Around the NHL Thread - Start of the 2021/22 Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
True, they do want a more future based package but hard to make the salary work now. Badarov or Badbranson+Pitlick would have to go back to make the cap work.

Monahan+Badarov+Pellettier+Valiamki+2022 1st
To be quite honest, I don't think Buffalo has any intention of competing this year, or next year for that matter. I'd even suggest that short term cap dumps, that wouldn't impact their chance at a future franchise center, over the next two years, combined with higher end futures, would be more appealing.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Pre-season's almost over....have there been 1000 threads yet about how the Oilers are Cup Favs?
This is usually when those peak....then about midseason the tank threads show up.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Let's be real, that guy's name has been everywhere in media for months yet absolutely nothing has actually happened. The media dragged Kane's name through the mud for weeks on something that turned out to not even be true, then found another accusation to replace it with. Sports journalism is garbage.

They aren't just blowing smoke in either case though. Eichel has been stripped of his captaincy, and Kane has been barred from training camp.

If those aren't stories worth covering, what is? That "Matthews feels confident going into new season?"

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
They aren't just blowing smoke in either case though. Eichel has been stripped of his captaincy, and Kane has been barred from training camp.

If those aren't stories worth covering, what is? That "Matthews feels confident going into new season?"

That isn't how those respective "sagas" have been covered though. A story actually goes somewhere i.e. progress. I don't need anyone to tell me if there isn't any, and I don't need to hear stories that aren't true for the sake of there being nothing else to talk about. It just reaching for hits at this point.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
That isn't how those respective "sagas" have been covered though. A story actually goes somewhere i.e. progress. I don't need anyone to tell me if there isn't any, and I don't need to hear stories that aren't true for the sake of there being nothing else to talk about. It just reaching for hits at this point.
So you don't want to hear about the time someone was breaking into my home and I was pooping on the toilet?

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Have there been stories that aren't true, though? If a reporter said "Evander Kane falsified his vaccine card," then sure, but that isn't what the reports are. If they reported that "Jack Eichel will be traded within the next five days," that also would be untrue.

Headlines like "Evander Kane is being investigated for alleged falsification of his vaccine card" or "Eichel's medical record are being shared more openly around the NHL, renewing hope in an imminent trade" are (presumably) entirely true. Are they the purpose of journalism? Let me put it this way: a few weeks ago, I openly wondered on these forums if anyone knew what Kane was being investigated for this time. No one knew, but a bunch of us were curious. The only way we could possibly get the answer to that question would be a journalist finding out and reporting on it. Doing so as promptly as they could to satisfy the curiosity of the public is absolutely the job of a journalist.

I can get behind attacking journalists for making statements that aren't true (ie Eric Francis reporting repeatedly that Gaudreau had no interest in staying in Calgary long term), but reporting on the status of an ongoing saga is definitely an example of doing their job. I could also get behind attacking journalists for making something into a circus that is actually not a big deal (like the whole Kessel hot dog fiasco). But there is an actual concrete story here, and that story has certainly progressed. There was a lot of smoke about both players in the spring, and that smoke has turned into a fire in the fall. We have two extremely unique cases that I don't think are comparable to anything we've seen in the last decade or two. You can plug your ears and pretend it's not interesting, but by any measure it is.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Me too. Kessel loves his hotdogs and he is currently on the waitlist for an Oscar Myer sponsorship.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Faking a vaccine passport is a massive story. Not only is it a crime but how could you trust a guy like that in your organization moving forward.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
Faking a vaccine passport is a massive story. Not only is it a crime but how could you trust a guy like that in your organization moving forward.

I don't know if it's true, and I don't need anyone to tell me to speculate on whether or not is. It's none of my business, and has absolutely fk all to do with why I watch hockey.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Have there been stories that aren't true, though? If a reporter said "Evander Kane falsified his vaccine card," then sure, but that isn't what the reports are. If they reported that "Jack Eichel will be traded within the next five days," that also would be untrue.

Headlines like "Evander Kane is being investigated for alleged falsification of his vaccine card" or "Eichel's medical record are being shared more openly around the NHL, renewing hope in an imminent trade" are (presumably) entirely true. Are they the purpose of journalism? Let me put it this way: a few weeks ago, I openly wondered on these forums if anyone knew what Kane was being investigated for this time. No one knew, but a bunch of us were curious. The only way we could possibly get the answer to that question would be a journalist finding out and reporting on it. Doing so as promptly as they could to satisfy the curiosity of the public is absolutely the job of a journalist.

I can get behind attacking journalists for making statements that aren't true (ie Eric Francis reporting repeatedly that Gaudreau had no interest in staying in Calgary long term), but reporting on the status of an ongoing saga is definitely an example of doing their job. I could also get behind attacking journalists for making something into a circus that is actually not a big deal (like the whole Kessel hot dog fiasco). But there is an actual concrete story here, and that story has certainly progressed. There was a lot of smoke about both players in the spring, and that smoke has turned into a fire in the fall. We have two extremely unique cases that I don't think are comparable to anything we've seen in the last decade or two. You can plug your ears and pretend it's not interesting, but by any measure it is.

Not saying it isn’t true, but what is the smoke other than the reporter. I legit don’t know.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary

Please point to me the legislation that makes it a crime. There is a massive disconnect going on and it isn't the publics fault because we have zero real news informing them of anything real. In the USA no 'law' can break the Constitution of the USA. It's the same in Canada with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. What is happening is that contract law is being applied and I bet the Sharks will look at removing Kane for 'breech of contract'. It's actually similar to Eichel in that it is a health choice. It's just one player is wanted and the other is not. It's only by contract that the constitutions can be 'ignored' but if you are aware that the contract is in violation then you can void it... Like a speeding ticket It's an invitation to contract with a jurisdiction. I can PM anyone a 30 min video of a very intelligent and patient man explaining contract law to the Police while they're trying to assign a 'law' (contract) to him. The Police Supervisor thanks him for his time and they make an agreement to meet up off shift to learn more. It's a great video.

Faking a vaccine passport is stupid. That stuff is registered. He would have been better off making the Sharks fire him for breech of contract and then suing them. That would have worked.

We live in very interesting times.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darth Vladar

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Not saying it isn’t true, but what is the smoke other than the reporter. I legit don’t know.
What I mean is that all those reports about the Sharks players not wanting Kane back etc. would've been dumb journalism if it was business as usual. But it isn't. The reporting predicted a messy situation, and sure enough come training camp, the Sharks are looking for a way to get rid of the guy.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
What I mean is that all those reports about the Sharks players not wanting Kane back etc. would've been dumb journalism if it was business as usual. But it isn't. The reporting predicted a messy situation, and sure enough come training camp, the Sharks are looking for a way to get rid of the guy.

I'd be curious to read those "reports" if you have them.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021

In that case, my sources tell me that I'm rich, handsome, talented and have a big D lmao I guess that makes it true, since my sources confirmed it.

Seriously, the only verifiable truths in that entire article are that Kane was accused of gambling, denied it (and was ultimately vindicated for), filed for Chapter 7, sought counselling for his addiction, and voluntarily took a leave from the Hockey Diversity Alliance. Oh, and that he just came off one of the best seasons of his career. Pretty much everything I've been saying all along.

I don't know what's more irresponsible, what actually passes for "journalism" nowadays, or the people who allow garbage like this to distort their perception of the world we share.

Last edited:

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
In that case, my sources tell me that I'm rich, handsome, talented and have a big D lmao I guess that makes it true, since my sources confirmed it.

Seriously, the only verifiable truths in that entire article are that Kane was accused of gambling, denied it (and was ultimately vindicated for), filed for Chapter 7, sought counselling for his addiction, and voluntarily took a leave from the Hockey Diversity Alliance. Oh, and that he just came off one of the best seasons of his career. Pretty much everything I've been saying all along.

I don't know what's more irresponsible, what actually passes for "journalism" nowadays, or the people who allow garbage like this to distort their perception of the world we share.
There's a history with Kane. Trouble has more or less followed him from day one. I see no reason to question it. Even if he wasn't a total dick, which is actually pretty obvious, players tend to hate distraction and media circuses. Thats one of the main reasons why players prefer to play down south, verses being scrutinized in a Canadian market. If you like the guy, thats fine, but there's more than enough evidence to support the guy being poison.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
There's a history with Kane. Trouble has more or less followed him from day one. I see no reason to question it. Even if he wasn't a total dick, which is actually pretty obvious, players tend to hate distraction and media circuses. Thats one of the main reasons why players prefer to play down south, verses being scrutinized in a Canadian market. If you like the guy, thats fine, but there's more than enough evidence to support the guy being poison.

None of what you (and many others) are saying actually constitutes evidence though. That's the problem. His reputation is not what's being debated here. It's whether or not he actually did anything wrong for his name to be dragged through the mud in the media, which there is not only zero evidence of, but the initial reports were in fact proven to be false. The only distraction here was caused by the media itself. Kane had one of the best seasons of his career, so if there were truly any issues involving him, you'd think he'd be the one most affected by them, but he was arguably the best player on their team last year. Not questioning something like this is evidence of people rationalizing how they already want to feel about something, rather than view it objectively, which should be the purpose of all media, but isn't. All this Kane/Eichel business did was start a thousand rumour vlog careers on YouTube this summer. Two separate stories in which nothing at all really happened, yet managed to somehow keep people talking about for months because everything about either situation was politicized.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

jca.gif

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad