL

The Leafs have slowly crept up my ladder of hatred, one step above the Habs and the Pens. Nothing is set in stone though.
Don't worry, the Habs still occupy a high step on my ladder. :thumbu:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Does that take into account the fact that road games are taxed based on where they are played?

Alaska, Florida, Nevada, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington and Wyoming have no income tax.

If Jacobs had moved the Bruins to New Hampshire which came very close to happening the Bruins would be an inviting team for FA's.

A List of State Income Tax Rates

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

First time I've ever seen someone hip toss another player onto their head in a hockey fight. As someone who is also a fan of MMA, it makes sense considering they are in the clinch. Still, that is something you should never do to another player and it is just a low, scummy move.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
8 years X $9.5 million for Stone.

Thoughts

Vegas, I think, acts like a team who understands their unique attractiveness and they’ve been very bold and smart. They’re not afraid in many aspects of their negotiations or how they structure their money; I feel like that’s representative of how a deep pocket franchise should be working to exploit the short-term loopholes in the current CBA. For players, the bonus laden, guaranteed contracts are too lucrative to ignore. The sooner you have your money the sooner you can utilize it in a different way.

I realize that’s a slight tangent from the player but bourbon brings belligerent thoughts.... and apparently alliteration?

For Stone, I don’t think that’s too different than market value for what we are seeing especially if the cap keep rising.

Recall when Tarasenko signed? They were on record as saying the contract would be a steal at 7.5 in the years to come and it is.

My bigger fear, and we are already seeing this w solid players on PTOs, is how the upper tier contracts impact the low/mid/elder vet players and the low salaraies they end up taking. A squeeze of you will.

Reactions: TCB and Chief Nine

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
First time I've ever seen someone hip toss another player onto their head in a hockey fight. As someone who is also a fan of MMA, it makes sense considering they are in the clinch. Still, that is something you should never do to another player and it is just a low, scummy move.

Yeah, I agree. Cheap, classless move. He could have broken the other kid's neck.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
I grew up in early 70s hating habs without a doubt and always will just as I am sure they hate our team.But the Leafs fans are the worst.Just go to the habs site and compare it with Leafs site if anyone needs proof.The Leafs fans are the worst on this entire site by a mile.Never won Cup in 52 years or a playoff round since 04 and think they are the be all to end all and downright ARROGANT .
For me the Leafs are like your pain in the ass little brother. You know someday he will grow up and kick your ass. But right now it's still cute when he tries to be all chest puffy bad ass because he can't quite sustain it long enough yet.

The Habs? f*** the Habs. Stomp those f***ers in the throat.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
this tax benefit thing is cute too... for 100 years theres always been tax differences from one place to another. there was always cost of living differences too.

for close to 100 years players needed to decide where to play... some say they want to play near family. a lot say they want to play where they have a chance to win. some might have business interests they want to stay close to. maybe some want to play for their favorite team

ive heard 1000s of guys do press conferences and ive NEVER heard a player say the taxes are great here.

do players hire tax/finance experts to minimalize their taxes... im sure they do. but honestly a ton of players make millions and millions of dollars and are broke 5 years later. these arent smart money people

tell an athlete, you can save 5% of your money because we can analize the depreciation on your lunch entertainment and the player will say 'gad, I spend more than that on a weekend in vegas'

its kind of a cute thing for someone to say... that the tax break places get a break. but I promise you this, it never happened for the past 100 years.

I remember when florida entered the nhl… sports illustrated had a cover story. all the nhl Russian superstars were going to go play there because of the weather and they would win the cup everyyear

really????

do LA/or NY get all the best players because of the better endorsements and better nightlife?

I heard that...

the truth is many players take less money to go to a place they want... they arent going to worry about tax benefits if they dont want to be there.

these guys make enough money they will have enough money wherever they go. throwing more money at these players isnt going to make them choose your team unless your team was on their list to start with.

vegas… tampa… are fun/warm towns to live in... with competitive teams... good management that treats the players well... a reputation for having close clubhouse with great guys to hang out with

its not a huge mystery why stone might want to stay in vegas instead of Ottawa... or why stamkos might like tampa instead of that media fishbowl Toronto

ive heard 1000s of players say why they signed with 1 team instead of another... and its usually simply because they like the city better and think it will be more fun. if you want to attract good players, than be professional. be competitive. make the player feel wanted. and get into the same ballpark financially. you cant buy many guys, but you can lose them if you cheap out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad