OT: Around the NHL - Good hocket is good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Timo Meir with his 12th goal, tying him with Ovechkin and Pastrnak.

I always smile when I see his full name. Reminds me of....

Timomeir!
hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: KIRK and BHD

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
We are now tied for second to last in the Metro...good times...

But at least we’re on our way to a third round pick for Sheary...

Devils have a game in hand. If they win, we're tied for last (2nd to last based on wins).

That said, we have games in hand, but your point is taken.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Don’t worry Jake - Crosby - Kessel will put up 30 points in 7 games to get us back in second.

1. That won't be a line.

2. I'm beginning to doubt that Jake is a PPG player . . . even with Sid.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
What, exactly, is wrong with the system compared to other good teams?

For the most part, in the games where the team 'never shows up' it is:

There is no cohesive play. Why? I dunno. The defense play hot potato. NO ONE pays attention or puts their head on a swivel. The forwards aren't open. No one finishes. Goaltending is out to lunch (....yes...Desmithers, I know he has been okay). The don't know what to do in the offensive zone, where to position in the NZ, or who to cover in the DZ.

It is like, they manage to convince 18 skaters that they no longer understand the basics of hockey.

It is f***ing amazing. Playing as if they are pee-wee levels of skill wearing NHL uniforms.

It is a level of ineptitude that even the shittiest of other teams never show.

Every once in awhile ALL of that is reversed and they stomp on a team. Why??

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
For the most part, in the games where the team 'never shows up' it is:

There is no cohesive play. Why? I dunno. The defense play hot potato. NO ONE pays attention or puts their head on a swivel. The forwards aren't open. No one finishes. Goaltending is out to lunch (....yes...Desmithers, I know he has been okay). The don't know what to do in the offensive zone, where to position in the NZ, or who to cover in the DZ.

It is like, they manage to convince 18 skaters that they no longer understand the basics of hockey.

It is ****ing amazing. Playing as if they are pee-wee levels of skill wearing NHL uniforms.

It is a level of ineptitude that even the ****tiest of other teams never show.

Every once in awhile ALL of that is reversed and they stomp on a team. Why??

What you described is an aggressive system and a stupid roster. Particularly stupid back end.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What you described is an aggressive system and a stupid roster. Particularly stupid back end.
It's been shown to work before with lesser players. So really, it's a matter of the coaching staff not really getting the team to buy into it and a bunch of players that are seeing teams counter what they are doing and getting frustrated and adjusting on the fly to some how get past it.

This team used to carry the puck up the ice.
They used to work as a 5 man unit.
They played with speed and tempo.
They poured an overwhelming shots on net that was never going to be sustainable.

Now they force passes into the neutral zone or up the boards and dump while players are already hanging back and never going to be the first in on a forecheck.
Now they don't function as a 5 man unit because teams know how to break through their game.
Now they don't support each other in the defensive zone and the offensive zone.

We've had moments of brilliance against teams that just were on their own down swing. But teams that were hungry and wanted to show up, made us look like chumps.

The caps game was one where the team out worked the caps and lost because of a ref that just got too excited and threw Geno out for literally having Oshie skate into him.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Yes. I agree. It was an apt description of the 2017 and 2018 (so far) Pittsburgh Penguins.

We won the cups with 2 different styles.

The first would be very very difficult to recreate because of a few things speed, hunger, chemistry. That was the best cup run I’ve witnessed.

The second we don’t want to do. It was collapsing hard around the net, letting them have possession and go for the turn over when they shoot. It also relied heavily on the stars to bring all the offense. Hard for the bottom 6 to play so hard defensively and get up the other end quickly.

There is probably a good middle ground between these 2. We got some bigger guys to not get hemmed in our zone but unfortunately Sheahan, Rust, Murray and Maatta’s play (Cullen to a lesser extent) plus Brassard/Schultz injury are taking too much of a toll.

Couple that with some of the better players taking “nights” off and it’s a real **** sandwich.

Maybe a change of dynamic in the bottom 6 is what we need. One trade and 1 or 2 guys from WBS to bring some enthusiasm.

It’s a long season but Sully has to try to get that hunger back in them. If he can’t you can’t fire all the players so that leaves one alternative. We are a ways from that though.

Reactions: EightyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad