Around the NHL Thread - Found the Missing #16

Status
Not open for further replies.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
The great thing is that the Seattle Airports can only take one player. The question will become is protecting one additional defenseman more valuable than protecting three forwards?

The Flames might, just might, consider protecting 8 skaters instead of 7 forwards and 3 defensemen, in order to keep the top four D intact. (Top 5, if the Airports don't take Giordano).

As of right now, I don't see a reason or a need to protect any forward other than Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, or Lindholm.

One player? That’s where you’re wrong kiddo. Chuck Fletcher already called to offer up Provorov as long as Seattle promises to take Konecny

Reactions: Kipper933

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
The great thing is that the Seattle Airports can only take one player. The question will become is protecting one additional defenseman more valuable than protecting three forwards?

The Flames might, just might, consider protecting 8 skaters instead of 7 forwards and 3 defensemen, in order to keep the top four D intact. (Top 5, if the Airports don't take Giordano).

As of right now, I don't see a reason or a need to protect any forward other than Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, or Lindholm.
In all honesty, if Gaudreau isn’t extended by the expansion, there could be a huge shake up on the horizon. I think the Tavares situation will probably impact how GM’s deal with high end UFA’s in the future. Just can’t afford to leave the door open, for guys of that caliber, to potential walk for nothing.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
If we lose Backlund though, we lose @InfinityIggy
You may think this is suffering... No. It is salvation... Universal scales, tipped toward balance because of his sacrifice.

One player? That’s where you’re wrong kiddo. Chuck Fletcher already called to offer up Provorov as long as Seattle promises to take Konecny
Well one player from the Flames, assuming they don't sign one of our free agent cast-offs.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I’m actually not even a little bit. He’s going to be a stud two way player.

Okay, but in two years? I agree with you and think he has tremendous upside but I think it's gonna be more than just two years before he reaches it.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Okay, but in two years? I agree with you and think he has tremendous upside but I think it's gonna be more than just two years before he reaches it.

Maybe it’s a little pre-mature for sure. I just think he’s the one prospect that does everything well as a forward. Honestly I can’t remember a forward prospect we’ve had that looks so well rounded. I think most of our guys are more offensively oriented but with Dube I see the potential to be that Backlund type possession monster defensive stud. That said I agree with your main point and think we go 7-3 and lose one of our good D.

I have faith in Button to replenish our D more so than any other position. They seem to know what a good modern D looks like.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
In all honesty, if Gaudreau isn’t extended by the expansion, there could be a huge shake up on the horizon. I think the Tavares situation will probably impact how GM’s deal with high end UFA’s in the future. Just can’t afford to leave the door open, for guys of that caliber, to potential walk for nothing.

Tavares is a super rare example. How many proper elite talents (and franchise players) have hit free agency in the past decade+? Sure some decent talent comes now and again, but no franchise caliber players outside of Tavares. And most really good talent players usually fall off a cliff in like 1-2 years. Suter and Hossa are the only two I can think of that were huge for their teams for more than 2 years.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

He's already likely too good for the AHL.
He feels like a tweener right now, only one way up.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Tavares is a super rare example. How many proper elite talents (and franchise players) have hit free agency in the past decade+? Sure some decent talent comes now and again, but no franchise caliber players outside of Tavares. And most really good talent players usually fall off a cliff in like 1-2 years. Suter and Hossa are the only two I can think of that were huge for their teams for more than 2 years.
I guess I wasn’t overly clear. Most teams want their star UFA’s extended prior to entering their final year of contract. With the expansion, I would assume they’d push even harder to have Johnny locked up, but in extending high end UFA’s there’s always cap ramifications. Say, for example, Johnny wants $10.5 million. It could change our whole strategy for the expansion draft, forcing Treliving to move one of the higher contracts. Is sacrificing Backlund at the draft worth it, to sign Johnny, I’d say it probably is.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
My guess is Backlund is the one claimed. I’m also fine with it.

NwcBuc5.gif

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I know this is a weird question, but I really like this kind of random stats and observations. Calgary allowed 9 goals against Pittsburgh, then later in the season scored 9 against Columbus. This season so far TB has scored 7 goals in a game, and allowed 7 in another. So what the record all time, highest number of goals allowed and then scored during a season? And I want the numbers to be the same and even, so allowing 7 and scoring 8 does not count. 10-10 tie would of course count but I'd guess that has never happened.

edit: Florida with 7 scored and 7 allowed this season as well

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I know this is a weird question, but I really like this kind of random stats and observations. Calgary allowed 9 goals against Pittsburgh, then later in the season scored 9 against Columbus. This season so far TB has scored 7 goals in a game, and allowed 7 in another. So what the record all time, highest number of goals allowed and then scored during a season? And I want the numbers to be the same and even, so allowing 7 and scoring 8 does not count. 10-10 tie would of course count but I'd guess that has never happened.

The erratic nature of this season is simply jaw dropping. I don't think I have seen this type of hockey league wide since the early 90's. In regards to your weird stats I don't have a source for that but it has to be out there.

Reactions: Kahvi

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Colorado with 7 scored and 7 allowed as well, though the 7 allowed was an OT game.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
The erratic nature of this season is simply jaw dropping. I don't think I have seen this type of hockey league wide since the early 90's. In regards to your weird stats I don't have a source for that but it has to be out there.

I guess high scoring causes that, so going to 80's might help. If it is the chest protectors, who'd guess it'd be this easy to increase scoring

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017

I can’t be certain but I want to say that Pittsburgh or Philly last year or the year before got pumped 10-1 then turned around and did it right back to someone else

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
A92E70BD-76BF-4780-B3D4-BFC2C413B826.jpeg

I was wrong about both teams. Best I could find was Montreal, 2 years ago. Lost to Columbus 10-0 then one month later beat Colorado 10-1

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
There was also another fun weird stat. Last week Colorado against Pittsburgh won 6-3. They went up 3-0, then it was 3-3, then won 6-3 final. Last night, Pittsburgh went up 3-0, became tied 3-3, then won 6-3. Oh and both games a Penguins player had a hattrick.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I am legit not joking, and honestly I think we should all want it to happen. A lot can change in a couple years, but right now I don’t see any situation that Gio is exposed. I think Brodie and Hamonic could be both be gone, so that leaves us protecting 3 of Gio, Hanifin, Valimaki, Kylington and Andersson.

For the forwards, it’s a sure bet that Monahan, Gaudreau, Lindholm and Tkachuk are protected. Backlund will be over 30 by then and I think we all want our young guys to emerge and become impact players. Meaning that Dube, Jankowski and Mangiapagne should hopefully evolve into cost controlled valuable players. I am also hopeful Bennett continues to become something and cements himself as a core piece. Neal isn’t going to be claimed, so taking a 30 year old with significant cap left on his deal for a team that will need space isn’t an awful idea.

Reactions: SKRusty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad