Around the NHL: Part XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
This is just a better hockey game. Amazing what happens when ice hockey is actually played on, ice.

Interested to see if the Panthers - Fishsticks is played in a wading pool like the Rangers - Hurricanes was.

I agree the ice helps, but both teams look sharper, more coordinated, more decisive, more settled down. We really looked frantic and none of our big names showed up. Aho and Svech and Slavin showed up for Carolina. McDavid, Kane, Toews are present early on.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I agree the ice helps, but both teams look sharper, more coordinated, more decisive, more settled down. We really looked frantic and none of our big names showed up. Aho and Svech and Slavin showed up for Carolina. McDavid, Kane, Toews are present early on.

Bad ice can do that. I saw a lot of Rangers and Canes really delay making a play and overthink trying to move the puck. Don't know how many times someone had a clear clearing opportunity only to have the ice slow down the outlet pass or clearing attempt.

I remember a play near the end of the second period where the Rangers clearly won the faceoff backward, the puck just stopped five feet behind the guy who won the draw. Canes take it down the ice, and someone overskated the puck with minimal pressure after carrying it through the neutral zone. Just saying I feel the ice conditions dictated the hesitation and sloppiness.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
On the positive side, we are one game closer to having a chance at Lafreniere or a higher draft pick. Plus Chicago is off to a good start to maybe dropping below us in the draft order.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Bad ice can do that. I saw a lot of Rangers and Canes really delay making a play and overthink trying to move the puck. Don't know how many times someone had a clear clearing opportunity only to have the ice slow down the outlet pass or clearing attempt.

I remember a play near the end of the second period where the Rangers clearly won the faceoff backward, the puck just stopped five feet behind the guy who won the draw. Canes take it down the ice, and someone overskated the puck with minimal pressure after carrying it through the neutral zone. Just saying I feel the ice conditions dictated the hesitation and sloppiness.

Only to an extent. Otherwise it would have effected both teams equally, but Carolina was clearly better. And their big names showed up. Don’t disagree with you, and saw the same things, but the ice isn’t an excuse for how unprepared some of our big names were when looking at how the big names on all of the other teams seem to be showing, right out of the gate.

Why are Svech, Aho, Teravainen, Slavin, McDavid, Toews, Kane all looking like their normal selves and Panarin, Kreider and Zibanejad looking hung over?

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Sounds like Edmonton needs to invest in a long term young goalie with high upside. 2X2nd picks for Georgiev. Flip the 2X2nd and Howden for Virtanen.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
On the positive side, we are one game closer to having a chance at Lafreniere or a higher draft pick. Plus Chicago is off to a good start to maybe dropping below us in the draft order.

It’s Lafreniere or 12/13 I think. We either win the lottery, which is 1/8 odds, or we pick where we finished.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Only to an extent. Otherwise it would have effected both teams equally, but Carolina was clearly better. And their big names showed up. Don’t disagree with you, and saw the same things, but the ice isn’t an excuse for how unprepared some of our big names were when looking at how the big names on all of the other teams seem to be showing, right out of the gate.

Why are Svech, Aho, Teravainen, Slavin, McDavid, Toews, Kane all looking like their normal selves and Panarin, Kreider and Zibanejad looking hung over?

I'm interested to see what the Panthers - Islanders look like. If that game is played slow and overly cautious, I'd say there's something to the conditions.

The Hawks - Oilers is nowhere near as close checking as the Ranger game was.

The Hurricanes took full advantage after that Skjei hit. Also feel the penalties kept the game disjointed.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I'm interested to see what the Panthers - Islanders look like. If that game is played slow and overly cautious, I'd say there's something to the conditions.

The Hawks - Oilers is nowhere near as close checking as the Ranger game was.

The Hurricanes took full advantage after that Skjei hit. Also feel the penalties kept the game disjointed.

I agree with this too, and I won’t be surprised if the Islanders game is much choppier, but if Barzal and Barkov and Huberdeau show up, even if the ice is choppy, that will also be concerning to me. Rust and a long layoff is only an excuse if it’s effecting at least half the guys playing. If our team is far more out of shape and rusty than anyone else, that will indicate a problem.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Yes, their top players had a better game, but I thought the Canes overall looked just as awful with the puck as the Rangers.

Reactions: NCRanger

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Yes, their top players had a better game, but I thought the Canes overall looked just as awful with the puck as the Rangers.

They did. Again, I’m talking less about ice conditions and more about, if we continue to see other teams top guys come out looking sharp, does that tell us anything about our guys or our preparation. I get that the bad ice impacted puck play for both sides. But our top guys were fairly invisible. On the flip side, even while getting blown out, McDavid and Draisaitl have both clearly been engaged and dangerous from the opening face off.

I’m not ready to turn it into some kind of big issue or throw our guys under the bus. It’s just something I’ll be observing as more series begin. If every other team has 75% of their top guys look sharp from the get go, I have to wonder why our top guys were so lackadaisical.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
wouldnt mind the islandes winning the QR. Takes them out of laffy

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Watched 2 min of Hawks Oilers and it doesn’t even look like the NYR were playing the same sport. Can’t get over how bad the NYR were at executing passes and puck carrying at ES and on the PP.
For real.

Both the Oilers and Hawks look like they've been resting for 4 months.

The Rangers looked like they have been playing nonstop since March.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad