Around the NHL Thread - Start of the 2021/22 Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
8 years, $60M, $8M the first four years and $6M the final two is the max I'd go for Johnny.

The post pandemic contract parameters for forwards are out -

Barkov - $10.0 cap hit for elite #1 center
Zib - $8.5 cap hit for low end #1 center

scoring wingers like Gaudreau - $6.5 to $8.0 range likely

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
The post pandemic contract parameters for forwards are out -

Barkov - $10.0 cap hit for elite #1 center
Zib - $8.5 cap hit for low end #1 center

scoring wingers like Gaudreau - $6.5 to $8.0 range likely

What makes Zibanejad "low-end" versus Barkov being "elite"? I'm genuinely curious.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
What makes Zibanejad "low-end" versus Barkov being "elite"? I'm genuinely curious.
Zib isn’t great defensively. His takeaways are good, but his positioning isn’t great defensively. He has elite level offence though. Barkov is all-around excellent at both ends of the ice.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
Zib isn’t great defensively. His takeaways are good, but his positioning isn’t great defensively. He has elite level offence though. Barkov is all-around excellent at both ends of the ice.

So what makes Eichel worth Barkov money?

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
So what makes Eichel worth Barkov money?
Despite the common thought, Eichel is sneaky good defensively while also being Elite offensively. The only real knock on Eichel is health. He’s a true play driver, and makes the most of his TOI with lesser skilled players.

Eichel also has the highest potential still, he is truly a special player offensively. We just haven’t had a chance to see much of it yet other than glimpses.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
Despite the common thought, Eichel is sneaky good defensively while also being Elite offensively. The only real knock on Eichel is health. He’s a true play driver, and makes the most of his TOI with lesser skilled players.

Eichel also has the highest potential still, he is truly a special player offensively. We just haven’t had a chance to see much of it yet other than glimpses.

You'd just like to see a guy get paid $10M a year for what he does, not for what he might do.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
You'd just like to see a guy get paid $10M a year for what he does, not for what he might do.
Except that’s not how most things work. Forward looking individuals don’t pay for what someone has done, but pay for future potential and upside.

McDavid didn’t get $12.5M a season for his 108 point season in 17-18. He got it based on an assumption that his growth would continue.

In a business sense, when companies purchase assets - they pay a purchase price based on expected future cash flows or future value.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
Except that’s not how most things work. Forward looking individuals don’t pay for what someone has done, but pay for future potential and upside.

McDavid didn’t get $12.5M a season for his 108 point season in 17-18. He got it based on an assumption that his growth would continue.

In a business sense, when companies purchase assets - they pay a purchase price based on expected future cash flows or future value.

The only thing you have to base one's future potential on IS what they have done, otherwise you're just basically pulling an idea out of your ass and deciding it's worth $10M. Anyone who pays the slightest amount of attention to hockey knew McDavid was going to basically be the second coming. He was already the most talented player in the NHL before he even played his first game. The only players in the history of the league with a higher points per game average are Gretzky, Lemieux and Bossy, and goalies weren't anywhere near as good as they are today. McDavid is not the one to use as a comparable to Eichel.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
The only thing you have to base one's future potential on IS what they have done, otherwise you're just basically pulling an idea out of your ass and deciding it's worth $10M. Anyone who pays the slightest amount of attention to hockey knew McDavid was going to basically be the second coming. He was already the most talented player in the NHL before he even played his first game. The only players in the history of the league with a higher points per game average are Gretzky, Lemieux and Bossy, and goalies weren't anywhere near as good as they are today. McDavid is not the one to use as a comparable to Eichel.

If you read the context of my post - I’m not comparing their skills. To think I am is being disingenuous to the conversation.

I’m not here to argue about why Eichel is paid as such, when you clearly don’t want him and don’t value him as a great player.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I absolutely think Eichel could thrive here. Damn seeing Johnny and him on a line would be a thing of beauty. Lindholm and Tkachuk would absolutely feast on other 2/3 lines.

We would just need a player like Kylington to emerge and we would be laughing.

Reactions: Volica and Janks

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I absolutely think Eichel could thrive here. Damn seeing Johnny and him on a line would be a thing of beauty. Lindholm and Tkachuk would absolutely feast on other 2/3 lines.

We would just need a player like Kylington to emerge and we would be laughing.

You run:

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Mangiapane - Dube - Coleman
Lucic - Backlund - Pitlick

for the first 3-4 months of the season. Grind out, be near the playoff picture.

Once Eichel comes back:

Gaudreau - Eichel - Coleman
Mangiapane - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Lucic - Backlund - Dube

and just watch Sutter grind people to dust with possibly a top 5 first line in hockey, and possibly the best top 6 in hockey.

May 27, 2012
Earth
You run:

Once Eichel comes back:

Lucic - Backlund - Dube

and just watch Sutter grind people to dust with possibly a top 5 first line in hockey, and possibly the best top 6 in hockey.
5pya7y.jpg

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
If you read the context of my post - I’m not comparing their skills. To think I am is being disingenuous to the conversation.

I’m not here to argue about why Eichel is paid as such, when you clearly don’t want him and don’t value him as a great player.

It's not a question of whether I value him as a player, it's a question of what his actual value is, which is how comparables came into the conversation. If what he's done six years into his career to this point is any indication of what we'd get, is it worth giving up what it would likely cost to obtain him? I'm not saying he couldn't thrive here, I just don't have any evidence to suggest that he would. But, if Eichel can be had for Mony, Vali, Zary and a 1st, sign me up, I guess.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You run:

Once Eichel comes back:

Lucic - Backlund - Dube

I can’t handle it. Please tell your contact in the Flames I will do all sorts of awful things to make this happen. Like honestly, anything.

Reactions: Volica and Janks

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Classic Tre trade for a guy that won't be able to play most of this year so when we miss the playoffs we have to wait another year with this management group. Tre made his bed ride or die with this group but if we miss the playoffs please show Tre the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad