Around the NHL: Part III – Oilers Fire Chiarelli [Update: Still Suck]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Gainey_Bob_025.jpg

Howdy folks! Just swirling around the resumé with all you millennials. I haven't applied for one of these jobs in the social media era, so if you could tweet somebody about me, it would be nice. /dab

Last edited:

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Are we even sure this takes the oil out of anything?
I'm not. The big issue going forward was that Chiarelli was in a position to win, or get fired. They are also in a state where they are caught up in a rebuild and have very few assets. You don't want a guy mortgaging the future for an immediate goal. He just wasn't in the right position to serve the team's needs.

So the team is now in a place where the people calling the shots are also assumed to be there long term. They won't go all in for a 1st round loss. But they still have season ticket renewals and financial obligations. I think they are still open for business.

Reactions: nyr2k2

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
They need to fire the rest of the front office too. Chiarelli was just part of the problem. But man they must have been really worried as bout what desperation trade he might have made at the deadline to try and save his job.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
They need to fire the rest of the front office too. Chiarelli was just part of the problem. But man they must have been really worried as bout what desperation trade he might have made at the deadline to try and save his job.

Agreed.

Chia Pet was a part of a bigger problem that extends far beyond him, and back many, many years.

For starters, the team's scouting department needs an overhaul.

Outside of first round picks, especially those in the top 10, they simply have not uncovered enough talent.

Taking everything else off the table for a second, that can cripple an organization if it occurs over a long enough time span.

So even if you find someone who avoid many of Chia's most disastrous trades, they'd have to be damn-near perfect to battle some of the inherent depth issues that continue to plague that organization.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Guess the random twitter account that broke this last week is now credible. Guy was getting flak on the main boards a bit, but...he was right!

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
Agreed.

Chia Pet was a part of a bigger problem that extends far beyond him, and back many, many years.

For starters, the team's scouting department needs an overhaul.

Outside of first round picks, especially those in the top 10, they simply have not uncovered enough talent.

Taking everything else off the table for a second, that can cripple an organization if it occurs over a long enough time span.

So even if you find someone who avoid many of Chia's most disastrous trades, they'd have to be damn-near perfect to battle some of the inherent depth issues that continue to plague that organization.

Bob Green influence definitely did not help. He was the one who pushed for the Reinhardt trade, and a few others.

And of course the scary thing about Bob Green is he had Sathers ear for a long time before he went to work for Edmonton.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I think we should sticky this when people assume that there's a rainbow that leads outside of NYC to a magical land of logical, quality hockey coverage.

Anything hockey related in Canada is going to be 100 times more cancerous than even the worst NY baseball or football coverage . It’s almost as bad as the English media when it comes to soccer.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Now our only hope of fleecing Chiarelli is if Strome turns into a good 2nd liner.
Not really. Maybe he will get a position with the Caps or Pens.
All kidding aside, that will probably be the last we hear of that man having anything to do with the NHL.

He might have kept his job if word didnt get out that he was shopping McDavid.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Not really. Maybe he will get a position with the Caps or Pens.
All kidding aside, that will probably be the last we hear of that man having anything to do with the NHL.

He might have kept his job if word didnt get out that he was shopping McDavid.

Just kidding of course. Although honestly, if the great one could get traded for the right package, why not Connor?
Insane, yes. But what a haul that would be. Wonder how many teams could afford him and what would the return look like?

Connor is great and all, but certainly not a one man show. They have some decent players......starting with Draisatl.
If it were the Rangers it would have to be something like.....
Zbad, Zuccha, Vesey or Buchnevich and Pionk, a 2019 1st and 2020 1st.......?
Okay, go ahead and crush me, have at it! Lmao.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Just kidding of course. Although honestly, if the great one could get traded for the right package, why not Connor?
Insane, yes. But what a haul that would be. Wonder how many teams could afford him and what would the return look like?

Connor is great and all, but certainly not a one man show. They have some decent players......starting with Draisatl.

Try Zbad, Kreider, AND DEFINITELY one of - Chytil/Buch/TDA/ + 1st ‘19

At least

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

You'd have to throw in 2 of either Miller, Igor, Kravtsov or CHytil on top of Zbad/Hayes and picks to even sniff at this IF Connor demanded a trade imo

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad