Around the NHL: HOCKEY’S BACK BABY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I am curious what happens once the league-run cap circumvention destination is removed from the league equation, what happens to teams saddled with their own misery from poor contract decisions or ill-health? Who becomes the dumping ground for the league's waste?

Reactions: Dirty Dog

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I am curious what happens once the league-run cap circumvention destination is removed from the league equation, what happens to teams saddled with their own misery from poor contract decisions or ill-health? Who becomes the dumping ground for the league's waste?

SJS for a couple years. Then like NYI.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Slimy by the Yotes to put out that video of the new arena and then pull the rug out from under the fans.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Slimy by the Yotes to put out that video of the new arena and then pull the rug out from under the fans.

Friedman today said it's landed as a betrayal to the staff and players, not just the fans. Internally they were selling everyone that they were going for the auction and warned no one about a sale.

Reactions: sabremike and Beerz

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Friedman today said it's landed as a betrayal to the staff and players, not just the fans. Internally they were selling everyone that they were going for the auction and warned no one about a sale.

Given Muerelo's huge payday (likely netting 500M+ after expenses), I am very curious how genuine his intentions ever were. He was the one who got them kicked out of their previous arena, and every attempt since then has been moonshots. If he realized that the NHL wouldn't abide for a 5k max arena for so long and he'd allow them to relocate when he "exhausted" opportunities to resolve the issue he created.

SharkInABoloTie

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2016
The Heart of Darkness
Given Muerelo's huge payday (likely netting 500M+ after expenses), I am very curious how genuine his intentions ever were. He was the one who got them kicked out of their previous arena, and every attempt since then has been moonshots. If he realized that the NHL wouldn't abide for a 5k max arena for so long and he'd allow them to relocate when he "exhausted" opportunities to resolve the issue he created.
He can't be given another franchise. Get him out the door and tell him he can't come back

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He can't be given another franchise. Get him out the door and tell him he can't come back

Friedman also speculating that he gets right of first refusal on a new team in AZ, though the league won't be going back without a rink and it seems really unlikely that he would be able to build one.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Also, new ownership will likely try to make a splash, given the strong prospect pool and all the draft picks Arizona has to make moves possible. They may also be bidding on UFA. I'm sure the usual barstool squatting WNY sports fans will handle that well.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Whose punishment for tanking was worse? Arizona or Buffalo? They lost their team. We had to keep ours. It’s definitely close.

Kevbeau

Sponsor
Jul 11, 2006
I’ve worked for 4 F100 companies in my career. Did a 5ish year stint as an off ice official when Atlanta had the thrashers. My exposure to the nhl was basically wtf the entire time. Don’t for a second think just because they’re a professional sports league that they have things dialed in.

Reactions: oldgoalie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad