OT: Around the NHL: Free Agency then it's vacation time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Can't help but laugh at people saying how great McDavid is for taking a million off the reported amount. Obviously a bit of PR work in the media and also, is it really that great? Big contract. But he'll miss a year in the lockout.

That lamest part of it was this huge banner headline TSN and others had in advance of the announcement. "Oilers To Issue Major Announcement at 3pm EST", as if they're moving the ****ing team or trading McDavid instead of paying him a nice contract. Just pure PR BS.

You don't need to create a "stop the presses" moment for that. I laughed when I verified it was just to confirm a signing we already knew was happenign with only minor changes from what we knew. But anyway good for McJesus. He deserves every penny.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
He'll be cut loose sooner rather than later IMO. He's going to deteriorate rapdily at some point, the way he's played his whole career.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Nice for McDavid, but big contracts is one of the reason the Pens didn't win a Cup after booth Crosby and Malkin second contracts kicked in (in 2009 Geno were still on ELC).
Now we can easily afford Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang, Schultz, Hornqvist, Murray and dream of Duchene, but in the first years of those big contracts we couldn't afford to pay good players to surround them.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Some $ stuff that i thought i'd share with y'all:

When I first reported on Twitter on June 23 the players haven't been paid yet for their participation in the World Cup of Hockey or the All-Star Game, it created a bit of a stir. It sounded like the NHL wanted that kept under wraps. But this matter has caused a lot of animosity within the NHLPA, as it has now been well documented.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/columnists/pagnotta/dp170703.html

They may have been paid since but still, kinda nutty.

And for a more fun read. Playoff Bonuses.
PIT raked in 4.325 Million USD.

Players get an equal share of their pool (normally 25 contracts) and those shares can be adjusted for actual number of players, injured and scratched players. Players allocate funding to coaching staff and other operational staff as well on a per team basis.

https://fantasyhockey2018.com/2017/07/04/nhl-playoff-bonuses-released/

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Can't help but laugh at people saying how great McDavid is for taking a million off the reported amount. Obviously a bit of PR work in the media and also, is it really that great? Big contract. But he'll miss a year in the lockout.

I think it's funny that the same fans who were trashing Crosby and saying he didn't really take a discount because it was such a huge piece of the cap last week when they thought McD was going to take $13.5M are now falling all over themselves to canonize St. Connor for his generosity. Funny how quickly the tune changes when it's your player doing it. :laugh:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Nice for McDavid, but big contracts is one of the reason the Pens didn't win a Cup after booth Crosby and Malkin second contracts kicked in (in 2009 Geno were still on ELC).
Now we can easily afford Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang, Schultz, Hornqvist, Murray and dream of Duchene, but in the first years of those big contracts we couldn't afford to pay good players to surround them.

May have been part of the reason , but it was still due to bylsma(system sucked, not playing young guys, ruining fleury) and injuries. A lot of those guys we brought in over the years would have probably done well under Sullivan.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Am I the only one that thinks that Dallas could melt down into one big hot mess? What a pile of random moving parts, coach included.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Am I the only one that thinks that Dallas could melt down into one big hot mess? What a pile of random moving parts, coach included.

They could. I think they made some good moves, coaching aside, but you never know how a team will mesh and there will be high expectations with those acquisitions.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

I love most of the roster, but abhor their coach. It'll make for an interesting combo, if nothing else.

I almost said entertaining, but we all know Hitchcock will make damn sure that all of those immensely talented players on that team will have the joy of life sucked out of them and congealed into an inedible paste for his snacking pleasure.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I love most of the roster, but abhor their coach. It'll make for an interesting combo, if nothing else.

I almost said entertaining, but we all know Hitchcock will make damn sure that all of those immensely talented players on that team will have the joy of life sucked out of them and congealed into an inedible paste for his snacking pleasure.

Nobody can suck the fun out of hockey quite like Hitch. He's also the one who started all of the garbage about Sid being a whiner & diver after he had his teeth knocked out by Hatcher, so needless to say I wish him nothing but failure. Dallas seems like they'd otherwise be a fun team to watch, so just another reason to loathe him.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Nobody can suck the fun out of hockey quite like Hitch. He's also the one who started all of the garbage about Sid being a whiner & diver after he had his teeth knocked out by Hatcher, so needless to say I wish him nothing but failure. Dallas seems like they'd otherwise be a fun team to watch, so just another reason to loathe him.

Hitch really embraced all the garbage crap when he was with the Flyers. He talked big about sending people after Havlat after (and hell, even leading up to) the big Flyers/Senators brawl game, and then never followed through.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA

I enjoy watching that fat slob continue to fail as a head coach.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

PIT.png

As is tradition, the Cup champs get worse. That’s the way it goes in a hard-cap league, but this feels a bit different than the usual order of business. The players Pittsburgh lost were expected, it’s the players they added that are a bit puzzling.

The big gaffe was adding Ryan Reaves at the expense of a first rounder, a price even Reaves couldn’t believe. The NHL is a confusing place where a bonafide top six talent like Marcus Johansson goes for a second and third, but a fourth liner – who’s probably below replacement level – goes for a first. Over the last three years, Reaves’s average Game Score is 0.07, which is better than just six other forwards who’ve played all three years. The reasoning was even more curious as the team that just won two Cups without any muscle apparently got pushed around too much? Most teams only dream that they could be pushed around into two straight Cups.

Then there’s the Marc-Andre Fleury replacement, Antti Niemi, who’s been one of the worst goalies in the league for the last two seasons. In that time he’s sporting a .900 SP, better than only one goalie, Jonas Hiller, who isn’t even in the league anymore. Give Niemi 20 games next year and he likely costs Pittsburgh about one point in the standings.

The reigning Cup champs are not exempt from criticism when their moves are questionable, but the thing is, none of this really matters. When healthy, no other team is even close to Pittsburgh’s level, even after a terrible off-season. That’s especially true with the great demise of the only team that could really challenge them...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...better-and-worse-during-the-off-season-so-far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad