Around the NHL VIII - 2017-2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
One of our clients has their filming studio in Astoria, which is on Long Island. The prices, which is what I deal with with hotels and taxis and such, is MUCH MUCH less than NYC. Our animators, save one who is into the whole big city scene, prefer it when they're filming as opposed to having to attend meetings at the offices in Manhattan.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
So Carlson signed for 8x8. Where does that leave Ellis?

I'd say AAV of 6, possibly less if he wants an 8 year deal. Cant see giving Ellis more than Forsberg.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
ellis should get around 5.5 ... he would get more on the open market obviously but i think we sign him for 5 years 28 million. AAV 5.6

if ellis wants more than 6 on a long term deal, i trade him. his value is high as it's ever been right now. i do not believe it is smart to invest so much in defense if josi ellis and ekholm all get significant raises. no one really in line to replace them though so we aren't in the best position to play hard ball either.

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
End of the day I would take it... it's not worth bickering over $1M when I don't really see Ellis in our post-expansion draft plans anyway. NTC/NMC is more important than the $1M.

Actually, I don't see Josi in the post expansion plans.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Actually, I don't see Josi in the post expansion plans.
Well, it's 2 seasons away. A lot could happen. My post-expansion "plans" would be lightly sketched in pencil anyway. Our last look at both of Ellis and Josi wasn't the most positive one, but they have ample time to make things look different in the meantime, plus or minus. And who knows, something could happen with another D, with a prospect or other acquisition changing the view, it's early days. I'll take Ellis on that deal and let the rest unfold, we have lots of time.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I hate to hear that. I like Shea and wish him well.

From a Preds perspective, would it be better for him to retire now/soon or play on and retire near the end of his contract? I know there's some cap hit stuff in there, but not quite as knowledgeable about it as I should be. Seems like I remember hearing the optimum for us is for him to play to the end of his contract, but what if he doesn't?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

From a Preds perspective, would it be better for him to retire now/soon or play on and retire near the end of his contract? I know there's some cap hit stuff in there, but not quite as knowledgeable about it as I should be. Seems like I remember hearing the optimum for us is for him to play to the end of his contract, but what if he doesn't?
I don't think there's any chance he retires during the timeframe that he still has $6M salaries attached. i.e. the next 4 years. That's too much money to walk away from. Better to be on LTIR and getting it paid by insurance or whatever.

After that, though, it's the final 4 years on the deal which are dangerous to us. Because we got the cap benefit of the outrageous front-load, we're tagged with $24.5M of cap recapture if he retires early. Since he "only" gets $3+1+1+1M on the final 4 years, the speculation would go that he could retire early and not care too much about missing that money. In which case we owe $24.5M/4yrs or a little over $6M per year extra cap charge. Ouch.

I mean, in theory he could retire with just 1 year left and have the whole $24.5M charged on our cap in 1 year, but I don't see how the NHL would allow that, since it's bigger than like the whole cap range right now! The rest of our team would have to be below the floor, and it'd quite a debacle to have to cut down that quickly for a 1 year mega-penalty.

But hopefully he is just classy about it all and never retires, saving everybody the grief and continuing to draw a LTIR pension at the end like a Savard or Pronger etc did. Habs might not like having that little cross to bear, though, so who knows, it could come up as a case where his rights move around a la those guys or Horton or Clarkson etc. But we'll presumably always carry the risk.

Retiring now, with 8 years left, at least you would just get hit with $3M per year on the recapture. But I am not going to hope for that. Hopefully Shea just plays on until he's 42 or whatever and never has to retire or go the LTIR route.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

There is no way he will retire and leave money on the table. Hes not getting 14 million a year anymore but I think he still is getting 6 million a year for the next 4 years and then 6 million total the last 4 years. So he would leave 30 million on the table if he retired.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
The contract is JUST at the point of 6 million of salary. Weber is 4 years from even thinking about retirement.

Also, it's a 7.8 million cap with 1 million salary towards the end. How many teams would KILL for that to reach the floor?

Also, the new CBA is coming up. How will that effect the interpretation of Cap-recapture?

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
The contract is JUST at the point of 6 million of salary. Weber is 4 years from even thinking about retirement.

Also, it's a 7.8 million cap with 1 million salary towards the end. How many teams would KILL for that to reach the floor?

Also, the new CBA is coming up. How will that effect the interpretation of Cap-recapture?

It's possible that the NHL makes it tougher for LTIR'ed players to not play but still receive their salary in the next CBA. I haven't seen any real signs of that, but the Hossa situation did produce some rumblings in that direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad