Around the NHL - Episode XLVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Strange to hear Stone say that a member of the Sens organization told him he was a bad player and they couldn’t believe they wasted a pick on him at his first development camp. Pretty disrespectful and egregious, hopefully that person isn’t with the team anymore for a few reasons.
Jeez that's brutal. I agree, hope whoever said that is gone.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Strange to hear Stone say that a member of the Sens organization told him he was a bad player and they couldn’t believe they wasted a pick on him at his first development camp. Pretty disrespectful and egregious, hopefully that person isn’t with the team anymore for a few reasons.

Was it staff or a player?

A lot of people here are saying it's "the organization" --> was there any further detail?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Was it staff or a player?

A lot of people here are saying it's "the organization" --> was there any further detail?
Doesn't say, being framed as staff, and seems that way listening to the segment.

Maybe he was talking about a player talking to him before he left camp, doesn't seem like something another non NHLer prospect would say though. Only guys that were at the camp were undrafted invites and guys that hadn't made the NHL yet. Biggest name was probably Cowen.

Reactions: Beville

Ursamajor25

Aug 1, 2020
Way too much worrying about tanking.

I do think there is value in somehow capping how many times a team can get first overall in a row: the Oilers ruined too many good players, imagine if Hall/RNH and, to a lesser extent, McDavid didn't end up there. Outside of a buffoon like Tim Murray, no one wants to actually, actively tank. The Oilers just sucked, they didn't tank.

In fact Tim Murray has made a very strong case as to why actively tanking leads to a lot of problems. I am convinced one of the reasons that franchise is going nowhere was how brazen the tanking for McDavid was.

I think most of the Oilers players have played to their potential, the organization failed to build a good team around them but being drafted somewhere else doesn't mean they would be thriving there. The league for the past decade has been largely dominated by just a few teams with good organizations, who would not have drafted these players to begin with. Eichel, MacKinnon and others I guess could all be considered wasted players because the ended up on bad teams. How many good players has Colorado gone through and players actually want to play there. Yet nobody seems to think Colorado is wasting Mackinnon's prime years.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Doesn't say, being framed as staff, and seems that way listening to the segment.

Maybe he was talking about a player talking to him before he left camp, doesn't seem like something another non NHLer prospect would say though. Only guys that were at the camp were undrafted invites and guys that hadn't made the NHL yet. Biggest name was probably Cowen.

Yeah, I didn’t realise the clip was right there. Duh!

Sounds like staff, but can’t see someone say that to a kid on the way out... at any level.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.

What the f***?

tenor.gif

Reactions: BloodRedArmy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Would that have been in 2010? Who would say something like that.. Randy Lee was running the dev camp back then ... so no way of knowing I guess

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Way too much worrying about tanking.

I do think there is value in somehow capping how many times a team can get first overall in a row: the Oilers ruined too many good players, imagine if Hall/RNH and, to a lesser extent, McDavid didn't end up there. Outside of a buffoon like Tim Murray, no one wants to actually, actively tank. The Oilers just sucked, they didn't tank.

In fact Tim Murray has made a very strong case as to why actively tanking leads to a lot of problems. I am convinced one of the reasons that franchise is going nowhere was how brazen the tanking for McDavid was.
Explain why you think Tim Murray was actively tanking. Just a few points would be good.

He actually had them on a good path. They’re fcked now. Should have let him carry out his plan. Added oreilly Kane lehner drafted eichel olofsson etc etc
That’s four top 6 forwards and a #1 goalie to start.

I’ll help you out. Which trades do you have an issue with? They’re about a thousand times better than our trades on the whole.
History of hockey trades by general manager Tim Murray - NHL Trade Tracker

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Explain why you think Tim Murray was actively tanking. Just a few points would be good.
He actually had them on a good path. They’re fcked now. Should have let him carry out his plan. Added oreilly Kane lehner drafted eichel olofsson etc etc
That’s four top 6 forwards and a starting goalie to start.

Tim Murray coming here as GM is a worry of mine. Can see Melnyck going to his Murray happy place. Would be very bad

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Tim Murray coming here as GM is a worry of mine. Can see Melnyck going to his Murray happy place. Would be very bad
That’s not happening. Tim Murray would never take any of melnyks shit. And that’s why he should have stayed. And that’s why he didn’t stay.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
That’s not happening. Tim Murray would never take any of melnyks shit. And that’s why he should have stayed. And that’s why he didn’t stay.

he’s unemployed. He’d happily take a GM position here. I don’t see Tim Murray as some ethical Bernie Sanders type who puts his career ahead of his feelings - they actually seem Like a match made in Sens hell

Reactions: Yak

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That’s four top 6 forwards and a starting goalie to start.

I’ll help you out. Which trades do you have an issue with? They’re about a thousand times better than our trades on the whole.
History of hockey trades by general manager Tim Murray - NHL Trade Tracker

All his good trades were after they tanked though. He basically didn't do much of anything until after they got Eichel. Traded off Miller (not saying he could have kept miller) from a team that was already bad and waited till after drafting Eichel to try and replace him. Didn't really do anything to improve early on knowing that Eichel or McDavid were on the line.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Draft proposal: teams can't have 2 consecutive lottery wins.

The could really suck for a bottom dweller. Suck in 2012 and get Yak...then boxed out of getting MacKinnon in 2013.

That's the problem with trying to "tank proof" the draft. Each year is so different.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
All his good trades were after they tanked though. He basically didn't do much of anything until after they got Eichel. Traded off Miller (not saying he could have kept miller) from a team that was already bad and waited till after drafting Eichel to try and replace him. Didn't really do anything to improve early on knowing that Eichel or McDavid were on the line.
Best way to tank is to just ice a terrible goaltender.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Not true.
As you say couldn’t keep miller.
Added halak, neuvirth, lindback
Then upgraded to chad Johnson and lehner.
All goaltenders were improvements and had potential at the time acquired.
Look at their numbers.

So I’m calling BS on you.
People love piling on. Most in this case don’t know what the hell theyre talking about though. Nothing to back it up. Coach Nolan accused them of tanking. Unbiased opinion there? He was a problem.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not true.
Look at their numbers.

One of their actual goalies, Matt Hackett, says they were actually tanking that year

96rpm69enwd61.jpg

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not true.
Look at their numbers.

Halak is not an improvement over Miller not that he ever played for Buffalo... You realize that, right? Halak was traded to Washington 7 days after being acquired and Johnson and Lehner came after he tanked for Eichel. Adding backups with potential like lindback and Neuvirth is laughable evidence that he wasn't tanking.

So who are you calling BS on again?

Reactions: BondraTime

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Lindback .924
Neuvirth .918
Johnson .920, .891
Lehner .924, .920, 908

Bad goaltending??

Yeah ok. On a terrible team too. We can dream of getting that goaltending. Who’s really tanking?
And who’s talking out of their ass here?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Lindback .924
Neuvirth .918
Johnson .920, .891
Lehner .924, .920, 908

Bad goaltending??

Yeah ok. On a terrible team too. We can dream of getting that goaltending. Who’s really tanking?
That's why they began dressing Hackett in March

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lindback .924
Neuvirth .918
Johnson .920, .891
Lehner .924, .920, 908

Bad goaltending??

Jesus man...

Lehner and Johnson aren't helping you, they were after the year he actively tanked.

You also notably left out their starter Enroth at .903.

Honestly man...

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Jesus man...

Lehner and Johnson aren't helping you, they were after the year he actively tanked.

You also notably left out their starter Enroth at .903.

Honestly man...
Enroth at .903 is good for that team. You realize they were a total mess right and T Murray was brought in to fix it over a five year plan.

He played it perfectly. You’re not going to trade for superstars while you’re in last place and Connor mcdavid is in the sights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad