Around the NHL VIII - 2017-2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Whoops. Haha crazy times.

Anyone that says we should have tried for Hoffman should have their head examined. You dont want to inject that kind of crazy I to what otherwise appears to be a very cohesive room.

Plus as Poile stated, the players asked him not to blow up the team and I think hes going to mostly honor that.
Well, there's no "blowing up" involved in giving a 2019 2nd and a couple other picks for Hoffman. But obviously the Sharks aren't giving that same deal to a West rival.

Anyway, I'm still optimistic that Poile will find us a couple upgrades (also with no "blowing up" involved) that do just as well for us on the ice, and a whole lot better off the ice, so until/unless he fails at that, there is certainly no need to second-guess where the zany Hoffman file is concerned.

Reactions: Gnashville

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
So CBJ offered an eight year deal, with top shelf money, to Panarin and he told them to go knead bread. Is the guy wanting even more dollars or is Columbus not where he really wants to play long term?

That sucks for them. Maybe they'll get something good for him though if that's what it has to be.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So CBJ offered an eight year deal, with top shelf money, to Panarin and he told them to go knead bread. Is the guy wanting even more dollars or is Columbus not where he really wants to play long term?

That sucks for them. Maybe they'll get something good for him though if that's what it has to be.
We're not as sure about the money involved, partly because it looks like he's in the "wanting even more dollars" category. Which not a single Jackets fan begrudges him, frankly. :)

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Btw good on Trotz for telling the Caps to go screw themselves. I'm sure they are happy with the Cup but it's obvious they were planning on canning him if they had lost, so why would you stay ? I just hope he doesnt end up in Minnesota.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Btw good on Trotz for telling the Caps to go screw themselves. I'm sure they are happy with the Cup but it's obvious they were planning on canning him if they had lost, so why would you stay ? I just hope he doesnt end up in Minnesota.
I think Trotz wasnt stupid, he knew the situation so he asked for something he knew they wouldn't match and if they did he was more than willing to deal with it.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Twitter showed Trotz landing at Seattle's airport. Take a year off and run an expansion team and hope to get magic in a bottle like Vegas?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
We're not as sure about the money involved, partly because it looks like he's in the "wanting even more dollars" category. Which not a single Jackets fan begrudges him, frankly. :)
Seeing what Kane and Toews got a few years ago, players like Panarin should be fully within their rights to seek $10M per. That's realistic money these days for the top talent. It may take some teams a little time to catch on with that idea, though. I'd be a little surprised if they offered him 8x$10M and he turned it down... but surprised if they offered him $10M at all... yet.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Twitter showed Trotz landing at Seattle's airport. Take a year off and run an expansion team and hope to get magic in a bottle like Vegas?
Can't hurt to listen, but realistically he's not going to get a lineup on paper that is even close to what the Islanders have now. If he can work magic, might as well get on that sooner with the Isles, I'd say.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Seeing what Kane and Toews got a few years ago, players like Panarin should be fully within their rights to seek $10M per. That's realistic money these days for the top talent. It may take some teams a little time to catch on with that idea, though. I'd be a little surprised if they offered him 8x$10M and he turned it down... but surprised if they offered him $10M at all... yet.
The guesstimate by Aaron Portzline was 8x$9m. I don't know how accurate that is, though - Porty's one of those guys who doesn't always make it clear when he's speculating versus when he's reporting. That said, he also reported that the Jackets never even got started with discussions yet before they were informed Panarin wanted to wait - that's a not insignificant part of why we're pretty sure this is a negotiating tactic.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

Lol this is going to be the next internet meme "wheres Barry?"
Yesterday on XM Twitter was abuzz and even XM was speculating because he was supposedly spotted getting on a plane bound for Newark.

Be funny if Trotz was simply taking connecting flight to somewhere else and inadvertently trolled the whole internet

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The guesstimate by Aaron Portzline was 8x$9m. I don't know how accurate that is, though - Porty's one of those guys who doesn't always make it clear when he's speculating versus when he's reporting. That said, he also reported that the Jackets never even got started with discussions yet before they were informed Panarin wanted to wait - that's a not insignificant part of why we're pretty sure this is a negotiating tactic.
If Panarin is indicating that he just doesn't want to stay in Columbus, and if they get stuck being "forced" to trade him... wellllll... even as a 1-year rental he'd be quite an interesting target... far far better than anybody the Preds could otherwise add... but the trade cost... I guess there is no way they can't ask for Tolvanen to be involved given the otherwise barren cupboards here... :( Or Fiala and.... ???

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If Panarin is indicating that he just doesn't want to stay in Columbus, and if they get stuck being "forced" to trade him... wellllll... even as a 1-year rental he'd be quite an interesting target... far far better than anybody the Preds could otherwise add... but the trade cost... I guess there is no way they can't ask for Tolvanen to be involved given the otherwise barren cupboards here... :( Or Fiala and.... ???
Fiala and one of those guys playing next to Johansen. I suspect the Preds would be just fine staying pat, myself. :)

Reactions: PredsV82

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Panarin wont bring that kind of yield unless hes already agreed to an extension.
Yeah, even the "rental" price is probably more than I'd be willing to pay, never mind a full-up deal like Viqsi suggests where he's treated as a long-term asset. Fiala + 2019 1st say... that's a steep enough starting point for a 1-year rental, and Panarin is one of the best forwards in the league - but even at that I'm not sure we have the need to go down that route. Just thinking he'd look awfully good on the team... but he would on any team. :)

Maybe if he's UFA next summer he can be the next Tavares-style dream.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Heard on XM that Trotz is expected to be named Islanders coach. Glad hes not in the west, hope hes getting a boatload of cash.

If true odds of Tavares staying probably just went up

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Man, I'd love Trotz to NYI.

1. He stays out of the West
2. Tavares most likely stays in New York and out of the West.
3. Isles are a young, exciting team to watch.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Surprised Trotz went to the Islanders. I just didn't see him as a New York City type of guy. But good for him for getting paid! And good luck to him, I hope Tavares stays there and they can build up something good.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Surprised Trotz went to the Islanders. I just didn't see him as a New York City type of guy. But good for him for getting paid! And good luck to him, I hope Tavares stays there and they can build up something good.

Ehh, Long Island is densely populated but it's more suburban than anything and with the Isles moving back there it seems like it fits Trotz just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad