OT: Around the NHL - GAME 7s! LET'S GO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
That 5 minute major call was an absolute joke. Especially in a game 7 under 10 minutes remaining. Double minor at most, but you can't just ruin a game with unlimited power-play goals possible in a 3-0 score game 7 under 10 minutes left. That call was absolutely ****ed.

That said, I'm with the majority on the goals part. You can't allow 4 goals on a 5 minute major. The first 3 were near perfect setups and snipes / deflections that were near unstoppable. The 4th goal was all MAF's fault. He played hard short side and he even looked behind himself to cheat hard short side. That left 2 feet of open net and he didn't miss.
The time and situation should be irrelevant to the call. I don't care if it's OT in game 7 of the finals, if the ref thinks it's a major they should call a major. Now, I think they got this one wrong. But the idea that the refs should consider the game situation when making calls is the worst thing about NHL reffing.

That said, I wouldn't be against reviewing major penalties in general.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The time and situation should be irrelevant to the call. I don't care if it's OT in game 7 of the finals, if the ref thinks it's a major they should call a major. Now, I think they got this one wrong. But the idea that the refs should consider the game situation when making calls is the worst thing about NHL reffing.

That said, I wouldn't be against reviewing major penalties in general.
Reffing the score is hurting the game and it just showed us reffing the score at it's ugliest moment.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Anyone really excited for game 7 tonight?

Ohhhhhhhh PLEASE..... pull this off Carolina. PUHHH LEAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZEEEEEEE!!!

ADD:

3-1 Carolina Hurricanes.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Reffing the score is hurting the game and it just showed us reffing the score at it's ugliest moment.
but reffing the time is dumb too. If the ref thought it was a major, calling a major is the right decision. As much as refs definitely ref the score, I don't think any ref will ever call something a major because of the score. I think they will NOT call things a major because of the score, but I think they actively avoid calling majors.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
If the Capitals lose this one I can enjoy the remainder of the play-offs through and through without rooting down any team. Well no. I do want Boston out and I do want Columbus to prevail over whichever team they played, but I did want to see a Trotz Reirden (sp) match-up, BUT I didn't want to Capitals to get to R3.

Bruins must fall. Capitals and Bruins must fall.

Reactions: TNT87

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
but reffing the time is dumb too. If the ref thought it was a major, calling a major is the right decision. As much as refs definitely ref the score, I don't think any ref will ever call something a major because of the score. I think they will NOT call things a major because of the score, but I think they actively avoid calling majors.
Do you think a major was the right call last night?

Maybe a double minor, roughing / cross-checking, but a major? ehhhhhhhhhhhhh don't know about that one. I'd have to watch it more to really make a serious decision on it, but I saw it once and a replay quick. Didn't seem like a major.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Do you think a major was the right call last night?

Maybe a double minor, roughing / cross-checking, but a major? ehhhhhhhhhhhhh don't know about that one. I'd have to watch it more to really make a serious decision on it, but I saw it once and a replay quick. Didn't seem like a major.
I do not. I think it was a bad call. But it has nothing to do with the time left or the score of the game. That's all I'm saying. I want the refs to call every penalty they see regardless of the time or the score. They will get things wrong and they will miss things, but they should never make a conscious decision about whether or not they should make a call that they believe is the right call.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
My main concern about officiating is how a group of officials can make a call like that by guessing what they think might have happened. None of them saw a cross check to the head, it's not even close enough to appear like that's what happened. This wasn't a case of a player getting hit with his own teammates stick and the ref calling a high sticking penalty or something. It wasn't a split reaction call either. They huddled together and still made a call without having seen what happened.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
FWIW the furthest I’d go is double minor. But the refs belatedly saw an injury and that’s why they called anything IMO.

If Pavs spins off that cross check (which happens a dozen times a game) and skates away, I doubt there’s any call at all.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Maybe they should start calling playoff games the same as the regular season. I’ve never understood that.

It's beyond ridiculous. And all in the name of "letting them play".

Yes, hooking, holding, roughing, clutching, and grabbing certainly sounds like something that allows all the skilled guys to play to the best of their abilities for sure.

They should change the slogan to "let them not play".

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Shouldn’t have even been a penalty. If you want to get ticky tacky it’s a 2 min crosscheck at most and that same shit happens on most faceoffs.

It was a blown call plain and simple.

Even the Vegas players said the refs told them they crosschecked him in the face.

Absolute garbage.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Shouldn’t have even been a penalty. If you want to get ticky tacky it’s a 2 min crosscheck at most and that same **** happens on most faceoffs.

It was a blown call plain and simple.

Even the Vegas players said the refs told them they crosschecked him in the face.

Absolute garbage.
it should definitely be a penalty. But it should be a penalty every time, not 1 out of 20 times.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
it should definitely be a penalty. But it should be a penalty every time, not 1 out of 20 times.

What’s the penalty?

Again that’s the other problem. Consistency. If it were a 1-1 game, do they make that call? The refs are like a soap opera. They make calls based on the game and how it’s going.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
What’s the penalty?

Again that’s the other problem. Consistency. If it were a 1-1 game, do they make that call? The refs are like a soap opera. They make calls based on the game and how it’s going.
It's clearly a cross check on a guy who doesn't have the puck. So take your pick with cross checking or interference. That's an easy 2 minute call. Shouldn't be more though.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Well terrible start for Canes, Caps just owned them,and they left Mrazek out to dry...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad