NHL Around the NHL - Offseason moves and rumblings II - Habs trade Max67 to Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
They should be improved but who knows. At least it keeps him away from the better teams, but I think it's foolish to think he wouldn't have made the Bruins better immediate term (not that you are saying that)

I do, but I wonder what we had to give up to get him? I don’t think he would be worth the price. I can see him doing really well and having a career year next to Eichel, but we do not have an eichel, I don’t think Krejci would bring out his best, and I don’t think he’d be enough of an improvement over Donato (and definitely not Pasta) to warrant the move

So if we matched we would have had to offer what? JFK and the picks? Probably more since those buffalo picks are much more valuable. Not sure I give up JFK, he’s one of three truly promising centers. In all likelihood only two of those guys make it. And in all likelihood only one of them makes it into the top 6. You trade one of them for a winger and you just decreased your chances of replacing Krejci’s production by a chunk of years. Meanwhile you have prospects knocking on the door at wing and guys that like I mentioned earlier are already there. I’d rather have Donato put up 40-50 points this year for free than see Skinner put up 60 while getting pushed around with the Krejci line for all the assets he would have cost

Carolina got a good deal if you ask me, especially if Pu ends up being a top 6 guy. Skinner has been there years and they’ve gone no where. No need to lament his loss

He wanted to go to Buffalo? WTF is wrong with this guy? :dunno: :laugh:

Wanted to be close to home but ya...

To me this only reinforces why we didn’t go out and get him. Kid accepted a trade to one of the lesser cities in the US and a team that’s junk. They might be good in a few years but they’re junk now and likely will be bottom ten this year. I guess playing in Carolina year after year lowers your standard but...idk if I’d want to commit to a kid that has never cracked 65 points yet is billed as high end offensive, and not much else

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I do, but I wonder what we had to give up to get him? I don’t think he would be worth the price. I can see him doing really well and having a career year next to Eichel, but we do not have an eichel, I don’t think Krejci would bring out his best, and I don’t think he’d be enough of an improvement over Donato (and definitely not Pasta) to warrant the move

So if we matched we would have had to offer what? JFK and the picks? Probably more since those buffalo picks are much more valuable. Not sure I give up JFK, he’s one of three truly promising centers. In all likelihood only two of those guys make it. And in all likelihood only one of them makes it into the top 6. You trade one of them for a winger and you just decreased your chances of replacing Krejci’s production by a chunk of years. Meanwhile you have prospects knocking on the door at wing and guys that like I mentioned earlier are already there. I’d rather have Donato put up 40-50 points this year for free than see Skinner put up 60 while getting pushed around with the Krejci line for all the assets he would have cost

Carolina got a good deal if you ask me, especially if Pu ends up being a top 6 guy. Skinner has been there years and they’ve gone no where. No need to lament his loss

Wanted to be close to home but ya...

To me this only reinforces why we didn’t go out and get him. Kid accepted a trade to one of the lesser cities in the US and a team that’s junk. They might be good in a few years but they’re junk now and likely will be bottom ten this year. I guess playing in Carolina year after year lowers your standard but...idk if I’d want to commit to a kid that has never cracked 65 points yet is billed as high end offensive, and not much else

I see a possible Nathan Horton type impact here had we Acquired Skinner. A similar deal I see is Cehlarik, two seconds and a fourth. Pu "could" be a good pro, agreed.

63-37-88
74-46-Skinner
43-52-42
17-Wagner-55

sign me up.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
he did have four less hits than Marchand and more than Krejci so I guess he is soft.

I meant more so from the offensive standpoint, but after watching last years play-offs there is no reason for us to add secondary scoring.
Why do you think they didn't make a push for Skinner?

I think it's cap concern. The Hurricanes didn't take any money back in this deal. The Bruins would have needed to clear dollars in order to add Skinner.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

I think it's cap concern. The Hurricanes didn't take any money back in this deal. The Bruins would have needed to clear dollars in order to add Skinner.

And when you add in all the players that will be looking for raises soon it doesn’t make sense

If Senyshyn doesn’t pan out though Sweeney might have egg on his face concerning the wing depth

Mr. Make-Believe

And clearly having to give up someone they didn't want to give up for a player who is essentially a left wing, which isn't a need.
They inquired in the past though. I don't know... Maybe they believe things have changed and were no longer interested. Also, they were after Kovalchuk. ??

I can accept if they had no more interest in Skinner. I have a difficult time accepting that they are finished with this roster.

Reactions: Strafer

Mr. Make-Believe

And when you add in all the players that will be looking for raises soon it doesn’t make sense

If Senyshyn doesn’t pan out though Sweeney might have egg on his face concerning the wing depth
I am SO hoping for Senyshsyn. Dude's skillset is PRECISELY what this team needs on the wing.

PLEASE light up the AHL...

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

Cap hit #1
They believe in their prospects #1A

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
They inquired in the past though. I don't know... Maybe they believe things have changed and were no longer interested. Also, they were after Kovalchuk. ??

I can accept if they had no more interest in Skinner. I have a difficult time accepting that they are finished with this roster.

I think the Kovy attempt made more sense in that he did play RW for a couple seasons in NJ at a pretty extraodinary level- he is just a whole different class of player. I do remember a story that there was some interest in Skinner, but I imagine the ask was too high for what could be a one year rental. Skinner is UFA after this season and as you pointed out, the cap is tight as is. Who knows what might be in the works, but I wouldn't be shocked if this is it, and we see what we see with the youth movement.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Deal McQuaid for a pick and you are basically right there.

As far as prospects, Pu was the Sabres, what 10th ranked? 2 and 3 in separate years? deal was a joke.

I like prospects too, but each year we add another 4-5 prospects to the bunch, they ain't all gonna play.

You just could have had a top 9 of

63-37-88
74-46-53 (maybe JDB plays rw)
17/10-42-43

That's superb, but we didn't pull the trigger and Backes has a case of center amnesia. Skinner would have added much needed speed, skill and a secondary scoring threat, IMO it was a huge missed opportunity.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

IMO, you just let Skinner sign elsewhere then. The cost of obtaining him was not a huge loss going forward even if you only have him for 82 games plus play-offs. Plus you could move Backes "supposedly" with two years left and peanuts owed. We paid more for rental at the deadline last season,

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Deal McQuaid for a pick and you are basically right there.

As far as prospects, Pu was the Sabres, what 10th ranked? 2 and 3 in separate years? deal was a joke.

I like prospects too, but each year we add another 4-5 prospects to the bunch, they ain't all gonna play.

You just could have had a top 9 of

63-37-88
74-46-53 (maybe JDB plays rw)
17/10-42-43

That's superb, but we didn't pull the trigger and Backes has a case of center amnesia. Skinner would have added much needed speed, skill and a secondary scoring threat, IMO it was a huge missed opportunity.

its far too simplistic to say dealing McQuaid fixes the cap

our upper limit IS NOT 79,5 BECAUSE we have an overage penalty from last year of 774 k

our current cap friendly cap usage for this season is projected at 76.54 mill
our current cap room is projected at just a shade under 3 mill

BUT HERES THE KICKER... our kids have a possibility of over 3.7 mill in bonus money they might earn this year. when the final totals are tallied we might be OVER THE CAP and we might suffer ADDITIONAL PENALTIES NEXT YEAR

if we were going to add skinner to a cap situation that is already potentially over the limit... it will take more than McQuaid to make it work

Reactions: Strafer

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Cap is out there and their prospects are here - they been trading draft picks need to retain

If this was 2015 it makes sense

There were 28 other teams that didn’t get him I wonder where there GM s were on this

Reactions: Saxon Eric

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
IMO, you just let Skinner sign elsewhere then. The cost of obtaining him was not a huge loss going forward even if you only have him for 82 games plus play-offs. Plus you could move Backes "supposedly" with two years left and peanuts owed. We paid more for rental at the deadline last season,

You weren't getting Skinner for Cehlarik. Right now, Pu has much more value than Cehlarik does coming off of two very good OHL years.

Last edited:
Reactions: DKH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad