Around the NHL: Part III – Oilers Fire Chiarelli [Update: Still Suck]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
This kid Connor Garland looks pretty good. Nice 5th round find by the Coyotes

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
You'd have to throw in 2 of either Miller, Igor, Kravtsov or CHytil on top of Zbad/Hayes and picks to even sniff at this IF Connor demanded a trade imo
Yeah. Really. The cost for a guy an elite guy like McDavid would be two superstars plus. The Rangers don’t have one superstar.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
This kid Connor Garland looks pretty good. Nice 5th round find by the Coyotes
Bizarre that he dropped that far TBH. I get why he might not have been picked in 2014 as a small(ish), just below PPG player in the Q. But he scored 153 points in 83 games the following year, which should see you picked in the mid-2nd at the latest, even as a D+1 pick. He was the faraway leader on his team in points as well, so he wasn't riding the coattails of someone else.

Last edited:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Seems like the ducks are losing every other night now? They're been terrible since December wtf

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

Just kidding of course. Although honestly, if the great one could get traded for the right package, why not Connor?
Insane, yes. But what a haul that would be. Wonder how many teams could afford him and what would the return look like?

Connor is great and all, but certainly not a one man show. They have some decent players......starting with Draisatl.
If it were the Rangers it would have to be something like.....
Zbad, Zuccha, Vesey or Buchnevich and Pionk, a 2019 1st and 2020 1st.......?
Okay, go ahead and crush me, have at it! Lmao.

Gretzky got traded for money. That doesnt happen anymore. Pocklington got nothing of value other than cash to get himself out of debt, these days that trade would never happen

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Yeah they don't allow cash swaps after the Rangers bought Messier in exchange for cash for Pocklington's attorney fees.
TIL Jake DeBrusk's dad was an enforcer for the Binghamton Rangers who was included in the Messier trade and then carved out a 400+ GP NHL career along with 40-something points and thousands of PIM.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Gretzky got traded for money. That doesnt happen anymore. Pocklington got nothing of value other than cash to get himself out of debt, these days that trade would never happen

Obviously no one was going to match Gretzky's ability and production, but I almost think we forget the talent that was acquired for him or selected with the assets in that trade.

Martin Gelinas was an 18 year old scoring sensation drafted 7th overall by the Kings a few weeks prior. He was a member of the Kid Line, which was instrumental in the 1990 cup victory. He scored 300 goals and played 1200 games in the NHL.

The Oilers also received three first round picks which ended up being the 18th pick in 1989, the 20th pick in 1991, and the 16th pick in 1993. One of the players became Martin Rucinsky, who played 900+ games and scored 241 goals. So when all is said and done, the Oilers ended up with two wingers who scored 550 goals and played 2,100 NHL games.

From an asset management standpoint, those other picks easily could've been names like Jason Allison, or Saku Koivu, Todd Bertuzzi, or Adam Foote.

So, in hindsight, the biggest thing that probably held the Oilers back was how they used the picks and asset management.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
TIL Jake DeBrusk's dad was an enforcer for the Binghamton Rangers who was included in the Messier trade and then carved out a 400+ GP NHL career along with 40-something points and thousands of PIM.

The Rangers gave up some decent prospects at the time --- Debrusk and Rice, and Bernie Nichols was actually pretty high scorer at that point. His offense took dips in later years due to injuries and playing in defensive minded systems, but he was an underrated player.

But the Debrusk and Rice aspect illustrate how funny it can be to look back at prospects with the benefit of time. The players we're passionate about today can sometimes seem like no big with the passage of time.

And the truth is that if the Rangers were in the same position today, as they were in the summer of 1991, a lot of people on here would lose their minds over a Mark Messier like trade.

Reactions: Blurt Vision

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The Rangers gave up some decent prospects at the time --- Debrusk and Rice, and Bernie Nichols was actually pretty high scorer at that point. His offense took dips in later years due to injuries and playing in defensive minded systems, but he was an underrated player.

But the Debrusk and Rice aspect illustrate how funny it can be to look back at prospects with the benefit of time. The players we're passionate about today can sometimes seem like no big with the passage of time.

And the truth is that if the Rangers were in the same position today, as they were in the summer of 1991, a lot of people on here would lose their minds over a Mark Messier like trade.

Nicholls was a dog.

Quite frankly the Rangers gave up too much to get him in the first place.

Granato + Sandstrom :eek:

Reactions: trilobyte

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Trades are funny things... people still lose their minds about Amonte and Weight...and on paper...we probably lost both those deals. But without those deals... We probably don't get past the Devils in the playoffs (my opinion).

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
You'd have to throw in 2 of either Miller, Igor, Kravtsov or CHytil on top of Zbad/Hayes and picks to even sniff at this IF Connor demanded a trade imo
I'd rather sniff some of my good cooking, or my girlfriends.......
>
>
>
>
>
>
Perfume! C'mon man.......what were you thinking?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Try Zbad, Kreider, AND DEFINITELY one of - Chytil/Buch/TDA/ + 1st ‘19

At least
I was really trying NOT to have to part with Kreids (offering Zuccha and Vesey instead), Pionk instead of Tony and throwing in a 2020 instead of Chytil.......so, I'm not really that far off. We were talking about Chiarelli, right? Was just trying to be somewhat fair here.

Reactions: Rongomania

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Never even would be any kind of thought to that. That would THROW AWAY most of our future. Thats what we Rangers fans re looking "forward to". Having McDavid wouldnt change a damned thing around here without that "HOPE".

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
I was really trying NOT to have to part with Kreids (offering Zuccha and Vesey instead), Pionk instead of Tony and throwing in a 2020 instead of Chytil.......so, I'm not really that far off. We were talking about Chiarelli, right? Was just trying to be somewhat fair here.
Ask yourself if you’d make that trade if it was the other way around.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I mean strome for spooner was a severe fleecing.

Strome for Spooner was a good trade, but it doesn't belong in the "severe fleecing' category; that's reserved for the types of trades Chia made with the Isles and Devils

Reactions: bl02
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad