Around the NHL: Part XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
It’s unbelievable how good the NHL is coming out of this looking.

MLB is a circus. The NBA rolled out a convoluted system that is gonna annoy people.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I'm glad there won't be brackets. That idea was enough to sway me towards it being an asterisk cup.

does that mean, hypothetically, NYR and NYI both advance. do we seed higher because of our ROW? trying to figure out how the seeding would work. been really out of the loop because I'm at work pulling long shifts most days

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

Now, if the Rangers win the Cup, the asterisk next to the 2019-20 season should read

Stanley Cup Champions 2019-2020*

* Most difficult Cup to win in history. Qualifying "play in" round and playing the most difficult opponent every round due to re-seeding in each round.

Be a hell of a Cup to win. #it'sjustafantasy

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
does that mean, hypothetically, NYR and NYI both advance. do we seed higher because of our ROW? trying to figure out how the seeding would work. been really out of the loop because I'm at work pulling long shifts most days

I couldn't tell you. I haven't been following the process much, either.

But whichever way they go with the re-seeding, it will be better than neutering the significance of the regular season even further, with brackets.

Reactions: FultonReed

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Why is it called "re-seeding" though? After the play in, everyone has a seed. After the first round, the lowest seed plays the highest seed, right? And then the same in the next round? So if the twelve seed wins, they then become the eight seed in the next round, and conceivably the four seed in a subsequent round? I guess I can see how you're giving each team a new "seed number" each round, but the worst seed going in will always be the worst seed as long as they're alive. Right? Or am I completely wrong?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Why is it called "re-seeding" though? After the play in, everyone has a seed. After the first round, the lowest seed plays the highest seed, right? And then the same in the next round? So if the twelve seed wins, they then become the eight seed in the next round, and conceivably the four seed in a subsequent round? I guess I can see how you're giving each team a new "seed number" each round, but the worst seed going in will always be the worst seed as long as they're alive. Right? Or am I completely wrong?

yeah the highest remaining seed in the conference would play the lowest remaining seed in the conference

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Your seed is your starting position. Teams keeping their seeds all the way through would mean that they’d be bracketed.

You’re not wrong. You get how it works. I guess a better way of putting it is that your seed is both where you start in the rankings and what matchup you play in the first round.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

The seeding for the bottom 4 teams are by order of the standings. The standings aren’t based on points and ROW anymore. They’re points percentage. The Rangers aren’t tied with the Islanders.

I was wondering what there was to figure out, but then realized you said the thing about being out of the loop. The NHL app has the standings by points percentage. Not sure if their regular site does as well, but it’s worth checking out.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
this has a really big “fan base talks shit for 2 months about how Carolina is scared of us and then we get swept over a long weekend” vibe doesn't it?
I said after the match up was announced, after like two days of the smack talk, that we were guaranteed to get swept. :laugh:

Reactions: Inferno
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->