Around the NHL Thread - Found the Missing #16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
3-0 for the Kings vs the Oilers... first period.

Kostco just pulled after facing 8 shots.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Oilers have 3 shots on goal with 3 minutes left in the first against LA

Reactions: Cyrano

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
End of the first:

Oilers with 3 shots on net.
Kings with 3 goals.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
How long until Edmonton's perennial garbage play dries up their fanbase and they finally move that team to Portland?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Oilers going into full tank mode? 6 pts out of last place in the league. They've lost 6 out of their last 7. Working on 7 out of 8.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Ha Ha... Kevin Bieksa. What a douche bag. Frankly I'd rather listen to Francis.... can't believe I just said that.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Elliot Freedman just said that if the Hart Trophy was voted on today that Johnny would win it. His fellow Sportsnet panelists agreed.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
When Alex Chiasson is your best winger...you have a pretty serious problem

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Oilers finish with 16 SOG.
Was just perusing these stats.

4 from McDavid
2 from Draisaitl
1 from Nuge

8 from defensemen

1 shot from Khaira

That’s right. The entirety of the Oilers bottom 9 forwards (in terms of separation from the obvious top 3 and the rest) combined for one shot in sixty minutes.

That is horrendous. And to think Chia traded Caggiula. My god.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
What do you even do if you're the Oilers GM at this point? Let's say I woke up, Chia was fired, and a competent GM cam in...The team is in salary cap hell, and doesn't know how to develop young talent.

I guess my first order of business would be to trade either Nuge or Drai for support on the wings...But they still have maybe the worst defense in the league. The whole thing is a mess.

All it reinforces is my love for a guy like Tre. Yeah he may always have a crap UFA signing on the roster. But his ability to negotiate with our RFAs and make quality trades has set us up well for a long time.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
What do you even do if you're the Oilers GM at this point? Let's say I woke up, Chia was fired, and a competent GM cam in...The team is in salary cap hell, and doesn't know how to develop young talent.

I guess my first order of business would be to trade either Nuge or Drai for support on the wings...But they still have maybe the worst defense in the league. The whole thing is a mess.

All it reinforces is my love for a guy like Tre. Yeah he may always have a crap UFA signing on the roster. But his ability to negotiate with our RFAs and make quality trades has set us up well for a long time.

They can't do anything, the only way to recoup the assets Chia pissed away is through the draft.
They can't plug the holes with any major trades because trading anyone worth anything would in turn cripple that part of their paper thin roster.
Rebuilding through UFAs never works and they won't sign with EDM anyway.

IMO it'll take at least 3 years to fix Chia's mess, and that's assuming he's fired now along with Lowe, MacT and everyone else.

Actually, the quickest way for them to ice a respectable roster would probably be to trade McDavid for some insane haul, Lindros-style. Might not want to do that with the current GM though... :laugh:

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
They can't do anything, the only way to recoup the assets Chia pissed away is through the draft.
They can't plug the holes with any major trades because trading anyone worth anything would in turn cripple that part of their paper thin roster.
Rebuilding through UFAs never works and they won't sign with EDM anyway.

IMO it'll take at least 3 years to fix Chia's mess, and that's assuming he's fired now along with Lowe, MacT and everyone else.

Actually, the quickest way for them to ice a respectable roster would probably be to trade McDavid for some insane haul, Lindros-style. Might not want to do that with the current GM though... :laugh:

Yeah, but even for that to work they'd have to figure out how to actually develop young talent. something they cannot currently do. I honestly cannot see any hope for years to come. Who knows though, starting with a wholesale firing of all the management could do wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad