OT: Around the NHL: RIP Gordie Howe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I wonder if Quebec fans would have been able to swallow the news about the Vegas expansion if they didn't spend the last 5 years falling for bad sources and troll bait in regards to their city being next in line for a team.

Contender

Sep 22, 2014
Obviously the Caps are poop and I will hate them forever, but props to them for this. If the Pens did one I'd order it immediately:

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=113269

Major props for them doing this. Holtby was at the DC Pride parade I believe too. As a member of the LGBTQ community, I would love for the Penguins to do something like this. It would be an instant buy for me.

I know Andrew Ference has been very actively as an ally the last few years.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
The Masterton is the stupidest, most bizarre trophy in all sports. Nobody seems to know what it's for. I certainly don't.

Jagr won for being old. Dubnyk won for not being a joke for half a season for the first time in his career. Other years it goes to whoever had the most serious illness/injury. Ian Laperriere won once without playing a single game.

Voters just make it up as they go.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
The Masterton is the stupidest, most bizarre trophy in all sports. Nobody seems to know what it's for. I certainly don't.

Jagr won for being old. Dubnyk won for not being a joke for half a season for the first time in his career. Other years it goes to whoever had the most serious illness/injury. Ian Laperriere won once without playing a single game.

Voters just make it up as they go.

Ken Daneyko won a Masterton for swearing off of booze. Shortly afterwards, he got like his 10th DUI.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
That makes me think every sport should have one vaguely purposed, completely arbitrary award. The NFL could really have some fun with it with so many head cases and felons.
The First Annual Ray Lewis Award goes to....Aqib Talib for not shooting anyone this year!

Other nominees were Greg Hardy, for only calling a woman who turned him down for a date a "*****" instead of beating her to a pulp, and Bill Belichick for making it through the preseason without cheating.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
It's high but he makes them a better team so I guess they're prioritizing that and figure they'll worry about the rest later. That market could use a long playoff run.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
And Trotz gets an Adams for winning the regular season on a stacked team.

LMAO the writers are outdoing themselves this year.

That's when they vote though, isn't it? I thought Jack Adams votes were taken after the season but before playoffs.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
Remember all the folks complaining about Letang's contract on this board? Wonder what they think now!!!

I was fairly critical of it because of his inability to stay healthy and a tendency to go into dangerous areas. Never doubted his talent though. For all his faults (mainly emotional it seems) the guy is one of the smoothest skaters I've seen and his off season attitude is a perfect example for young players. Feels good to be wrong sometimes :handclap:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah that Yandle contract is nuts. It's not even the dollars, although those are higher than I'd pay for him, but that term is crazy.

Edit: I spent more time thinking about it, and I get why Florida did it. Nuts was probably too strong, but the term is still crazy.

Last edited:

Atren

Jun 29, 2011
Europe
I think Yandle contract is decent at worst and quite good at best.

Also I think Jagr was best option to win this since I really really hate idea of trophy rewarding worst injury to player.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I've always thought Yandle was extremely overrated, though he is coming off a pretty great season.

Definitely makes the Letang contract look that much better.

New thread time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad