Around The NHL Part XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I admit to not paying close attention to the rest of the league, but man I had no idea Russian goaltending in general was so strong at the moment. These two guys, Varlamov, Sorokin and of course the Czar. Crazy.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I admit to not paying close attention to the rest of the league, but man I had no idea Russian goaltending in general was so strong at the moment. These two guys, Varlamov, Sorokin and of course the Czar. Crazy.

You’ve got Samsonov taking over in Washington too.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
This game pretty much went how I thought. We've seen it before really great teams spend all their fuel getting past a very tough Conference Final opponent and have nothing left for the Finals. That's Tampa.

I could be very wrong but I see this as Stars in 5. This isn't going past 6 and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Hedman is the best DMan on the ice but after him there's a tremendous overall drop in Tampa's D Corp. The can either defend or play offense but not both. Dallas's D is a little more dynamic and versatile.

Kucherov and Point are nowhere near 100% and having to go up against the brutes of Dallas...not good for them.

Dallas brought in Perry and Paveslsky. Take note Mr. Gorton and bring in some vets like that.
That is a pretty accurate synopsis on this series . Tony D would have fit that TB team much better than Shattenkirk at both bluelines .

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Figure skaters don't win Cups.

Tampa added grit to their figure skating team from last season. Dallas didn’t face a Blues team with Tarasenko which beat them in 7 last year.

First Dallas goal was classic. Force the turnover with a crushing hit.

Last edited:
Reactions: MyLoveIsBlue

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Tampa can’t slog thru 1-1 games with Dallas. They aren’t the islanders they’ve got some offense they’ll beat Tampa quickly if this continues.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
On the Russian goalies this has been coming but it’s incredible

Vasilevskiy a beast

the trio of Shesterkin Sorokin Samsonov has been compared and talked about for years as breakthrough up and coming franchise goalies so this will be fun

but you’ve got khudobin bobrovsky varlamov Georgiev out there as well

and then probably the crown jewel of them all when it’s said and done Askarov coming

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Well of course not but comparatively, they have maybe one elite player on their entire roster. Yet they’re probably going to win the cup or get very close.

Seguin and Benn were elite. Pavelski was pretty close. Rads was borderline. Heiskanen is elite. Klingberg is a premier offensive D. Their elite guys have aged but still know how to play and their young guys are contributing big time, but they also have a solid roster top to bottom. There’s no Howden, McKegg, Smith, Staal or other weak links. Hanley is acquitting himself well as the #6. They actually built a really smart roster. Perry has been worth the contract in the playoffs because he’s a heavy physical player and generates chances even if the finish is gone. Sekera was once a damn good defenseman. Top to bottom they’re a really solid team that has a blend of physicality, two way play and offense from top to bottom. Even Cogliano and Comeau are really grade A 4th liners at the ends of their careers. They each have a half dozen 30+ point seasons under their belts and a couple of 40+. They’ve both had 20+ goal seasons in their careers. They have good wheels, kill penalties, play physical and still can chip in with the odd big goal or offensive play.

I completely follow your point about not having any current elite players on their roster (though I’d be surprised if Seguin isn’t back to 80 points next year when healthy). But they have a lot of veterans who know how to put pucks in the net and still have enough in the tank to bring a high level of play for 30 games of playoffs. Look where they were in game 7 against St. Louis last year. They play a very team game, consistent each shift really regardless of whose on the ice. Some times it’s Benn Seguin Radulov on the same line, sometimes it’s Benn Faksa Comeau followed by Pavs Gurianov Dickinson and Hintz Seguin Radulov. The whole team just rolls along. Not flashy and fast like a Lamborghini, but heavy and steady like an old locomotive.

Reactions: Kallio

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I see the Stars winning this whole thing but how weird is that?
The Stars??
Wtf lol

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Wonder what happened when Lavoie got cut from his SHL team? He couldn't have fallen that fast that he couldn't be used there could he? I've watched him for a few seasons now and while his skating isn't the best he still has high end skill and size.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I think Tampa should be praying that Stamkos can come back here. They just look out of gas offensively no one is scoring and point is clearly limited. They need some firepower or this is over

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
Oleksiak is basically the good version of Dylan McIlrath. It took him quite a few years to become a solid player.

Example #801 that development isn't linear.
Oleksiak is the guy Dallas took because the Rangers took McIlrath before they had a chance. I am sure the thank you card from Dallas management was sent years ago.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
I really can't wait to see how Lou is going to get out of the cap hell with the isles...he has only 9 mil of cap space to sign a whole bunch of UFA's and RFA's including Barzal. This is gonna be fun

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I really can't wait to see how Lou is going to get out of the cap hell with the isles...he has only 9 mil of cap space to sign a whole bunch of UFA's and RFA's including Barzal. This is gonna be fun

every time we say this the team finds another team to take a bad salary to get out of cap trouble...not sure how they will do it but i'm sure they will somehow

Reactions: egelband

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Never really expected Panarin to win. It's hard to get a good grasp on just how hard he carried this team most of the season unless you actually watched all the games he's played for us. It's easier to just look at the numbers and say more is gooderer. To us though, it's a no brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad