Around The NHL - The Craig Morgan Vacation Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Only 20 goaltenders have actually played 50+ games this far, so the names he is beating on that far-more-lean list are illustrious names like Lehner, Markstrom, Howard, Talbot, Allen, Halak, Holtby, Anderson...

ETA: strange that 20 games of a Mike Smith hot streak to start the season was enough time to declare him tops and the trade a huge mistake, but now that his Mr.Hyde side has predictably shown up and his numbers are again pedestrian, we need a bigger sample size from Raanta than 42 games to make any judgement...

Last edited:
Reactions: CC96

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Checking in on one of the YUGE mistakes this year...

23rd among NHL goaltenders with over 15 GP

Raanta at #9 with .926
Kuemper at #15 with .921

We're paying both less than we would have paid Smith this year. I'm not sure what the handicap is for playing in front of the worst team ever with no system and the worst coaching, but I can't imagine it helps the argument to have not cleaned out the miasma from the lockerroom.
Why do you always go back and compare to last year and beyond? You compare RT with DT, this years team with last years, this years goalies with last years. I really don't care what happened last year, we can't change the result. Tear down that rear view mirror you are using and start looking to the future.

Reactions: cobra427

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Why do you always go back and compare to last year and beyond? You compare RT with DT, this years team with last years, this years goalies with last years. I really don't care what happened last year, we can't change the result. Tear down that rear view mirror you are using and start looking to the future.
Is this the advice you gave yourself in November?

Reactions: CC96

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!

I think that’s life man. You need to have some kind of barometer for progress. If not, then what’s the point? Why even have a Stanley cup or put someone’s name on it? Why have a job performance review or keep them?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think that’s life man. You need to have some kind of barometer for progress. If not, then what’s the point? Why even have a Stanley cup or put someone’s name on it? Why have a job performance review or keep them?
I guess that is true to a certain extent, but today is different than yesterday in so many ways that outcomes can be totally different. I prefer to look ahead and not dwell on the past. It's history, can't be changed, good or bad.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I guess that is true to a certain extent, but today is different than yesterday in so many ways that outcomes can be totally different. I prefer to look ahead and not dwell on the past. It's history, can't be changed, good or bad.

Those who ignore the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them.

Reactions: AZviaNJ and doaner

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
It's a franchise. The Coyotes have their own company, their own accounting, they are a separate entity.

Thank you Captain Obvious.

Gosbee made that observation. He also said it doesn’t operate like what one would think.

It isn’t a McDonalds. But if you wish to cling to that model go right ahead and continue to be wrong.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Earlier in the season you said you regarded this season as a huge step backwards, and that we wouldn't have been in that spot if Barroway hadn't pushed for changes, and that it was all on him. I can only assume the point of reference for "backwards" and "change" was all the way back to last year. I'm just taking another look at your claims to see if they hold water.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Only 20 goaltenders have actually played 50+ games this far, so the names he is beating on that far-more-lean list are illustrious names like Lehner, Markstrom, Howard, Talbot, Allen, Halak, Holtby, Anderson...

ETA: strange that 20 games of a Mike Smith hot streak to start the season was enough time to declare him tops and the trade a huge mistake, but now that his Mr.Hyde side has predictably shown up and his numbers are again pedestrian, we need a bigger sample size from Raanta than 42 games to make any judgement...
I didn't count the number of goalies above 50 games, but thought that would be a good benchmark of which ones played as starters for the year so far, weren't out for a long period with injuries or splitting time with another goal tender. According to your research, Smith would be in the top half being 10th out of 20 in save %.

These are facts, not an opinion. I hope Raanta plays 55+ games next year at a .925% save clip or better:)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Earlier in the season you said you regarded this season as a huge step backwards, and that we wouldn't have been in that spot if Barroway hadn't pushed for changes, and that it was all on him. I can only assume the point of reference for "backwards" and "change" was all the way back to last year. I'm just taking another look at your claims to see if they hold water.
I was stating a fact not looking back to the year previous. Hindsight is fine if you learn or understand it, but to state or compare something that is current to something happened one, two, three years ago without having all the facts is a waste of time. My opinion of course.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
How can you go backwards from a blank slate? You were obviously comparing us to last year.

But I agree, your blind assertion of questionable opinions after only 10 games was a waste of time.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I find Keller to be a very frustrating player to watch live. And I don't mean that he is doing things that annoy me. I want to see the great players make lots of plays and be part of the game at all times and the games I attend I don't seem to even notice Keller on the ice at all and then I recall the score sheet and there he is every time?? I guess that's a credit to him that he just goes about his business kinda quietly while racking up the points?? I wish we get another few quiet 60 something point guys next year!!!

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
I find Keller to be a very frustrating player to watch live. And I don't mean that he is doing things that annoy me. I want to see the great players make lots of plays and be part of the game at all times and the games I attend I don't seem to even notice Keller on the ice at all and then I recall the score sheet and there he is every time?? I guess that's a credit to him that he just goes about his business kinda quietly while racking up the points?? I wish we get another few quiet 60 something point guys next year!!!

Gotta give the guy a break, he's only 19. Seem like he's the next great thing

Reactions: RABBIT

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it

Who are these scrubs with keller?

wow, whatta killer.

Strange, he is pretty much the only really distinguishable player for me. Just try following him for a period. That's what i do when i really want to get to know a player. Once you study his style for a period he'll immediately catch your eye every time he's on the ice.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Is this a joke?
Keller is actually one of the few players that stand out on the ice.
Great speed and has that hockey sense to create plays. Not just a finisher here. He's reminds me a lot of Brad Marchand without the spice.
Coyote fans are unreal.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I think it's more of how the game is played now, very few players carry the puck or the play. And yes I'm serious it seems like Keller gets points every game with barely having the puck on his stick for seconds. That's all I'm saying, I don't hate the player, I just want to be more excited by his production. It's a kinda 1st world problem.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017

Technically, I've never watched him live, only on TV.

Still, if there is any player I notice, that would be him. So this comment leaves me very puzzled.

On another note, I see Casey Middeltstadt will make his debut in the NHL tonight. I kind of made myself believe this is the player the Yotes would have picked at 7 if the pick hadn't been sold (wonder if I ever get to know if I guessed that one.) So I should probably root for a bust. But I don't. Buffalo surely needs to have some hope, too.

And you don't do pull-ups on the ice.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

Are you certain? He's had flashy plays and generally controls the play every game he plays. I'm kind of baffled.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Are you certain? He's had flashy plays and generally controls the play every game he plays. I'm kind of baffled.
Yeah might just be games I'm at and again he is obviously a good player It's just the games I've been at he gets points but they have not been flashy and he didn't carry the play. The Kane references didn't fit the games I watched. But then again a guy who gets points that regularly is obviously doing something right as It's not like he can ride his teammates coatails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad