Around the NHL VIII - 2017-2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I’d rather have Tavares. That’s the type of player we are missing.
Me too. Tavares-Johansen would be daunting. I also don't see risk or downside with Tavares. For 7 years, I would have no fear of anything going wrong with him, he's a rock.

Karlsson... maybe the injury, maybe the circus and all his off-ice distractions, I don't know, but his year was not good and as long as we have a poor-man's version locked up in Josi, I'm content to watch Karlsson play elsewhere. Maybe he puts the down season behind him and resumes his dominance. Probably he does. But there's an extra sliver of risk attached to him that I don't see with Tavares. These are $10M+ long-term contracts, so even a sliver of risk matters.

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
I look at it like this...
When was the last time we have a forward like Tavares? Ever? Could you imagine the disgusting things he would do with Forsberg and Arvidsson?
I’m honestly tired of being a defensive star-filled team. I wanna see forwards with tenacity and scoring touch with enough speed to back it. What has our approach done for us? Obviously we’d need some sort of D to step up and be solid in their own end but that’s easy to find (that’s if we traded one of the big 4). We need more talent. Creativity. Part of that could be coaching. The only line I ever see any real creativity from is the top line. Everyone else just dumps it, and most of the time we don’t play fast enough to pull it off. I wanna see someone on our team with exceptional transition ability because to me, that is what we are lacking the most. We generally do well when set up but when our rush game is off, we tend to struggle and rely on defensive breakdowns from the opposing team or random lob passes. Those things are nice, but shouldn’t be our only way of generating offense.
Tavares just really seems to fit the bill. I’d argue he’s a better fit in Nashville than anywhere.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I look at it like this...
When was the last time we have a forward like Tavares? Ever? Could you imagine the disgusting things he would do with Forsberg and Arvidsson?
I’m honestly tired of being a defensive star-filled team. I wanna see forwards with tenacity and scoring touch with enough speed to back it. What has our approach done for us? Obviously we’d need some sort of D to step up and be solid in their own end but that’s easy to find (that’s if we traded one of the big 4). We need more talent. Creativity. Part of that could be coaching. The only line I ever see any real creativity from is the top line. Everyone else just dumps it, and most of the time we don’t play fast enough to pull it off. I wanna see someone on our team with exceptional transition ability because to me, that is what we are lacking the most. We generally do well when set up but when our rush game is off, we tend to struggle and rely on defensive breakdowns from the opposing team or random lob passes. Those things are nice, but shouldn’t be our only way of generating offense.
Tavares just really seems to fit the bill. I’d argue he’s a better fit in Nashville than anywhere.
The President's Trophy, a Stanley Cup Final and of the most successful regular season teams (in terms of win%) over the past decade plus.

I mean, I get it, but reading this board sometimes makes me feel like we're the freaking Oilers or Sabres. Then again, people would stop complaining about our top end forward talent in that case.

Reactions: TitansVolsPreds615

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
How much should we stretch the Preds/Senators alliance? It's a dumpster fire which is constantly stoked by napalm.
If there was a fire sale pricetag on Hoffman... well, that would be pretty tempting, I have to admit. Even with the whole circus going on. Maybe it would be bad karma. I'm sure Poile could get a little more info on what's really going on first. But to nab that 25-30 goal winger at about the right cap hit with only 2 years left on his deal... it would be pretty hard to pass up... :(

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
If there was a fire sale pricetag on Hoffman... well, that would be pretty tempting, I have to admit. Even with the whole circus going on. Maybe it would be bad karma. I'm sure Poile could get a little more info on what's really going on first. But to nab that 25-30 goal winger at about the right cap hit with only 2 years left on his deal... it would be pretty hard to pass up... :(

Pretty sure him and Turris played really well together too, but I wouldn't want him anywhere near us right about now.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
The President's Trophy, a Stanley Cup Final and of the most successful regular season teams (in terms of win%) over the past decade plus.

I mean, I get it, but reading this board sometimes makes me feel like we're the freaking Oilers or Sabres. Then again, people would stop complaining about our top end forward talent in that case.
Look, man. I see that argument. I really do. But we all saw how we barely managed to win a shit ton of games. We won, but I want some players who will put daggers in teams. Like a Patrick Kane (which I know would probably cost more than we would wanna spare) or something.
Maybe Tolvanen fills this void? But why not spend to the cap? I wanna see a damn cup in Nashville. I’m tired of it. I wanna see us become a team of juggernauts that cannot be beaten. Score more goals and demoralize the opponent. More times than not they won’t respond to being beaten down. I’m tired of those anxiety-filled games where no one can seem to score no matter what they do. I want someone who is a proven sureshot. Idk.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Looks like Trotz has left Washington. Islanders is the only job open right now but that can change. He could also wait and take some time off and get the Seattle job.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Looks like Trotz has left Washington. Islanders is the only job open right now but that can change. He could also wait and take some time off and get the Seattle job.
Lou is not going to miss this. I wouldn't be surprised if he knew it was coming all along. Trotz-the-Cup-Winning-coach onboard, that's gotta help sell Tavares on staying. Badabing badaboom.
:surrender

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Think we could've easily outbid San Jose there. Whether we should've.. that's an entirely different story.

Smith+Dougherty+6th for Hoffman+Donaghey+5th

Oh well.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Turris' wife would have been a problem with Hoffman as she was one of the wives who was backing up Melinda Karlsson. We don't need any drama and he's not that big of an upgrade on Smith plus he's a LW not a RW

Last edited:
Reactions: PredsV82

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Surprised Ottawa didn't wait for the draft to see if they could get anything better. They should have traded him at the deadline as they knew about this back then.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Think we could've easily outbid San Jose there. Whether we should've.. that's an entirely different story.

Smith+Dougherty+6th for Hoffman+Donaghey+5th

Oh well.
Uh, everyone could have easily outbid San Jose (and now Florida). Just confirms Hoffman is essentially viewed as a cancer around the league.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Bye bye cheap Hoffman. SJ looking like a safe bet for the WCF

Whoops. Haha crazy times.

Anyone that says we should have tried for Hoffman should have their head examined. You dont want to inject that kind of crazy I to what otherwise appears to be a very cohesive room.

Plus as Poile stated, the players asked him not to blow up the team and I think hes going to mostly honor that.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
The Canadian teams seem to have very incompetent management. Apart from Toronto.
We should all be thankful we got GMDP. Think about all the brilliant moves he has made in the past 6-7 years. The only crap trade I can remember is Gaustad, but at least he was serviceable.
Most teams don’t get that luxury. Think about if we had Bergevin.:help: I’d stop being a fan of the team if we had someone like he or Dorion running he show. Just wow.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
How do you put out a dumpster fire this big in Ottawa?
I am just imaging the crater - or mushroom cloud followed by crater - if it gets even worse. Now imagine: Karlsson leaves UFA. They get the #1 overall pick next year but have to hand it over to Colorado. Then Duchene leaves UFA. Things can definitely get worse for them, scary as that may be...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad