Around The NHL Part XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I am not so sure JT Miller would not have turned the corner with a different coach than AV. I never quite understood why the Rangers decided to include Miller in the trade and then replace AV. Seems like it would have been a better idea to change coaching then see what he did.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I am not so sure JT Miller would not have turned the corner with a different coach than AV. I never quite understood why the Rangers decided to include Miller in the trade and then replace AV. Seems like it would have been a better idea to change coaching then see what he did.

I kind of feel like his 2018-2019 with us would've gone much like it did in Tampa, before he was eventually traded anyway.

If anything, I'd be more curious if a trade from the Rangers a year later would've served as the wake-up call, or would it indeed still have required a second trade.

I tend to envision him not getting along with Quinn, feeling like at age 26 he was too old for this shit, getting moved at the 2019 deadline, and quite possibly getting moved this off-season as his "wake-up call."

I mean we'll never know for sure. But put me down as a vote in the "delaying the inevitable" camp.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Meh, Reunanen will be a top4 LD by mid-season :)

tenor.gif

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Their forwards aren't very good tbh. Nelson, Pageau and Lee have all played their best hockey already. None of those guys are going to get any better, Lee in particular is going to have a very ugly decline.

Barzal has his obvious strengths, but no team is going to win anything with him as their go to offensive player, at least not with the supporting cast that he has.

Personally, the actual players that encompass their defense aren't anything great either. Pelech-Pulock is a good match up pairing, but they're really a 2nd pair in ideal situations. Toews is nothing special, Mayfield sucks and has never taken a shift with out committing obstruction and then you have some old heads like Boychuk, Leddy, Hickey, etc. The system helps them be effective, but Trotz doesn't need an all world defense, his group in Washington wasn't great either but that team didn't win on the strength of their defense.

Dobson is a really, really good prospect, but he also may be the only chip they have to land a good scoring forward. It's gonna be really tough for them to make substantial moves this offseason with their cap and lack of assets and Lou is really the last guy I'd want running my team if I were in the position the Isles are in.

They look destined for dreaded middle-dom more so than they do for perennial contention.

I'm not a huge fan of trying to judge other teams since I'm not as familiar but currently looking at the Isles yeah it feels like they really need a bit of a rebuild or retool to stock things. They need someone like Wahlstrom to pan out at least as a good goal scorer top six player and Dobson to be a real legit top guy, but they also need more than that. Just not quite enough talent to take them from bubble to contender it feels like? Basically the same spot I was worried the Rangers were in until they won the lottery a couple of times and seem to have hit on players like Fox, DeAngelo, Zibanejad breaking out, etc

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
As far as I know, the Rangers never loaned him out. Honestly, a good sign of what they hope for him imo

@Amazing Kreiderman is this right?

Correct. There has not been a loan agreement for Reunanen. Which is interesting. The first thing that comes to mind as a reason to not loan him is that they expect him to make the team in December/January

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Correct. There has not been a loan agreement for Reunanen. Which is interesting. The first thing that comes to mind as a reason to not loan him is that they expect him to make the team in December/January

I dunno it never seemed like he was a real consideration last season so it would feel surprising if that was the case now? I get wanting to have him in the competition but certainly not having him as a lock to make the team.

Maybe they've had trouble finding a place for him to play for whatever reason

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Yes, Rykov was supposed to be competing with Staal and Smith for spots, but it's hard to do when you get sidelined for a long time with an injury before training camp.

So I guess he wasn't conditioned enough and ready to handle the big game minutes as much as you thought, right?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I dunno it never seemed like he was a real consideration last season so it would feel surprising if that was the case now? I get wanting to have him in the competition but certainly not having him as a lock to make the team.

Maybe they've had trouble finding a place for him to play for whatever reason

He was among the last cuts last year in pre-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad