Around The NHL Part XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Sheesh. Could be misreporting the actual phrasing but that doesn't paint a good picture of things. "Go ahead and try the market" sounds an awful lot like Pietrangelo is expecting a big contract.

That’s 100% it imo and he should...he’s 30 this is his big contract. Pre-covid he’d probably be looking at a trouba type deal to start maybe more if there was a bidding war...who knows now with the flat cap

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Sheesh. Could be misreporting the actual phrasing but that doesn't paint a good picture of things. "Go ahead and try the market" sounds an awful lot like Pietrangelo is expecting a big contract.

Sounds like what Brian Cashman told Derek Jeter before he signed he signed his last contract before retirement. It was somewhat ugly.

Reactions: Trxjw

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I wanted Tampa to win big time but the one downside is listening to Rangers fans make fun of a team that snored their way through two rounds while getting severely outshot.

It's like Chara walking up to Brian Boyle and being like "you idiot, you're too tall haha!"

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
That’s 100% it imo and he should...he’s 30 this is his big contract. Pre-covid he’d probably be looking at a trouba type deal to start maybe more if there was a bidding war...who knows now with the flat cap

Between that and the rumor that St Louis asked him to sign the contract without knowing the full terms might mean Pietrangelo is 100% gone at this point.

Reactions: Leetch3

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Blessing in disguise for the Blues.

Name the defenseman in the NHL that have come anywhere near living up to 30+ contracts.

Chara and Giordano? That's it.

Lidstrom was signed pre-cap so I wouldn't count that one. Also he's Lidstrom.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
That offer seems to me like the Blues aren’t really interested in keeping him

Which is what I’ve been saying, they knew he was a rental. They gave Faulk that money for a reason

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Wtf does that even mean? Heres the AAV and term, depending on how Covid goes we will pay you at some point?

The only thing I can imagine is that they wanted to get agreement on the AAV now, so they can decide whether to continue negotiating or let him go. If 7.7 AAV wasn't going to be enough to get it done, then the rest of the details don't matter much.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The only thing I can imagine is that they wanted to get agreement on the AAV now, so they can decide whether to continue negotiating or let him go. If 7.7 AAV wasn't going to be enough to get it done, then the rest of the details don't matter much.

but the rest of the details such as signing bonuses, front loaded/back loaded, NMC/NTC clauses matter to the player so yes the blues might say no if he's asking for a higher AAV but you aren't even giving him the option to accept it without the other details...

but it seems like either he is asking for alot or they weren't really serious of bringing him back

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That offer seems to me like the Blues aren’t really interested in keeping him

Which is what I’ve been saying, they knew he was a rental. They gave Faulk that money for a reason
Yeah, I could definitely see this.

Maybe GM's are finally wising up on these contracts for players 30 and up.

And if anyone, the Blues are the team that can cut salary on defense. Like we all knew the Toews contract would suck, but what do you do? Cut your Hall-of-Fame 1C and (at the time) only good center?

The Blues, though, have Parayko, Faulk, Scandella, and Dunn. They'll be fine. Meanwhile, their forward corps needs work. It's filled with grinders and putting pucks in the net is still the highest financial premium in the game.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Also love how people are so confident that we “lost” the McDonagh trade when 3/4 of the pieces haven’t even finished developing.

if Nils becomes a top-4D, Hajek becomes an Nhler, and Howden turns into a solid bottom-6 C, it’s a pretty good trade
Yep. And also, I think we often forget, that it worked out BRILLIANTLY for McD too. Got his contract and got to play on some great teams. And now he’s back in the Finals. He should really be quite happy too.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Ah. I didn’t get it either built this makes sense. ‘We’ll go up to 7.7 but the rest we can negotiate’. And I guess AP wants more. So the rest is moot.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
St. Louis pizza is awful

I want to try it already just to say I've had it. Same with Detroit style pizza. St. Louis was on a short list of cities to visit and see an NHL game in (I have friends in that neck of the woods) pre-Covid.

I'm in Austin, Texas last year immediately after attending the Rangers home opener for a bachelor party and after pigging out at a steakhouse and bar crawling (which is never the best idea in that order lol) my friends stop and find a Detroit style pizza truck...and I'm too stuffed to even look at it. Was so pissed.

@aufheben I'm intrigued by Ottawa going back to their old logo. Curious if it's just the current jerseys with that logo or something else.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
St. Louis pizza is awful
I feel like this is a generalization. Again, I haven’t tried it, and I’d agree with “Chicago pizza is not pizza” for example. But from what I understand, St Louis style sounds quite straightforward and a format that a good cook could do good things with.
We’re talking about flat-bread basically, right? I mean, you could say that’s not pizza either. But certainly a good cook could do good things within that range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad