OT: Around the NHL - Stanley Cup Playoffs 2nd Round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
No way. The NHL rigged it up HARD so that VGK would be doing what they are. Made teams expose very useful players.

They might be overachieving, but there's at least 12 players I would take all day any day on my team.

I can't say that about other expansion rosters where they had pure plugs for a few years.
a few teams really blew it though. Primary example obviously being Columbus.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
a few teams really blew it though. Primary example obviously being Columbus.

Teams that made iffy decisions:
-Florida with Smith and Marchessault
-Columbus with W. Karlsson
-Wild giving them Haula and Tuch to save Dumba

The others at least made some sense in terms of them having to give up those players due to too many NTCs already on their club.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

The others at least made some sense in terms of them having to give up those players due to too many NTCs already on their club.

Dumba had a very good season this year. Made sense.

Columbus was getting rid of Clarkson and protecting Anderson and their D. Made sense.

Florida gave Vegas their top line. For no reason.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Columbus was getting rid of Clarkson and protecting Anderson and their D. Made sense.

I think Florida wanted to get rid of Smith’s contract and didn’t want to pay Marchessault next season. They look like morons but there was financial pressure.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Few teams made some bad moves but if you remember , heading into the ED just about every fanbase was worried about losing someone. Speaks to the amount of talent these days compared to when the last expansion teams came in.

So not only did Vegas have more slots, they had more talent to choose from.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
No way. The NHL rigged it up HARD so that VGK would be doing what they are. Made teams expose very useful players.

They might be overachieving, but there's at least 12 players I would take all day any day on my team.

I can't say that about other expansion rosters where they had pure plugs for a few years.

Eh. I wouldn't call it rigging.

Rigging would be telling each team that they had to send a specific player to VGK.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

don't forget the 1st rounders

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
It's like Vegas has 4 Line2s. So 3 of 4 shifts they're matching or beating you. Super solid in the middle lineup. Less exposed to injuries to a star, because there aren't any real stars.
And these guys have all bought in and obviously believe in each other. Amazing to see.
If they clean up SJ in 5-6 and Nash-Peg beat each other up, they could easily make the Finals. Crazy stuff.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
And re SJ, does Paul Martin get another shift? Good God that was awful on the GWG. Poor Burns.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It's like Vegas has 4 Line2s. So 3 of 4 shifts they're matching or beating you. Super solid in the middle lineup. Less exposed to injuries to a star, because there aren't any real stars.
And these guys have all bought in and obviously believe in each other. Amazing to see.
If they clean up SJ in 5-6 and Nash-Peg beat each other up, they could easily make the Finals. Crazy stuff.

Assuming Fleury keeps playing well, I think they absolutely make the SCF and I had Nash in my bracket..

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

If we broke it down to make it looks like trades (ie. which players you'd rather have), I'd still say those teams made the wrong moves.

I wouldn't trade Tuch and Haula for Dumba. I wouldn't trade W. Karlsson for Anderson or one of their fringe D not named Werenski or Jones (neither were in jeopardy of being left unprotected regardless).

It would be similar to the Pens letting Vegas have Guentzel and Rust just so they don't take Maatta.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I understand why GMs made those trades. However, they knew what they had in those players. The only exception is Karlsson.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
It sucks to miss the Preds Jets game because of the games being on the same time as the Pens game.

Why not start the Pens game at 7 and start the Jets game at 930 like they are on Thur and Saturday?

It seems really stupid to have them on at the same times, but it is a stupid league.

Reactions: td_ice

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Sucks that other games around the league are great and then there’s the farce of hockey we have to watch.

Reactions: BladeRunner66

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Sucks that other games around the league are great and then there’s the farce of hockey we have to watch.
Agreed! George Parros*, who used to be a goon, must really like Wilson's game though.

* In September 2017, he was promoted to Head of the Department of Player Safety...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad