Around the NHL - Episode XLVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
"We offered them competitive offers"

200.gif
I don't know why, but I could watch this gif for the rest of my natural life and die a happy man

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
Or...

Scrap the lottery because it’s ridiculous.

31st drafts 1st
30th drafts 2nd
29th drafts 3rd

Etc

I agree. In this day and age where every form of entertainment is competing for dollars, icing an uncompetitive team cannot be the goal of a successful business. To many fickle fans that will just move on and spend dollars elsewhere.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
How many times can the NHL screw up the draft especially when Ottawa has been in line to draft a high pick? A team should not be allowed to move up ten spots, that's too much, it should be five spots at the most. Any team in the tenth spot is probably not that bad a team & could be only a couple players away from contending for a playoff spot, winning the lottery would further advance their cause significantly, like the Rangers last draft.

Reactions: otown

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
How many times can the NHL screw up the draft especially when Ottawa has been in line to draft a high pick? A team should not be allowed to move up ten spots, that's too much, it should be five spots at the most. Any team in the tenth spot is probably not that bad a team & could be only a couple players away from contending for a playoff spot, winning the lottery would further advance their cause significantly, like the Rangers last draft.

Problem is if you limit it to moving up 5, the odds of the last place team picking first skyrocket because anyone from 7 to 15 winning is essentially added to the odds of last place winning.

Maybe a solution would be bottom 5 get fully randomized (equal odds at all top picks or weighted idk) this way the incentive to tank is reduced and 6 to 15 have their own lottery where a team can move up to 6th?

Idk there is no one perfect solution, somebody will always have a complaint.

Reactions: Yak

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Or...

31st drafts 1st
30th drafts 2nd
29th drafts 3rd

Etc

Tanking would be more prevalent under this system, thus the lottery.
Although tanking can still exist with the lottery. Case in point, the Leafs mastered the tank when they got Owen Matthews!
At least with the lottery there is still a chance that tanking won't be rewarded.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
On todays episode of: lets torture ourselves and check at how good Mark Stone still is.

He’s still under rated here and everywhere. One of the very best players.

Sokolov. No pressure buddy.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
New split TV deal which means more money for Melnyk on top of that expansion fee...
So the espn deal is thought to be worth 2-2.25 billion,

Thats roughly 9-10 mil a year, then they have the other half of the split to sell, my guess is it will go for a bit less and we can expect around 16-18 mil combined from the US national deals. That's a significant jump from the approx 6 mil we currently get from NBC.

All told I'd guess we are going from about 46 mil USD in broadcast rights to maybe 56-58.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
So the espn deal is thought to be worth 2-2.25 billion,

Thats roughly 9-10 mil a year, then they have the other half of the split to sell, my guess is it will go for a bit less and we can expect around 16-18 mil combined from the US national deals. That's a significant jump from the approx 6 mil we currently get from NBC.

All told I'd guess we are going from about 46 mil USD in broadcast rights to maybe 56-58.
This really helps revenue starved teams like ours.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Or...

31st drafts 1st
30th drafts 2nd
29th drafts 3rd

Etc

Way too much worrying about tanking.

I do think there is value in somehow capping how many times a team can get first overall in a row: the Oilers ruined too many good players, imagine if Hall/RNH and, to a lesser extent, McDavid didn't end up there. Outside of a buffoon like Tim Murray, no one wants to actually, actively tank. The Oilers just sucked, they didn't tank.

In fact Tim Murray has made a very strong case as to why actively tanking leads to a lot of problems. I am convinced one of the reasons that franchise is going nowhere was how brazen the tanking for McDavid was.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Way too much worrying about tanking.

I do think there is value in somehow capping how many times a team can get first overall in a row: the Oilers ruined too many good players, imagine if Hall/RNH and, to a lesser extent, McDavid didn't end up there. Outside of a buffoon like Tim Murray, no one wants to actually, actively tank. The Oilers just sucked, they didn't tank.

In fact Tim Murray has made a very strong case as to why actively tanking leads to a lot of problems. I am convinced one of the reasons that franchise is going nowhere was how brazen the tanking for McDavid was.
Toronto perfected the tank. One of my favourite hypocrites of all time is Dave Hodge. During the Sabres tank year he would spend some time every week on “The Reporters” show saying how disgusted he was with Buffalo tanking and the NHL needs to change the rules. During the Shannyplan where Toronto didn’t even hide the fact they were tanking, he praised Leaf manage to for tanking.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Strange to hear Stone say that a member of the Sens organization told him he was a bad player and they couldn’t believe they wasted a pick on him at his first development camp. Pretty disrespectful and egregious, hopefully that person isn’t with the team anymore for a few reasons.

Last edited:

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
Strange to hear Stone say that a member of the Sens organization told him he was a bad player and they couldn’t believe they wasted a pick on him at their first development camp. Pretty disrespectful and egregious, hopefully that person isn’t with the team anymore for a few reasons.

Where did he say this?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
This probably doesnt belong in this thread, and it was from at least 8 years ago (lol)...so maybe old news? :sarcasm:

But this could be the funniest thing that Ive ever heard in hockey related pop culture before. And if anyone is curious to hear Bill Burr just utterly murder the Habs with with words that cut like a rusty old knife - then giv'er a listen bud(s).

The whole thing is wonderful but I marked the best part for all ya's - The best description of most Habs fans that Ive ever heard.

Im personally dying right now. And had to share with people who would "get it"). Always been a Bill Burr fan and never heard this before....so here we are!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad