Around the NHL Summer 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
You're looking at the wrong goalie, Bench. Take this guy at 22.
tumblr_lixzpqiiyZ1qzwj9io1_400.gif

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
GERASIMYUK,

I can't stand McGuire either.
But this is just f***ing bullshit.
Deadspin panders to reddit. That's it.
They watch the big subs, try to guess what will get upvotes, and they write it.
Deadspin used to be a great site. They've really turned into garbage.

Reactions: MBH

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
They're likely trading Fleury, my guess is he goes back to Pitt for a last hurrah/kick at the can. That's $7 + $1.6. We can facilitate the other ~$1.4 for a late 3rd?
If Fleury goes and Vegas throws in someone like Reaves, it might work. But Vegas will need a quality backup for Lehner, so there will still have to be some salary management on Vegas' part to make their roster work for next year.

Fleury being traded definitely helps Vegas get closer, but I think it's not quite there. I think Vegas needs to make one more move to shed some salary before doing it.

Getting closer, though.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
If Fleury goes and Vegas throws in someone like Reaves, it might work. But Vegas will need a quality backup for Lehner, so there will still have to be some salary management on Vegas' part to make their roster work for next year.

Fleury being traded definitely helps Vegas get closer, but I think it's not quite there. I think Vegas needs to make one more move to shed some salary before doing it.

Getting closer, though
<Yzerman perched atop an Eagle's nest high up in the mountains, like a gargoyle (or my cat) waiting to pounce.> Ensuing carnage...

...welcome to DET Mr. Smith. I think he may be the sacrificial lamb, pending '22 UFA, despite his chemistry w/Karl & March.

SY gets a 2nd+3rd/b-level prospect @TDL for him. Lets Ray/Berg. marinate in GR for 1/2 season.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
GERASIMYUK,

I can't stand McGuire either.
But this is just f***ing bullshit.
Deadspin panders to reddit. That's it.
They watch the big subs, try to guess what will get upvotes, and they write it.

Deadspin was awesome. And then they got bought out by a corporate takeover artist and everything that made them good got laid off. Deadspin now shares nothing with Deadspin of yore but the name.

Pandering to reddit is actually a step up from where they were after Great Hill bought them out. This is a company that previously had great editors and motivated staff. Then, the new owners changed things and they all just resigned. That's why Deadspin sucks.

Deadspin is just another entity buried by Hulk Hogan.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I would actually say the Kraken should have better odds than the Wings, haha.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I would actually say the Kraken should have better odds than the Wings, haha.

I took a bit of heat when I said Vegas will be better than the Wings out of the gate.

And I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again. Although Detroit is actually going to start trending up so hopefully any advantage is short lived.

But it's just the reality of the Wings needing to build from scratch and the expansion teams getting to pluck NHL talent throughout the lineup. They won't be as fortunate as the Knights, but they'll get some real gems.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Surely we'll be better than the Kraken?
View attachment 452296

Waaayyy Too Early for Odds...they should've waited til after ED & Draft. Pfffftttt, Avs.
View attachment 452297

What jumps out here, is we are in the best division in hockey. I think Montreal's odds are too high, but yeah if Ottawa improves a little we are going to be getting kicked around with Buffalo still next year.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Athletic has a story with an interview with Kivlenieks' mom.
I can't help but wonder... who is this story for?
Is it for her?
Is it for Blue Jackets fans?
Is it to honor Kivlenieks' memory?
At what point does this just become exploitation?

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Surely we'll be better than the Kraken?
View attachment 452296

Waaayyy Too Early for Odds...they should've waited til after ED & Draft. Pfffftttt, Avs.
View attachment 452297
This is just pure silliness to me, because you know they are going to revise at least 4 more times in the next 3 months. 1) after Expansion Draft 2) After Entry Draft (assuming trades will be flying around) 3) After first day of Free agency is over and 4) Pre-Training Camp.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
This is just pure silliness to me, because you know they are going to revise at least 4 more times in the next 3 months. 1) after Expansion Draft 2) After Entry Draft (assuming trades will be flying around) 3) After first day of Free agency is over and 4) Pre-Training Camp.
Vegas bookies trying to lure all the COL slappies into early bets, dangling carrots (ego strokes, not great odds).

Last edited:

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Vegas bookies trying to lure all the COL slappies into early bets, dangling carrots (ego strokes, not great odds).

I would lump Mtl and Toronto into that category as well. Toronto isn't winning squat with that blueline and goalie situation. Not to mention they fall in line with Michigan and Notre Dame football fans...delusional chumps who are ripe for fleecing.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I took a bit of heat when I said Vegas will be better than the Wings out of the gate.

And I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again. Although Detroit is actually going to start trending up so hopefully any advantage is short lived.

But it's just the reality of the Wings needing to build from scratch and the expansion teams getting to pluck NHL talent throughout the lineup. They won't be as fortunate as the Knights, but they'll get some real gems.

I'm on the fence regarding Seattle. They could be a playoff team to start or they could be on the outside looking in.

The players available to Seattle appear to be as good or maybe slightly worse than the 2017 expansion draft. I don't see a goalie as good as Fleury going to Vegas, nor do I expect the forwards going there to be as good but there will be 4 defensemen going to Seattle that are better than any Detroit defenseman not named Mo Seider. (Particularly from Colorado, Tampa, Carolina)

The coaching staff of the team is a big wildcard. Hakstol mostly coached NCAA and had mixed results in Philadelphia in 3 and a half seasons. Also how good will Paul McFarland and Jay Leach be?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I'm on the fence regarding Seattle. They could be a playoff team to start or they could be on the outside looking in.

The players available to Seattle appear to be as good or maybe slightly worse than the 2017 expansion draft. I don't see a goalie as good as Fleury going to Vegas, nor do I expect the forwards going there to be as good but there will be 4 defensemen going to Seattle that are better than any Detroit defenseman not named Mo Seider. (Particularly from Colorado, Tampa, Carolina)

The coaching staff of the team is a big wildcard. Hakstol mostly coached NCAA and had mixed results in Philadelphia in 3 and a half seasons. Also how good will Paul McFarland and Jay Leach be?
If CAR doesn't re-sign Dougie, & protects Slavin-Pesce-Skjei...Bean is better than Hronek?

Graves better than Hronek?

Cernak, probably ~equal to Hronek?

If I'm JBB I'm offering Francis a 1st+ or prospect+2nd+ to take McDonough & TJ.
McD=Good leader, solidD/PK etc. Make him Captain Kraken. He has 2 good years left 32-34), 1 mediocre yr (35) & likely 2 yrs it could go south quickly (36 & 37)...He's not Chelios.

Kraken's willingness to spend from Day1 may give them a small boost, but they're likely looking at 3rd/4th liners + a few older/capdump/cap-squeezed tweeners that'll fill their L2 (Eric Haula caliber +/-) They might land a decent FA or 2, (anybody's guess here), but none of that is really building for longevity, or a cup window of any sort. The lack of elite/core pieces will be evident. GM's won't repeat the VGK fiasco. Just selling tickets, merchandise, branding rn. Any actual hockey wins are a +.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Vegas caught so many breaks, no way does that happen again. GMs should have learned from that too.

Reactions: gbdet

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Vegas caught so many breaks, no way does that happen again. GMs should have learned from that too.

I guess I should clarify that the Kraken could be as good or better than the Wings but I doubt they reach Vegas levels.

Like I said, and you said, they won't be as fortunate.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
If CAR doesn't re-sign Dougie, & protects Slavin-Pesce-Skjei...Bean is better than Hronek?

Graves better than Hronek?

Cernak, probably ~equal to Hronek?

Graves is better than Hronek. So is Cernak. I don't think Bean is currently better than Hronek but he was also a rookie playing behind one of the best top 4 defense groups I can remember in a long, long time. Bean has a lot of potential and I could imagine him taking off like Shea Theodore if put in a top 4 role.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Graves is better than Hronek. So is Cernak. I don't think Bean is currently better than Hronek but he was also a rookie playing behind one of the best top 4 defense groups I can remember in a long, long time. Bean has a lot of potential and I could imagine him taking off like Shea Theodore if put in a top 4 role.
edited, scroll up plz

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish

I agree. When Vegas got their players, I thought, "MAF and Reilly Smith are pretty good gets for an expansion team". Marschesault was trending up, but I don't think anyone thought he would be the player he became...etc. That was lightning in a bottle and I'd be shocked to see the Kracken even flirt with a playoff spot.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I agree. When Vegas got their players, I thought, "MAF and Reilly Smith are pretty good gets for an expansion team". Marschesault was trending up, but I don't think anyone thought he would be the player he became...etc. That was lightning in a bottle and I'd be shocked to see the Kracken even flirt with a playoff spot.
True, except for Marchessault, who had already scored 30G (51pts) /75gp for FLA the prior season. Making his inclusion to VGK a real head scratcher. JM hasn't scored more than 27 since leaving FL.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
True, except for Marchessault, who had already scored 30G (51pts) /75gp for FLA the prior season. Making his inclusion to VGK a real head scratcher. JM hasn't scored more than 27 since leaving FL.

Aye. Hence I said Marchessault was trending up in my post. He'd not done much previously.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad