Series Talk: Around the NHL - Playoff edition as Round #1 kicks off

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Eichel and McDavid signed for 8 years, while Dubas completely reset the market with the 5 year deal to Matthews...I have no problems with Matthews' AAV at $11.634, but that 5 year term is ugly, especially with Dubas conceding on everything...huge upfront signing bonuses, lockout protection...everything that benefits the player...Matthews didn't move an inch and Dubas was glad to pay up...in 4 years, Matthews will want $14 to $15 million dollars, while Eichel and McDavid will still be under their current contracts...so if the cap goes up by $5 million dollars in 4 years, Matthews will get most of it...and then Marner will want or get the cap increase a year later when his contract is up...how does that even help build a team? It's a tight squeeze that leaves little room for error, and these players would have to play out of their minds for this team to be successful.

Yes, Nylander was overpaid at the time, but I thought that after Matthews signed and then Marner signed, that Nylander's contract might end up being a good deal, only because the other two contracts are so expensive. Marner's contract is even uglier...especially when you compare it to players like Kucherov, Point, Rantanen and Aho, and what they got, and how it's helping their teams manage the cap situation. Tampa will be a powerhouse for years...they have a great long-term deal with 40 goal scorer Kucherov...and Point has no issues helping out the team with that great 3 years x $6.75 million bridge deal...he's dismantling the Bruins this series...similarly, you had numbers like 3 years x $9 million floating around as to what Marner wanted on a bridge deal...that's just ridiculous...it's no wonder this Leafs didn't make the playoffs this year...too many "me first" core players on this team.
You literally just said Matthews is overpaid. Why are you changing now?

Also Matthews and Nylander got fair value and performed to expectations. They didn't complain or anything.
The only me first attitude came from Marner.

Reactions: saffronleaf and kb

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
You literally just said Matthews is overpaid. Why are you changing now?

Also Matthews and Nylander got fair value and performed to expectations. They didn't complain or anything.
The only me first attitude came from Marner.

I've never changed my tune...I felt he was overpaid when his contract was announced. He is overpaid for the term and for the various concessions given to him by Dubas...term is as important as AAV...for 5 years, his AAV should be lower...if he walks in 4 years, it would be disastrous, but then the Leafs would probably have to pay $14 million plus to keep him if he decides to stay, which ain't so great for the salary cap. His contract was problematic as soon as it was signed.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Krug averages 10 more hits per season than Barrie... it really isn't that much of a difference. 1 every 8 games.
If you watch the games, it might leave a different impression e.g., today's game, this playoffs, etc. That what I was using to make my observation. Not a huge difference though i.e., "a little more physical". I would take Krug over Barrie personally.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Halak has let the Bruins down in their series against Tampa Bay. It should be tied at the very least.

As we know all too well, soft goals will kill you in the playoffs

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Halak has let the Bruins down in their series against Tampa Bay. It should be tied at the very least.

As we know all too well, soft goals will kill you in the playoffs
Bruins are taking some bad penalties also, and the Bolts have a very good PP.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Uncle LEO!!!!! 2 goals from the isles in this period 2 ex leafs!
Ya, Pageau and ex-Leafs are having a good playoffs. Brassard gets the nod and is looking pretty good. Big goal to go ahead in the final seconds of the 2nd period.

Islanders bend but don't break.

Scruffers

Aug 18, 2020
Canada
Playing against the Islanders when they have a lead must be the most frustrating thing in existence.

Multigoal deficit against a trap team that doesn't allow any sustained pressure, keeps all the opposition's shots to the outside, and has a reputation for locking down the game in the third period by eating up the clock and grinding you down? Good luck.

Wish the Leafs had even a fraction of the confidence that the Islanders have in their ability to protect leads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad