Around the NHL - the deadline is around the corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Trotz is working his Nashville magic on Long Island.
In Nashville he had an unreal group of defensemen and made it work.

The guy goes to the Isles, loses Tavares before he even starts work and his #1 is Robin Lehner, a guy with some serious demons that wanted a shot to redeem himself.

Trotz is easily the Jack Adams winner this season, no one even comes close.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Washington’s roster is wayyyy different than ours. Call me when we have a player like Ovechkin who can snap in a stationary goal whenever he chooses.

Phil could if he were ever willing to shoot. :laugh:

AND, Trotz didn't adapt last season because Ovechkin can snap a stationary goal. He adapted because he realize that his team was better suited to play a style where they played back more and tried to generate more off neutral zone counters.

When you only have 1 defenseman who can move the puck, I'd argue that's probably a better system for a team. And, regardless of the defensemen, I'd argue (and the history bears out) that some players, like Geno, are better suited to play that kind of system in general.

The guy goes to the Isles, loses Tavares before he even starts work and his #1 is Robin Lehner, a guy with some serious demons that wanted a shot to redeem himself.

Not in the beginning.

That said, absolutely, he's got less to work with now, and this 100% may be the best coaching job he's ever done.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

AND, Trotz didn't adapt last season because Ovechkin can snap a stationary goal. He adapted because he realize that his team was better suited to play a style where they played back more and tried to generate more off neutral zone counters.

When you only have 1 defenseman who can move the puck, I'd argue that's probably a better system for a team. And, regardless of the defensemen, I'd argue (and the history bears out) that some players, like Geno, are better suited to play that kind of system in general.

Not in the beginning.

That said, absolutely, he's got less to work with now, and this 100% may be the best coaching job he's ever done.

You mean like Sullivan realized in 15-16 our forwards / D wasn’t good at getting kept in their own zone so we just flipped the puck out any time we were in danger?

Or in 16-17 when they realized our forward depth and d depth wouldn’t be able to compensate for Letang so they just threw everyone they could on line 1 and 2 and let Bonino and Cullen’s lines play block city?

Sully was even able to make us look great for a month and a half this season until the players went back to their bad traits.

Let’s be honest the issue is our D is terrible and Sullivan would probably happily scratch JJ.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Trotz won the JA in 15-16. Bylsma won it in 2011 :naughty:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Not in the beginning.

The more I watch league-wide games I am beginning to see that there is a fortune to made off of NZ counters.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

He’s actually been running Greiss equal to Lehner.

And it wasn’t until recently Nash had a great group of D. Before they were a D factory they were a goalie factory. Vokoun, Ellis, Mason, etc. And that extends to who is coaching the goalies in New York right now.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He’s actually been running Greiss equal to Lehner.

And it wasn’t until recently Nash had a great group of D. Before they were a D factory they were a goalie factory. Vokoun, Ellis, Mason, etc. And that extends to who is coaching the goalies in New York right now.

You are ignoring when they had Suter, Weber, Klein, and Hamhuis.

I've been a fan of Horny since his rookie year, I used to watch a few Preds games here and there and yeah the goalies were fantastic, but they were playing a lot behind those 4 logging huge minutes.

Nashville has never not been a Defense factory.

Weber
Suter
Hamhuis
Klein
Ekholm
Ellis
Josi

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Trotz is a proven winner.

He made the Preds a force.
He then made the Caps finally win a cup.
Now the Islanders stopped being a joke and this after losing their franchise player.

He did.
But in hockey while a well worked system will trump 1 star player it just may not sell as many seats.

Edit:
Tuesday I may watch Isles v Buf.... but then there is CBJ v WASH.... hmmmmm both at 7 too damnit, not too many games this year offset by 7 and 730 starts.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You are ignoring when they had Suter, Weber, Klein, and Hamhuis.

I've been a fan of Horny since his rookie year, I used to watch a few Preds games here and there and yeah the goalies were fantastic, but they were playing a lot behind those 4 logging huge minutes.

Nashville has never not been a Defense factory.

Weber
Suter
Hamhuis
Klein
Ekholm
Ellis
Josi

When their D was players like early Weber / Suter with Timo and Hamhuis leading the charge it was nowhere near where it is today.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Sometimes, I feel like you just like pointing out dumb ****, right...that group was just absolute ass.

Well, they weren’t really known for their D until Suter left.

Zidlicky and Zanon were playing major minutes for them post lock out. And Klein is a weird player to cite. Is Cody Franson another one of their dominate D’s? Lol

Nash played the exact type of way the Isles are right now which is easy for regular season success but once they get to the playoffs they’ll be fodder just like the Preds were until they brought in some actually superstar talent.

Reactions: BHD and KIRK

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Yes and no.

Islanders to play 12 games at Nassau Coliseum in 2018-19

I was wrong about where they're spending the bulk of their time. It's still Brooklyn. 60 games over the next 3 years though will be at the old arena on Long Island.

So they play in 2 arenas? Hempstead and Brooklyn? How weird. You know why?

Lurker coming in peace. That article is incorrect, we will actually play 21 games at the Coliseum by the end of this year. The last game in Brooklyn is Feb 16th, with all remaining home games being played in Nassau. They still have not made a decision on where the playoffs will take place or how many games will be played in Nassau in the coming years (it is expected to be more than half, or even all of the games).

The reasoning behind it is complicated. Barclays is a terrible place to watch a hockey game, and the travel limitations make it very difficult for Suffolk County fans to attend the games. The majority of fans would prefer the games to be in Nassau, and the demand there is significantly higher. The owner of Barclays Center (BSE) won a bid a few years back to renovate and operate the Nassau Coliseum, which was completed in Spring 2017. However, the renovations were not significant and it did not fix the major issues with the Coliseum. The Belmont Arena project is scheduled to break ground in May, and it looks like the Coliseum will be the primary home of the Isles again until the opening of the new arena in 2021-2022.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
The Penguins would be even worse if we implemented that system.

We’re built to play an uptempo, forecheck with quick moving D.

Sorta. Forwards haven't had much gusto in chasing the puck and coverage on forecheck.

The issue is JR brought in a bunch of D that don’t play that way.

...so..then they really AREN'T "built to play an uptempo forecheck with quick moving D," because the backend is certainly not quick moving anything, either.

The defense is lost. The forwards are off. They are built like a mediocre team that doesn't support each end of the ice.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Roster has nothing to do with it.

Every team is fast.

Speed isn’t an advantage for anyone anymore.

Also, pardon me, but I won’t look at what Honour said considering he’s been hating on the team since December because of how we treated Sprong. And how Sullivan must be fired at no cost and he’ll laugh at us all once we realize it..

Sorry, but I watched them play against Tampa, and they looked like they were a few steps behind. Mind you, every team will looking slower against them. However, the speed this team once had isn't there anymore. IMO, part of it has to do with guys that Rutherford has brought in.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sorry, but I watched them play against Tampa, and they looked like they were a few steps behind. Mind you, every team will looking slower against them. However, the speed this team once had isn't there anymore. IMO, part of it has to do with guys that Rutherford has brought in.
It's why Ferland would be a good add, but I think Dzingel would add that element back into the Pens line-up and he's a damn good player too.

I just don't know what the Senators are doing right now, they want to spend money all of a sudden, so maybe they want to retain some of these guys instead of use them as trade deadline bait. But if Ottawa ever wants to move him, I am hoping JR lands Dzingel at a good cost.

Reactions: BHD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad