Around the NHL - Episode XLVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He played it perfectly. You’re not going to trade for superstars while you’re in last place and Connor mcdavid is in the sights.
Isn't this what people have been telling you? He tanked till he got Eichel and then tried to improve?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Isn't this what people have been telling you? He tanked till he got Eichel and then tried to improve?
He didn’t “tank” he followed the plan. The team he inherited was TERRIBLE and he improved it a ton from the beginning. Look at the goals for against difference and report back.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He didn’t “tank” he followed the plan. The team he inherited was TERRIBLE and he improved it a ton from the beginning. Look at the goals for against difference and report back.
2014-15's (-113) is their worst goal differential in the Sabres 50 year history by a significant margin, because they were actively tanking.

Of course they improve after that, they're no longer actively tanking

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The plan was to tank... Thats the point,

2013-14: -93 goal diff
2014-15 (tank year): -116 goal diff

Draft Eichel

2015-16: -16 goal diff

You were saying?

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009

Draft Eichel

You were saying?
I’m saying they were tanking and all trades were downgrades.

Edit: ;)

Last edited:

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
I left out the sarcasm.

I’m saying the use of the word “tank” is a little extreme.
Did he try to win the Stanley cup in year 1 or 2?
He’s pretty smart so probably realized that wasn’t realistic so came up with another plan.
To gradually improve, draft well, develop and by year 5 compete in the playoffs.

What did he do different from any other last place team gm with no hope of playoffs?
We’ve established that the majority of his trades were improvements from the start.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009

Draft Eichel

You were saying?
Ha. I might have mixed up the years there so bad point by me and potential fatal blow :) (it just shows that the team improved a ton under him but yes that was the following year).

But no really. If you’re going to accuse the gm of tanking then you have to be able to point to specific moves that support the argument.
Originally here it was that he dressed terrible goaltenders. I listed the goaltenders he brought in all well above .900 on terrible buffalo teams. So that’s bs.
Linked to his transaction history all good to very good.

What else did he do specifically that shows he was “tanking”?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Which goaltender are you referring to?
Tim Murray dealing Enroth for Lindberg to help the tank. Lindberg was garbage at the time of the trade, but he actually did okay statistically down the stretch for Buffalo. Pretty clear tank move.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ha. I might have mixed up the years there so bad point by me and potential fatal blow :) (it just shows that the team improved a ton under him but yes that was the following year).

But no really. If you’re going to accuse the gm of tanking then you have to be able to point to specific moves that support the argument.
Originally here it was that he dressed terrible goaltenders. I listed the goaltenders he brought in all well above .900 on terrible buffalo teams. So that’s bs.
Linked to his transaction history all good to very good.

What else did he do specifically that shows he was “tanking”?
Take a look at the Matt Hackett quote @BondraTime posted.

He also let their #1 D Ehrhoff walk leading into the year with no replacement unless i guess you count Gorges, trading their starter in Enroth for Lindback certainly didn't look like a positive at the time, which is evident when Dallas gave up the pick in the transaction.

He didn't need to do much to tank, inaction probably was enough,

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Tim Murray dealing Enroth for Lindberg to help the tank. Lindberg was garbage at the time of the trade, but he actually did okay statistically down the stretch for Buffalo. Pretty clear tank move.

Take a look at the Matt Hackett quote @BondraTime posted.

He also let their #1 D Ehrhoff walk leading into the year with no replacement unless i guess you count Gorges, trading their starter in Enroth for Lindback certainly didn't look like a positive at the time, which is evident when Dallas gave up the pick in the transaction.

He didn't need to do much to tank, inaction probably was enough,
enroth played 35 more games after he was traded and was out of the league. He wasn’t good. Lindback was better you admit. Bad argument.

Erhoff played 97 more games then out of the league. Really bad argument.

So now not doing enough in someone’s opinion is “tanking”?

What are matt hacket’s (never played in the nhl after that year) examples of tanking transactions?

That’s great that you guys are realizing now that he wasn’t actively “tanking”, it’s just something people like to say and the team just sucked and he was there to improve it. And he did. The next year the goal differential was improved by 100!!!
That last part is the argument against him being a bad manager.

Thank god we don’t have to discuss Tim Murray anymore :)

Last edited:

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Doesn't say, being framed as staff, and seems that way listening to the segment.

Maybe he was talking about a player talking to him before he left camp, doesn't seem like something another non NHLer prospect would say though. Only guys that were at the camp were undrafted invites and guys that hadn't made the NHL yet. Biggest name was probably Cowen.

Whilst I totally get this...

I seem to remember there being a lot of criticism of Stone when drafted albeit this being linked to his skating and how he’d never make the NHL without a serious improvement.

He obviously did the playoffs whenever it was and made everyone eat crow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad