Around The NHL (Part XLI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Bob Richards*

It appears that Tim Thomas has been traded to the Islanders.

turcotte8

Feb 15, 2008
NY
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

The Boston Bruins only get a draft pick from the Islanders for Tim Thomas if he reports to them or any other team if NYI trade his rights.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

The Boston Bruins only get a draft pick from the Islanders for Tim Thomas if he reports to them or any other team if NYI trade his rights.

well this is a hoot........now we see if he plays next yr

topcat986*

Bonus part is Bruins now have 9 million free on Savard ltir and Thomas 5 mill cap off books:handclap:

turcotte8

Feb 15, 2008
NY
Down Goes Brown ‏@DownGoesBrown

So is Gary Bettman going to strip draft picks after this blatant cap circumvention or is he only a tough guy when it's not Jeremy Jacobs?

topcat986*

So is Gary Bettman going to strip draft picks after this blatant cap circumvention or is he only a tough guy when it's not Jeremy Jacobs?

If anyone is at fault it is Cheap Islanders and Chiarelli is pretty sharp dude at being cap compliant. I for one would love the draft pick but that is just a bonus as now Boston can defintly add to there roster at trade deadline or before:handclap:

Kershaw

lol.

I know DownGoesBrown is a comedian, but he is sorta right here.

It isn't really fair that the Devils got punished for signing a player to a contract, while the Isles are blatantly constructing a hockey trade just to avoid spending real money to reach the cap floor. This is as good as it gets in cap circumvention, nothing will be made out of it though.

charlie460

Stone Age Hockey
Nov 25, 2011
Norway
Anyone else see the extremely questionable calls from the Lightning/Devils game? Penalty fest and then Boucher gets an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Mayers hit penalty shows how ****ing terrible the refs are
What BS

I blame the league.

I like that they finally starting whistling the headshots, I've only been calling for that to happen for over 10 years. The problem is they're calling TOO much, even the shoulder on shoulders if they see alot of head/neck movement on the hit. That's the definition of reactionary. Yet, those plays happen so fast, is it really possible for them to catch every nuance of every play?

If so, they need to be trained better. Looking how bad its been the last few seasons we're all gonna have to be patient.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Fascinated with the Anaheim goaltending situation between Fasth, Andersen, and Hiller.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Fascinated with the Anaheim goaltending situation between Fasth, Andersen, and Hiller.

With John Gibson on the way as well.

Talked about stacked at tender.

They should move Hiller ASAP. Maybe a team like Toronto would bite.

Hard trying to figure out the return on Hiller. Burke, who first signed Hiller, no longer the GM of the Leafs. Toronto traded for Giguere 1/31/10, the day after Hiller signed his deal with the Ducks.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Fun fact: Garth Snow is the first GM in NHL history to have his own cap hit on the books.

Hehe, that might worry a few NHL lawyers.

You can't collude with yourself etc. It opens up all kind of cap circumvention problems if the GM and the player is the same person.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
I feel bad for the caps. They had a great goalie in Varly. An AHL goalie has a good playoff run, and they decide he's a #1. They trade Variy.
Turns out the new goalie isn't that good, but luckily they signed Vokoun to help them. Next playoffs, a another AHLer has a great playoff run, and they decide he's a #1. Turns out he's not bad, he's terrible.

Now they're stuck with 2 AHL goalies :handclap:

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/299915513809760256

LAK announce acquisition of defenceman Keaton Ellerby from FLA for a 5th-round draft choice.

great value for a former first round pick from 2007... i was hoping Sather would do a trade like this low risk high reward.. great move for the Kings.

You mentioned Boyle for Ellerby (as did maybe one or two others, I believe). He got traded for a 5th. I don't understand why Glen isn't offering a 4th or a 5th + a cond. 7th or something. Loktionov went for a 5th. Lovejoy went for a 5th. Now Ellerby for a 5th. At least either of the Dmen could have helped our bottom pairing. Not sure why we don't do something like this. These are decent young guys who will get a better chance to play in their new locations and will likely cement themselves as third line/bottom pairing guys, getting moved for extremely cheap. We need to be in on this kind of activity.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I feel bad for the caps. They had a great goalie in Varly. An AHL goalie has a good playoff run, and they decide he's a #1. They trade Variy.
Turns out the new goalie isn't that good, but luckily they signed Vokoun to help them. Next playoffs, a another AHLer has a great playoff run, and they decide he's a #1. Turns out he's not bad, he's terrible.

Now they're stuck with 2 AHL goalies :handclap:

Maybe they should get in on the Roberto Luongo sweepstakes.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Agreed, I would gladly give up a 5th for a solid bottom pairing D. Gilroy had another good game, but he followed his last good game up with a really subpar one against the Devs. Not sure he'll be consistently solid, and I'd definitely throw a fifth around for a guy who is game in and game out good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad