OT: Around the NHL: Trade deadline looms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
When you have the two best centers in the game and a top 10 D, it can mask a lot of problems.

Though, to be fair, DB wasn't always so bad. His issue is obsolescence. He began his career on close to equal footing with other coaches, but they evolved whereas he won the cup and decided he had nothing to work on and nothing more to know.

Started as a minor disadvantage and got a little worse every year as every other coach copied everyone else's new tricks, eventually leading to what you're seeing, where you'd be at less of a disadvantage with Ted Nolan or Jack Capuano.

We're talking about a guy who was fired, then gave an interview saying he would be spending the summer "figuring out what systems other teams play." Shouldn't he already have known that?

I wonder if he has some form of early-onset dementia. Early in his coaching career, he sounded like a scholar in his post-games. By the end, he was babbling and stuttering like an idiot.

The problem there is that it didn't stop a team from doing the stupid and hiring him too soon. I still think Dan can be a good coach some day, but not right now, he got lucky in Pittsburgh and is riding that hype and when he gets fired by Buffalo and the jobs dry up and he's only offered assistant jobs or AHL coaching gigs, he'll wise up. I think if he goes that route with being an NHL Assistant/AHL coach again for 5yrs, he could come back as a solid coach.

Dan's problem is his career record as an NHL coach, it's inflated his ego so much that the firing from the Pens still didn't humble him at all and the Sabres situation is likely making it worse. Before the Habs get super desperate and fire Therrien, the Sabres need to fire Dan Bylsma and ask to speak to Claude Julien or Gerard Gallant asap before the Habs pluck one of them (let's be real, they speak french, so the Habs want one of them if Therrien is fired, because Montreal is like that).

Gallant would add in a system and structure which is what Buffalo desperately needs, Julien is more a guy that you add to a team like Dallas if Ruff is finally fired.

The funniest thing is the Habs situation, they're leading their division, 5pts back from the Pens overall and they want to fire Therrien? Lol. I hope they do it and have it back fire hard. But knowing the Habs, the only candidate they have is Gallant because he's french-canadian.

Or it'd be hilarious if they got Claude Julien to coach, that would be the 2nd time in Therrien's Hab career that he was fired and replaced by Julien on the same freaking team.

Never change you ass backward Montreal Canadiens.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I kind of wish we could grab Julien for an Assistant Coach job and maybe get rid of Tocchet. Not gonna happen, but it'd be fun.

That would never happen given Julien is still a good coach but like you I wish, I mean in Jacques Martin's case, he beat us in Round 3, then lost out in Round 1, missed the playoffs, didn't get a job for the year after that and joined the Pens as an Assistant and is likely one for good now. Even before that he missed 3yrs in a row with the Panthers or something. Claude missed 2yrs and was on the verge of missing a 3rd year, but I think the 4yrs prior when he won the Cup and made the finals 2x is going to make him a high in demand coach.

Julien is a solid possession driver as a coach, having an assistant that actually understood that would be amazing. I really hope the Pens decide to push Tocchet into another role after the season and let Sullivan find his own assistant. Hearing Rick talk reminds me of how many shots to the head he's taken.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I feel like Tocchet is the last gasp of the old regime, but then I remember that Dupuis is still hanging around and would probably get the job should Tocchet leave. And then I feel sad. :laugh:

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
Awesome turn of events. Wonder how Bruins fans are going to react when the Habs visit. Smart choice by Bergevin though. It does feel like Julien has something to prove to Boston, by immediately signing with (one of) their traditional rivals.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I literally posted that it would be funny and 20mins later it happens?

Uh...

It would be funny if Sakic trades us Duchene for Maatta, Kunitz, and a 2nd.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Stupid habs fans making this site go all wonky. Get a life you poutine eating ********, it's not like you haven't had this exact thing happen with the exact two people before. Jeez.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Montreal is nuts with the whole "gotta hire a French coach" thing. Too bad they didn't apply that to their players as well. "We'll take Fleury and give you Price!"

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I feel like Tocchet is the last gasp of the old regime, but then I remember that Dupuis is still hanging around and would probably get the job should Tocchet leave. And then I feel sad. :laugh:

Duper's gone. Got a job on the RDS broadcast.

If Jeremy Jacobs had the ability to save $0.25 by letting this happen he would say yes anyway.

Let it be known that Jacobs doesn't let money get in the way of spite.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/...my-jacobs-mark-bellissimo-wellington-florida/

He just must not have a lot of spite against the Habs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad