Around The NHL - True Gritty(ness)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think Toronto needs RD more than LD with Rielly and Gardiner there. I'm still curious though, what are you getting back for Goose, Perlini, and that 2nd?

I mentioned a few weeks ago that (aside from Seattle) I think the way to move out Goligoski is in a deal for Kessel. Now, obviously we'd have to add some pretty valuable stuff to that, but Goligoski would be the money going out in order to bring in Kessel's deal. This whole idea hinges on that Sullivan/Kessel relationship continuing to crumble. And it's not like Pittsburgh couldn't use help on D either. I don't even mind Goligoski either, it's only just a matter of time before Chychrun takes his spot at 2LD and then Goose becomes a very expensive 3LD, particularly for a budget team.
What do you mean you’re curious what we’re getting back? I’m confused by your second sentence.

rt

May 13, 2004
What's the other side of the equation for Goligoski+Perlini+2nd? Nylander?
Yeah, that was the idea. Fit our budget, get Toronto a D, and bridge the value gap between Goligoski and Nylander with some young scoring on the wing to replace Nylander somewhat with Perlini and a pick in the 1st half of the 2nd round. It’s certianly not enough for Nylander, though. Especially since to your point, they really need D on the right side.

rt

May 13, 2004
I know Toronto was really high on POJ but took Liljegren because he fell and they never thought he’d be available. I imagine they’d find POJ a very tempting piece. I’d happily add our 2nd (just can’t give up the 1st). But how do we make it work for our budget? Demers? He’s a a RHS D. Obviously that’s not enough value, still. Does Nick Merkley help? Yet another recent 1st rounder?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Demers doesn’t want to play in Canada. Used his NTC to turn down a deal from Florida to Vancouver.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
But either way, I can't see him being offered less than 7-8 million, not completely unreasonable and yet he needs to take care of himself. Shouldn't have said that, 99% of the population of the world survives on less than 100k a year.

When a player is injured, they watch the games right? I mean, they're friends, they're in the trenches with these guys 82 games a season most times.
Nylander said he didn't watch the game; to me, that speaks volumes.
Maybe it's just me but I'd be watching and cheering for the people I want to play with.

With the 6 hr time difference, I don't find fault with him not watching the game live. Using the low est. of $7M, he will lose a potential $85K per game until this is resolved.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I belive NTCs and NMCs are voided once a player has been traded. I believe he has no trade protection at this point.

Depends on the contract. For some yes, others no. Either way, I’m not prepared to trade Demers at this point. We have no RHD depth to speak of.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I belive NTCs and NMCs are voided once a player has been traded. I believe he has no trade protection at this point.

Nah. NTC's and NMC's are only voided if the player is traded before the clause goes into effect. Or there's some extraordinarily rare language in the contract with extra conditions on NTC/NMC--Luongo is the only one I've ever heard of having this.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Even with Chucky, we need more. Any realistic contender doesn't have a Richard Panik on its powerplay.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I'm not crazy about how we have picked 2nd and 3rd rounders. Less so 1st rounders but we can't trade a future #1 Lest we end up in an Ottawa mess. Or Toronto before them. Looking at the price for Karlsson, I think that we could come up with something if both Nylander and Shanahan were willing to play ball. Nothing would please Shanahan more than to banish Nylander to a place where he could never come back to haunt Toronto.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Even with Chucky, we need more. Any realistic contender doesn't have a Richard Panik on its powerplay.

I agree to some extent. So far our 1 game sample size would suggest that Chucky could be something special on this team with OEL and Keller feedong him the puck. Time will tell, but if him and Keller become 70 point forwards this season I think we are much closer to being a Minnesota year after year than a Florida.

Also Chucky should knock Panik right out of the PP

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Leafs need RHD's, we don't have any good ones, and it would take that for a Nylander, and the Leafs are unlikely to trade him anyway.

Reactions: Jakey53
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad