OT: Around the NHL: The Playoffs | Boudreau Team Blows a 3-2 Lead; Water Remains Wet

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Burns is infinitely more effective playing D than he is at wing. Yeah, he plays as a roving 4th forward and is not so good at all in his own zone, but when he's far less effective when he's just a roving.. 3rd forward. Plus he's got a partner that can more than cover for him anyways.

I'm not going to dig through the numbers to confirm that he's getting scored on more, but it seems to me when Burns was a wing, I saw a lot less goals against San Jose where I said to myself "Ugh, what the Hell was Burns doing there."

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I am always perplexed by Burke's fashion when he's on television. It's not as crazy today, but it's still odd.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
Islanders look completely out of their depth during those first ten minutes. That NYR PP reminds me of the way the Penguins PP sometimes saps the life right out of the team. In other news, Drouin keeps on paddling, no need to resign Stamkos for that crazy amount of money.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I'm not going to dig through the numbers to confirm that he's getting scored on more, but it seems to me when Burns was a wing, I saw a lot less goals against San Jose where I said to myself "Ugh, what the Hell was Burns doing there."

Burns has terrible hockey sense but is huge and a great skater. It's a much better use of his talents to play him at wing and have him be the lead forechecker essentially telling him to "go chase the puck" than have him try to read the play in his own zone.

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
Burns has terrible hockey sense but is huge and a great skater. It's a much better use of his talents to play him at wing and have him be the lead forechecker essentially telling him to "go chase the puck" than have him try to read the play in his own zone.

Guy doesn't put up 75 goddamn points in 82 games as a D-man if he has "terrible hockey sense." It sounds like a lot of you know very little about Brent Burns. Saying you think he's better at wing is one thing, but calling his hockey sense bad is laughable. His defensive awareness is certainly lacking, but not hockey sense.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
OMG is the NHL clueless. Yes, let's put a bunch of stone-faced old guys in chairs and then play depressing soap opera music in the background as picks are made. It literally feels like a documentary where they're talking about someone just being murdered if you close your eyes and change the words from pick to pick axe. lol

Also Go Jets.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
The Caps ran themselves into the ground, first by forcing Boudreau to play a defensive style that didn't suit his coaching style nor did it suit the roster that they had constructed. Secondly by replacing him with Hunter, an awful coach, and then Oates, another awful coach who was Bylsma-level cocky about his terrible decisions. Thirdly, by McPhee making a bunch of terrible moves.

There are plenty of good coaches that can't get it done when it matters most. Boudreau is just one of them. He isn't a minor league coach like Mike Johnston.
This makes no sense. How can the coach not be responsible for the style of play for his own team?

Boudreau sucks. No team will accomplish anything if he's behind their bench.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
This makes no sense. How can the coach not be responsible for the style of play for his own team?

Boudreau sucks. No team will accomplish anything if he's behind their bench.

Some team that would be happy to just make the playoffs will hire him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
OMG is the NHL clueless. Yes, let's put a bunch of stone-faced old guys in chairs and then play depressing soap opera music in the background as picks are made. It literally feels like a documentary where they're talking about someone just being murdered if you close your eyes and change the words from pick to pick axe. lol

Also Go Jets.

What a huge coup for them. They go from likely getting another really good prospect who may take a few years to make an impact at #6, to punching a golden ticket for a much-needed franchise talent who can make an immediate impact at #2 - whether that's Matthews or Laine.

With Scheifele's emergence, Ehlers having another year of development under his belt, and Connor coming in...that's gonna be a team to watch next season.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Jets are in such a brutal division though. Another reason why this new format sucks.

For sure. But that's why getting an impact player is so crucial for them...it potentially gives the Jets a gamebreaking answer to the Benns/Seguins/Kanes of the world.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
Fun start in Dallas. Up and down, a lot more fun to watch than the Kings grabbing, clutching and clogging things up.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Why is Jagr a Masterson finalist? What traumatic event did he overcome to stay in hockey? Getting tax free paychecks in europe for a few years?

This is as silly as Dubnyk.winning it because he was traded to a crap team. Unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad