OT: Around the NHL - The Big Asterisks Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Has a Torts team ever scored 3 goals in a playoff win?

I hate a series where a bunch of superstars are nullified by a bunch of grinders.
Should be used to it watching the Pens all these years...

Superstars don’t automatically insure wins over “mediocre” teams, especially when those “grinder” teams play like a cohesive unit and play simple fundamental hockey.

This CBJ/TOR game is just another illustration of how tough, hard nosed “grinders” can frustrate and shut down far superior talent. Regardless of whether you like it or not, it is the reality of the NHL.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I am not a traditionalist. I would make the nets an inch taller, crack down on pad sizes for goalies, and institute a minor penalty for utilizing the trap, left wing lock, and the 1-3-1.

You can't make the rinks larger, but you can get scoring to a historically reasonable level other ways.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Haven't been too impressed with alot of the hockey I've seen so far. Pretty predictable the teams that are playing well early on are the ones that rely least on an up tempo speed/skill game.

Last edited:

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
I am not a traditionalist. I would make the nets an inch taller, crack down on pad sizes for goalies, and institute a minor penalty for utilizing the trap, left wing lock, and the 1-3-1.

You can't make the rinks larger, but you can get scoring to a historically reasonable level other ways.
Look, I don’t disagree with you. Every other major sport has modified the rules to allow more offense and scoring, while the NHL continues to regress back to the dead puck era of clutching and grabbing and “subtle interference”.

Im totally with you, but the reality is that as of right now, “traditionalist” hockey is the order of the day.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Look, I don’t disagree with you. Every other major sport has modified the rules to allow more offense and scoring, while the NHL continues to regress back to the dead puck era of clutching and grabbing and “subtle interference”.

Im totally with you, but the reality is that as of right now, “traditionalist” hockey is the order of the day.

Don't get me wrong at all, I appreciate hockey games of all types and the skill level of the league has never been higher.

It was an interesting point I heard a few weeks ago that charging is almost never called because the entire game is played at charging speed these days.

Reactions: Bingo71

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Look at the physicality in the first 10 minutes of this Wild/Nucks game.

When’s the last time you saw the Pens with this sort of physicality???

Oh wait, I know, I know, “speed kills”...

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Don't get me wrong at all, I appreciate hockey games of all types and the skill level of the league has never been higher.

It was an interesting point I heard a few weeks ago that charging is almost never called because the entire game is played at charging speed these days.
Still doesn’t excuse guys like Wilson and Ovie leaving their feet on every hit...

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Holy shit, if the Pens were playing either of these teams right now and had to deal with this level of physicality, half the roster would be dead or injured by now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad