Around the NHL (Part XV): Dupuis out 6 months (At least) with blood clot

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
It's Forbes franchise valuation time!

Fair warning, a lot of folks have serious misgivings about the voracity of their methodology to come to these figures (myself included), and my skepticism is especially evident by the fact that eleven teams are valued at over a half billion whereas just a few short years ago only the Leafs were (indicating, to me, either previous undervaluation or current overvaluation), but still an interesting read:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2014/11/25/the-most-valuable-teams-in-the-nhl/

Courtesy of Fenway of the BoH, here's all thirty in a nifty list:

1. Toronto Maple Leafs $1,300 mil.
2. New York Rangers $1,100 mil.
3. Montreal Canadiens $1,000 mil.
4. Chicago Blackhawks $825 mil.
5. Vancouver Canucks $800 mil.
6. Boston Bruins $750 mil.
7. Philadelphia Flyers $625 mil.
8. Los Angeles Kings $580 mil.
9. Detroit Red Wings $570 mil.
10. Pittsburgh Penguins $565 mil.
11. Washington Capitals $500 mil.
12. Edmonton Oilers $475 mil.
13. Calgary Flames $451 mil.
14. San Jose Sharks $425 mil.
15. Dallas Stars $420 mil.
16. Ottawa Senators $400 mil.
17. Minnesota Wild $370 mil.
18. Anaheim Ducks $365 mil.
19. Colorado Avalanche $360 mil.
20. Winnipeg Jets $358 mil.
21. New Jersey Devils $330 mil.
22. New York Islanders $300 mil.
23. Buffalo Sabres $288 mil.
24. Nashville Predators $250 mil.
25. St. Louis Blues $235 mil.
26. Tampa Bay Lightning $230 mil.
27. Arizona Coyotes $225 mil.
28. Carolina Hurricanes $220 mil.
29. Columbus Blue Jackets $200 mil.
30. Florida Panthers $190 mil.

The Yotes, Canes, Jackets, and Panthers combined allegedly are worth only ten million bucks more than the Hawks, who I'm sure still aren't profitable, right Rocky? :naughty:

Last edited:

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
I am a firm believer in DCF though to be honest. I think a company's worth is really derived more so from the cash flows they generate (and not as much from brand value/capital). Sports franchises do buck that philosophy though.

Nothingman*

I am a firm believer in DCF though to be honest. I think a company's worth is really derived more so from the cash flows they generate (and not as much from brand value/capital). Sports franchises do buck that philosophy though.

I agree with this 100%.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013

That's no fun. How are the company's owners/executives supposed to take advantage of all the tax breaks written for them if you do that?

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Are there any public valuations done on the Hawks when ownership transferred to Rocky? Curious how much that's appreciated.

That St Louis valuation is terrible considering this is a golden age of hockey there. Just a terrible sports town outside of the Cardinals.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
I think its a privately held company. Not sure if anything was publicized at the time of the old mans death about valuation for estate tax purposes.

As for St. Louis, just hope their hockey game tonight can go on without any of the Ferguson stuff affecting anything with it.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
179 to 825 in 7 years :amazed:.

I don't know where to put this since we don't have a running roster/trade thread like most other team boards but... I can't shake the feeling that we will have a former Blackhawk off the Winnipeg Jets on our playoff roster. We have the pieces and it can be done with the cap.

Which one?

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Byfuglien. There are a lot of reasons why it makes sense. Obviously Winnipeg needs to go on a little losing streak and fall out first. Leaving work so I can't spell out my reasoning now.

Interesting. He'd be the ex-Hawk I'd expect to return the least, not that I'd be opposed to his return necessarily.

Lots of good tight games going tonight. Go CBJ, LAK, and OTT!

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Byfuglien. There are a lot of reasons why it makes sense. Obviously Winnipeg needs to go on a little losing streak and fall out first. Leaving work so I can't spell out my reasoning now.

He's signed through next season at a $5.2M cap hit. The Hawks don't need him at forward and he never did figure out how to play in his own zone as a defenseman.

The move wouldn't make sense even if Chicago didn't have major cap troubles coming up this summer.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It would be interesting if a package like Bickell, Morin, Clendening a 1st for Buff at 50% would get it done. I can't see that happening though.

Buff Toews Kane
Sharp Richards Hossa
Saad Shaw Versteeg
Carcillo Kruger Smith

Next year
Buff Toews Kane
Saad TT Hossa
Versteeg Shaw Smith
McNeill Danault Ross

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
He's signed through next season at a $5.2M cap hit. The Hawks don't need him at forward and he never did figure out how to play in his own zone as a defenseman.

The move wouldn't make sense even if Chicago didn't have major cap troubles coming up this summer.

Byfuglien is the perfect solution to our major cap troubles. Sharp or Seabrook are the guys out the door, right? Byfuglien could conceivably fill in either spot and allow Stan to take the best deal rather than telegraphing the trade like he had to do this summer with Leddy.

Also, You get rid of Bickell and replace with Buff. Upgrade. Also, you could get a little retention on Buff if you sweeten the pot. I think it could happen.

You give Winnipeg a 1st + good piece or 2 and then 1 of Buff, Sharp, Seabrook leave this summer and you will more than likely get a 1st back in that deal so it's kind of a zero sum deal.

It's always been overkill to have to trade Sharp or Seabrook this offseason, it leaves us with a little more cap space then we'd need. Going from Bickell to Buff is the way to go IMO.

Last edited:

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Byfuglien is the perfect solution to our major cap troubles. Sharp or Seabrook are the guys out the door, right? Byfuglien could conceivably fill in either spot and allow Stan to take the best deal rather than telegraphing the trade like he had to do this summer with Leddy.

Also, You get rid of Bickell and replace with Buff. Upgrade. Also, you could get a little retention on Buff if you sweeten the pot. I think it could happen.

You give Winnipeg a 1st + good piece or 2 and then 1 of Buff, Sharp, Seabrook leave this summer and you will more than likely get a 1st back in that deal so it's kind of a zero sum deal.

It's always been overkill to have to trade Sharp or Seabrook this offseason, it leaves us with a little more cap space then we'd need. Going from Bickell to Buff is the way to go IMO.

Agree to disagree on the extent of our cap woes but hopefully more clarity is provided when the NHL BOG meets next month.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Agree to disagree on the extent of our cap woes but hopefully more clarity is provided when the NHL BOG meets next month.

You think the cap will go down? Because hypothetically trading any of Seabrook, Sharp or Byfuglien fits just right with a 69M cap. It's all so hypothetical, I just want to hear from the BoG. I do think Bickell is testing the last nerve of the staff.

I don't remember where I heard it, Lebrun, Custance, Mackenzie or MvsW but someone said that the Chicago front office has been shocked by Bickells Ineffectiveness. Apparently they read him the riot act in the offseason, he came back in great shape... They thought he would comeback like Versteeg and it's still same old Bickell.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Ottawa just got hosed on a goal called off based on "incidental contact" where the Blues player pushed the Ottawa player into Brian Elliot.

Whatever is wrong with Elliot though caused him to come out of the game.

And now Reaves and Gryba are fighting. These teams hate each other as much as the HF fanbases I guess.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
You think the cap will go down? Because hypothetically trading any of Seabrook, Sharp or Byfuglien fits just right with a 69M cap. It's all so hypothetical, I just want to hear from the BoG. I do think Bickell is testing the last nerve of the staff.

I don't remember where I heard it, Lebrun, Custance, Mackenzie or MvsW but someone said that the Chicago front office has been shocked by Bickells Ineffectiveness. Apparently they read him the riot act in the offseason, he came back in great shape... They thought he would comeback like Versteeg and it's still same old Bickell.

I don't think the cap will go down. I am worried about the cap staying flat because of the Canadian dollar issue and the NHLPA being mad about how escrow has worked the past few years and because the NHL only scheduled two outdoor games this year when they were originally anticipated to do more than that.

Interesting about that stuff about Bickell. I could see them feeling that way. Part of me wonders if there's an incentive for a guy like Bickell to play like crap so he isn't tradeable. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad