Around the NHL: Offseason Edition Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Edmundson is a solid #4. Jake hasn't even proven to be a solid NHLer on the consistent basis.

I disagree. People said the same thing about Scandella before we acquired him. He was a top 4 defensemen, then we put him in a crappy system, surrounded him with poor teammates, and didn't use him properly, and now no one even has him in their roster projections. I'd bet my left arm if you traded McCabe for Edmundson your opinion of the two would flip, but it's a hypothetical that can't be proven so here we sit...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Cozens exactly 30 spots behind him. Is the writer among the roughly 95% of hockey writers who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about and are always Mike Francessa level wrong?

He has the rest of his top 100 posted on Twitter if you would like a gander:

Follow the link, you can see the rest.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
He has the rest of his top 100 posted on Twitter if you would like a gander:

Follow the link, you can see the rest.

I'll admit him omitting UPL because he suffered a serious injury but having a guy who fell in this past draft because of a serious injury near the top of this list made me chuckle. I mean if you offered half the guys on his top 100 list to us straight up for UPL Botts laughs and hangs up the phone.

I will give him credit for being willing to engage with people, unlike a lot of the clowns in the hockey media. Just think that list is not particularly good.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'll admit him omitting UPL because he suffered a serious injury but having a guy who fell in this past draft because of a serious injury near the top of this list made me chuckle. I mean if you offered half the guys on his top 100 list to us straight up for UPL Botts laughs and hangs up the phone.

Goalies are voodoo. I don’t mind the Russian “S” squad being high up the list because they’re doing it in their early to mid 20s. I want them to ease UPL into the lineup in a more controlled manner than they did with Ullmark. I personally love these lists to see what players a particular Scout has high regard for that I either regard well or don’t because then it informs me in the future that if there’s a player that we disagree on there might be some historical similarities. Pronman has his preferences too, and it’s interesting to see how they shape their opinions over time. No player is truly a finished product until they become legit a NHLer and is too do opinions shift on where players are on their arc.

Reactions: brian_griffin

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Goalies are voodoo. I don’t mind the Russian “S” squad being high up the list because they’re doing it in their early to mid 20s. I want them to ease UPL into the lineup in a more controlled manner than they did with Ullmark. I personally love these lists to see what players a particular Scout has high regard for that I either regard well or don’t because then it informs me in the future that if there’s a player that we disagree on there might be some historical similarities. Pronman has his preferences too, and it’s interesting to see how they shape their opinions over time. No player is truly a finished product until they become legit a NHLer and is too do opinions shift on where players are on their arc.
And my problem with ranking Russians on KHL teams is that they play in a league that is for goalies what MLB in 1968 was for pitchers.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I can buy that Edmundson is a solid Dman, especially in the right system -- probably better than McCabe.

Jake McCabe is a top 6 defenseman on 75-80% of NHL teams.

I can't get there... McCabe did this with worse coaching, worse teammates, against high quality of competition and a higher percentage of d zone starts:

upload_2019-8-6_15-25-40.png

Also, his PKing analytics are better than Edmundson. This is 100% 'grass is greener' syndrome

alehman42

Sponsor
Apr 13, 2015
I Assume that’s a reference to Bob Gibson’s dominance causing MLB to lower the mound???

MLB did lower the mound for 1969, but not (solely) because of Gibson. There is an argument (that I do not support) that Denny McClain had a better year than Gibson in 1968.

MLB lowered the mound because Gibson was one of TWENTY-TWO qualified pitchers with an ERA under 2.50, and they felt the rules needed adjusting to support offense.

(Conspiracy theory: when the opposite happened in 2000, when no qualified pitcher other than PEDRO! had an ERA under 3.50, MLB compensated by adjusting the properties of the ball rather than adjusting the rules).

As I've said previously,I know baseball waaay better than I know hockey. I will now return you to your regularly scheduled hockey discussion.

Cheers!

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I had no idea Waddell was working without a contract, what a strange situation

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah apparently Dundon hasn't seen any reason to pay a GM anything near what other NHL GM's are getting.

I suppose you could argue that makes some sense if he's actually switched to using his analytic department as the primary driver of decisions. Though since Waddell is also the team President, it makes you wonder what the hell their decision making structure looks like.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

Here’s another story on this.

Dundon is different (and by different I mean cheap as hell).

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article233585707.html

He seems to see most everyone (in the front office, scouting staff, coaching staff) as replaceable, no matter what they’ve accomplished.

His ownership of the canes is going to be an interesting story to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad