Around the NHL: HOCKEY’S BACK BABY

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Also, new ownership will likely try to make a splash, given the strong prospect pool and all the draft picks Arizona has to make moves possible. They may also be bidding on UFA. I'm sure the usual barstool squatting WNY sports fans will handle that well.

‘Call terry and tell him he’s getting outbid by the god damned sister wives’

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
I live in Salt Lake and am pretty excited for this. I'll be at their opener and probably get some kind of ticket package. I assume they're playing at the Delta Center (where the Jazz play) instead of the Maverik Center (where the ECHL Grizzlies play) for capacity and money reasons. Lots of cities have combined NBA/NHL arenas

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
I’ve worked for 4 F100 companies in my career. Did a 5ish year stint as an off ice official when Atlanta had the thrashers. My exposure to the nhl was basically wtf the entire time. Don’t for a second think just because they’re a professional sports league that they have things dialed in.
you and my brother probably worked with each other. He was with the Thrashers as strength and conditioning coach.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
FB_IMG_1649906404169.jpg

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So the guy who sabotaged the place his team plays and then didn't get a new place to play built, in part by his own inactions, gets to cash out almost $600M USD simply so the NHL doesn't get hit with a lawsuit.

If I were a Coyote fan, I would want to give Meruelo a TJ Oshie Special every time I see the guy.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
There was an article in Imthink Forbes a few years back about sports franchises and the effect of expansion or relocation. The conclusion was that first in wins. They looked at NHL teams that moved to Markets with existing NBA franchises and they generally fared more poorly, Atlanta Az Fla (initially) whereas CBJ VGK Nash all were more successful building affinity right off the bat. Dallas and Colorado were more successful but they pointed out that attendance at stars avs games declined when the Mavs Nuggets were good. Was in SLC in March. It is not a sports town as we imagine sports towns like NY, CHi Bos La Buf are towns where pro sports are integral in the community. Most I talked were aware that they might get a team and “would go to a game to check it out.”

I have a friend who coached their MSL team. He said they had a difficult time getting players to come there. The culture and lack of anything to do that isn’t outdoor activity related made it difficult to attract and keep players. I will watch with curiosity to see how this plays out. FTR I usually visit at least once a year to ski. More in good snow years. Couldn’t live there though no matter how good the snow is.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
There was an article in Imthink Forbes a few years back about sports franchises and the effect of expansion or relocation. The conclusion was that first in wins. They looked at NHL teams that moved to Markets with existing NBA franchises and they generally fared more poorly, Atlanta Az Fla (initially) whereas CBJ VGK Nash all were more successful building affinity right off the bat. Dallas and Colorado were more successful but they pointed out that attendance at stars avs games declined when the Mavs Nuggets were good. Was in SLC in March. It is not a sports town as we imagine sports towns like NY, CHi Bos La Buf are towns where pro sports are integral in the community. Most I talked were aware that they might get a team and “would go to a game to check it out.”

I have a friend who coached their MSL team. He said they had a difficult time getting players to come there. The culture and lack of anything to do that isn’t outdoor activity related made it difficult to attract and keep players. I will watch with curiosity to see how this plays out. FTR I usually visit at least once a year to ski. More in good snow years. Couldn’t live there though no matter how good the snow is.
I was there for a couple days for my next to last company. locals tell me that when it gets warm, the pollution from all the mining and shit created this "bowl" (pollution inversion?) over the area that reminds me of LA back in the day. Place was beautiful in the fall. Aspens turning yellow and Park City was beautiful (but expen$ive). Not sure what all the Canadian drinkers, err, players are going to do there.

• Wow
Reactions: Chainshot

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I was there for a couple days for my next to last company. locals tell me that when it gets warm, the pollution from all the mining and shit created this "bowl" (pollution inversion?) over the area that reminds me of LA back in the day. Place was beautiful in the fall. Aspens turning yellow and Park City was beautiful (but expen$ive). Not sure what all the Canadian drinkers, err, players are going to do there.
The inversion is weird. Been there when the valley was socked in and then drove up the little cottonwood canyon and drove out of it. Blue skies sunny. Then drove back down and it was like a different place.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
So the guy who sabotaged the place his team plays and then didn't get a new place to play built, in part by his own inactions, gets to cash out almost $600M USD simply so the NHL doesn't get hit with a lawsuit.

If I were a Coyote fan, I would want to give Meruelo a TJ Oshie Special every time I see the guy.
5816e6ce7db2cf6c13f770d6c77e21a5.jpg

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Just watched the end of Red Wings-Habs and saw JT Compher outscored Dylan Cozens this season. Should have kept that guy.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
So Detroit or Washington is going to make the playoffs with the same number of points the Sabres had last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad