OT: Around the NHL - The Big Asterisks Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I don't recall there being an asterisk associated with 2013. But that was probably determined after the fact when an Original Six team and greatest player ever Toews won. Had the Penguins won that year, that sentiment might have been a little different.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
I mean. Every team was on equal footing going into ‘13. Here, this season was stopped at an arbitrary point — to the benefit of some and to the detriment of others. (the later to us.. besides the point though) And now a finish to an interrupted season, perhaps 4-5 months later?

Reactions: EightyOne

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I mean. Every team was on equal footing going into ‘13. Here, this season was stopped at an arbitrary point — to the benefit of some and to the detriment of others. (the later to us.. besides the point though) And now a finish to an interrupted season, perhaps 4-5 months later?

Not really sure how that puts other teams at an advantage.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I don't recall there being an asterisk associated with 2013. But that was probably determined after the fact when an Original Six team and greatest player ever Toews won. Had the Penguins won that year, that sentiment might have been a little different.

All 30 teams played the same amount of games in the regular season (albeit, an abbreviated one).

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
We'll take it if we win, sure

But this season and playoffs are a damn joke

Reactions: BHD

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Who are we so worried about winning that there's going to be an asterisk? We'll win.

And EVERYONE will be clamoring of the biggest of asterisks if the Pens win lol

Just means we get to do more

tenor.gif

Reactions: Bumpus

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
so when will overseas players be able to return stateside? also gotta wonder if a player tests covid positive what then? almost seems like you should just have all of em get covid now, develop the antibodies and play on. I mean you can't do that, but in some ways I do wonder if that wouldn't ultimately be the best thing because if you get covid and have to sit out 2 weeks of game play, as infectous as this is you could literally have the head coach and half the team be out. what then?

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
heck by the time they get around to playoffs it would be the normal start of the season, and we might actually start having vaccine's available. who knows.\

but I agree if you are doing playoffs in September and into October just call it already. I mean then what for the regular season how much break after the playoffs end? My selfish side however thinks a fully healthy (minus Simon) penguins team that plays like it did last December will beat any team in the league, so play on I guess.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Generally speaking. Moving forward, every game will be played under special circumstances.

I don't care... Every playoffs are played under special circumstances for sake of parity, the regular season, too.

It's all a farce for sake of parity. We tend to overlook it due to our own passion for the game to a certain degree. Someone will always take advantage of the current times rabbit hole. The Pens in 2016 & 2017 defied the rabbit hole and fell back into it.

I'll fully acknowledge this one (if they win) due to having others taken away because of past parity BS.

If a team is bad why parade them as equals?

Reactions: BHD

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Why? They’ve come out and said they see the Winter Classic being the start of next ssason?

So now they’re not going to start until January...all I heard previously was December? At some point it’s silly...I think they’re pushing back training camp because of the NBA’s newly announced schedule and the NHL doesn’t want to compete with the start of the NBA...it’s about money...that and Bettman is a wimp...they need to grow a pair...there’s absolutely no reason to push back training camp for any other reason

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So now they’re not going to start until January...all I heard previously was December? At some point it’s silly...I think they’re pushing back training camp because of the NBA’s newly announced schedule and the NHL doesn’t want to compete with the start of the NBA...it’s about money...that and Bettman is a wimp...they need to grow a pair...there’s absolutely no reason to push back training camp for any other reason

I think it is more about agreed contracts.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The NHL already needs to delay the start of next year due to bans on crowd sizes that will likely be in place for all of 2020. All of these sports leagues are gambling on a vaccine being out at the end of this year, which would allow the return to normal operation starting in 2021.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I don't care... Every playoffs are played under special circumstances for sake of parity, the regular season, too.

It's all a farce for sake of parity. We tend to overlook it due to our own passion for the game to a certain degree. Someone will always take advantage of the current times rabbit hole. The Pens in 2016 & 2017 defied the rabbit hole and fell back into it.

I'll fully acknowledge this one (if they win) due to having others taken away because of past parity BS.

If a team is bad why parade them as equals?

In all honesty, the title wasn’t meant to be serious. I simply couldn’t think of one before posting it. Although, it’s a pretty loaded statement.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad