Around the NHL: PTO Season Becomes Waiver Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
What are they honestly going to get for those 2? .. I don't think enough
For Schief, I'd imagine a comp for the Horvat trade. Player, 1st, prospect.

For Hellebuyck in the goalie-dearth that is the current NHL? At least that.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
  • Haha
Reactions: sabremike

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Wow. Penguins have 7 players in the minors who are on 1-way contracts.

Buffalo has one. Stillman.

Reactions: Dingo44

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006

Assuming this is accurate, huge miss by the league. Banning players from making the personal choice to use rainbow tape for warmups is atrocious.

I really hope a group of players chooses to use it anyway as a middle finger to the league. Are they really going to issue fines for this? That would be horrible PR for the league.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Assuming this is accurate, huge miss by the league. Banning players from making the personal choice to use rainbow tape for warmups is atrocious.

I really hope a group of players chooses to use it anyway as a middle finger to the league. Are they really going to issue fines for this? That would be horrible PR for the league.
Going to guess this is a means of cooperating with the KHL/Russia to allow talent to come over, or at least work on getting the players to come over quicker.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Going to guess this is a means of cooperating with the KHL/Russia to allow talent to come over, or at least work on getting the players to come over quicker.
There were 7 players in the entire league that refused to wear a Pride jersey in warmups last season.

Rather than focusing on the other 600ish players, the league is shooting themselves in the foot for the vast minority of players.

But, shooting themselves in the foot is what they like to do...

The not allowing players to use whatever tape they want in games, warmups, or practice is really weird to me.

One thing that I have wanted someone to come with is Pride skate laces. I wonder what they would do if a player wore that in a game?

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
There were 7 players in the entire league that refused to wear a Pride jersey in warmups last season.

Rather than focusing on the other 600ish players, the league is shooting themselves in the foot for the vast minority of players.

The not allowing players to use whatever tape they want in games, warmups, or practice is really weird to me.

One thing that I have wanted someone to come with is Pride skate laces. I wonder what they would do if a player wore that in a game?
But when those few players decide to go their own way, the media turns it into a shit storm that the NHL doesn't want to deal with. If the media would just focus on the positive it wouldn't be a problem.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
But when those few players decide to go their own way, the media turns it into a shit storm that the NHL doesn't want to deal with. If the media would just focus on the positive it wouldn't be a problem.
I still think it’s weird that the league is dictating that individual players can’t decide what they want to do.

It feels like a step beyond the no special warmup jerseys thing, because that was borderline compulsory. I disagree with them getting rid of the special warmup jerseys, but at least that one made a little bit of sense if they wanted to avoid the associated media circus.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I still think it’s weird that the league is dictating that individual players can’t decide what they want to do.

It feels like a step beyond the no special warmup jerseys thing, because that was borderline compulsory. I disagree with them getting rid of the special warmup jerseys, but at least that one made a little bit of sense if they wanted to avoid the associated media circus.
But the media then focused on things other than the jerseys in order to get attention, which becomes a distraction.

I agree that players should be allowed to wear or not wear those jerseys. Use or not use tape. Unfortunately the associated media circus doesn't work that way.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

I think they just want to take the anti-Bud Light approach, and just stay out of politically or culturally sensitive topics. It's not a bad idea. You can't hit the right tone that makes everybody happy, and the few that get grumpy ruin things for the rest. That's how things are these days, so if I had to make big decisions like Bettman, I might throw my hands up too and say forget it.

Reactions: Gras

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009

A lot of employers pull this kind of crap weither it's political donations, volunteering, special events, etc. The thing is, I rarely disagree with the subject but I hate the leverage it puts over the employee.

It'll be interesting to see how the NHL manages special events this year. They can't limit this only to LGTBQ nights. If they go forward with a breast cancer awareness special jersey, that's practically saying LGTBQ is the problem...in their eyes anyway.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
This is still shooting yourself in the foot if that is the issue you are trying to solve.

I think the answer is just to continue all the specialty warmups jersey stuff and letting players voluntarily wear what they want to wear. Or just get rid of the warmup jerseys and let players use whatever tape they want to use.

But the media then focused on things other than the jerseys in order to get attention, which becomes a distraction.

I agree that players should be allowed to wear or not wear those jerseys. Use or not use tape. Unfortunately the associated media circus doesn't work that way.
The media circus will never go away because you will see some players wearing the specialty hats before and after games and others won't and there will still be media questions and drama. They will never be able to legislate it away in the social media world that we live in.

A lot of employers pull this kind of crap weither it's political donations, volunteering, special events, etc. The thing is, I rarely disagree with the subject but I hate the leverage it puts over the employee.

It'll be interesting to see how the NHL manages special events this year. They can't limit this only to LGTBQ nights. If they go forward with a breast cancer awareness special jersey, that's practically saying LGTBQ is the problem...in their eyes anyway.
They got rid of players wearing any of the specialty jerseys, including Hockey Fights Cancer, Military Appreciation Night, Pride Night, and all the other ones.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think they just want to take the anti-Bud Light approach, and just stay out of politically or culturally sensitive topics. It's not a bad idea. You can't hit the right tone that makes everybody happy, and the few that get grumpy ruin things for the rest. That's how things are these days, so if I had to make big decisions like Bettman, I might throw my hands up too and say forget it.
The problem is going to be that they will get backlash from a different demographic with the approach they are taking. Plus, by getting rid of things like Military Night jerseys, they might still be ticking off the anti-Bud Light people out there...

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
This is still shooting yourself in the foot if that is the issue you are trying to solve.

I think the answer is just to continue all the specialty warmups jersey stuff and letting players voluntarily wear what they want to wear. Or just get rid of the warmup jerseys and let players use whatever tape they want to use.

The media circus will never go away because you will see some players wearing the specialty hats before and after games and others won't and there will still be media questions and drama. They will never be able to legislate it away in the social media world that we live in.

They got rid of players wearing any of the specialty jerseys, including Hockey Fights Cancer, Military Appreciation Night, Pride Night, and all the other ones.
So should the NHL subject certain players to have to put up with the media trying to outcast them?

The problem is going to be that they will get backlash from a different demographic with the approach they are taking. Plus, by getting rid of things like Military Night jerseys, they might still be ticking off the anti-Bud Light people out there...
Yeah, and that's fine too. If everybody can't play in the sand box nicely together, one of the options is to just take away the sand box, the sand, and all the toys.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
So should the NHL subject certain players to have to put up with the media trying to outcast them?

I don’t think totally optional and up to the individual things like rainbow colored tape would outcast anybody. I can see how things like special warm up jerseys could.

If anything this will bring more media attention if a player decides to defy the memo, which I could see happening.

To me this would be like an employer telling you to take a pride themed knickknack off your desk because it is too “political”. I think that would be unreasonable.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I don’t think totally optional and up to the individual things like rainbow colored tape would outcast anybody. I can see how things like special warm up jerseys could.

If anything this will bring more media attention if a player decides to defy the memo, which I could see happening.
I agree that stick tape is a less magnifying aspect. I just don't blame the NHL for throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Reactions: DapperCam

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022

The league is a business. In general. businesses should stay out of any potentially controversial issue, and this is in fact controversial to some. Players are employees just as any other business. They tried to allow some freedoms but the media and Russia were an issue. Don't just go assuming the NHL hates an entire community now.
They are getting rid of Military nights? I always found that overblown. They sent a 6 pack to an influencer, it's not like you have to drink beer with their face on it.....people just need something to be upset about.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Oh I agree with you, and I'm disappointed in the league in doing this. But I'm trying to find a reason of why the league would take this stance, and if there were any business-reasoning of why they would make this decision. I couldn't find any business reasons besides who they have business partners/dealings with, and the KHL having some NHL prospects, and with Russia not being "pride-friendly" was the only thing I can think of or find.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Oh I agree with you, and I'm disappointed in the league in doing this. But I'm trying to find a reason of why the league would take this stance, and if there were any business-reasoning of why they would make this decision. I couldn't find any business reasons besides who they have business partners/dealings with, and the KHL having some NHL prospects, and with Russia not being "pride-friendly" was the only thing I can think of or find.
I think it is as simple as trying to avoid any sort of controversy and not something like sucking up to Putin.

But, by taking this path, they will get different kinds of controversy...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
They are getting rid of Military nights? I always found that overblown. They sent a 6 pack to an influencer, it's not like you have to drink beer with their face on it.....people just need something to be upset about.
They are not getting rid of any nights, including Pride Nights. They are just saying that players cannot do anything associated with the various nights on the ice, either in warmups, during games, or even at practice. And team will not be allowed to wear any specialty jerseys in warmups.

You will still see specialty jerseys getting auctioned off in many cases. They just won't be "warmup worn" jerseys like they have been previously.

And you will likely see players and coaches wearing the various specialty hats before and after games, etc.

One thing that will be really interesting to watch is what they do with coaches. Like, will they fine Don Granato for wearing a Hockey Fights Cancer tie?

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
The social landscape of the US is a lot different than the rest of the world.
They are not getting rid of any nights, including Pride Nights. They are just saying that players cannot do anything associated with the various nights on the ice, either in warmups, during games, or even at practice. And team will not be allowed to wear any specialty jerseys in warmups.

You will still see specialty jerseys getting auctioned off in many cases. They just won't be "warmup worn" jerseys like they have been previously.

And you will likely see players and coaches wearing the various specialty hats before and after games, etc.

One thing that will be really interesting to watch is what they do with coaches. Like, will they fine Don Granato for wearing a Hockey Fights Cancer tie?
I imagine there is a 0.0% chance anything related to fighting cancer is included.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I imagine there is a 0.0% chance anything related to fighting cancer is included.
The NHL said that any of the specialty night stuff were under the same restrictions.

:dunno:

There was even a question about whether players could hold "I Fight For" placards on Hockey Fights Cancer Night. The league source said the NHL was facing questions about whether coaches could wear poppies on their suit jackets in honor of Remembrance Day or if they could wear green ribbons in honor of the Humboldt Broncos bus crash.

The intended purpose of the initial memo, according to the league source, was to inform teams that they cannot wear any specialty sweaters during a game, in warmups or at an official practice. The source said the only off-ice restriction facing teams is that they can't force players to participate in events regarding the specialty causes, because some players might fear retribution or embarrassment if they decide to not take part.
It looks like coaches might be able to wear ties and pins and stuff. But per usual, this is clear as mud. Especially if this was supposed to be about jerseys but has expanded into a Pride Tape ban.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad