Around the NHL - Episode XLVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
It's a real shame it took the Sens 10 games to figure out how they wanted to play, because the standings could look a lot different. Poor Montreal and Calgary won't be getting the Sens bump like Vancouver did. Ottawa could be in a small way responsible for Travis Green's undoing since it was Ottawa that bloated the Canucks standing at the beginning of the year. Of course I am reaching on that one.
Calgary, Montreal and Vancouver are in full blown Hysteria mode...Get on their boards.
All 3 fan bases were uneasy at the start, all 3 had hot starts and that calmed the waters down a tad..Now that they are back on script...hysteria. Vancouver's anger is at Benning. In Calgary it is an even mix of the GM and coach. Montreal is mixed, some love Bergevin, others want him out.

you are right. Ottawa's west coast trip helped Vancouver. They banked 3 wins. BUT THAT ACTUALLY saved Green. Imagine if 2 less wins..they would be 7 and the Sens 6 with a 3-4 point lead. Green would have been out before Julien. And the Sens would be breathing down Calgary's neck and Ward would be gone this morning. Ottawa bought Green enough time to get to mid season. Vancouver may opt to wait until season's end to make moves.

Unreal to think that Calgary and Vancouver (and Montreal) are this bad.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Some advanced stats for Bobby Ryan, among the 17 Wings forwards

TOI/GP : 6th
CF/60 : 2nd
CA/60 : 4th
CF% : 3rd
SF/60 : 4th
SA/60 : 4th
SF% : 3rd
GF/60 : 5th
GA/60 : 12th
GF% : 8th
SCF/60 : 2nd
SCA/60 : 3rd
SCF% : 2nd
HDCF/60 : 5th
HDCA/60 : 4th
HDCF% : 3rd

What a smart signing by Yzerman for 1 M$, Ryan's buyout cost for Ottawa is almost the double per season for 4 years. As I said before the season, he only had 2 years left, was finally healthy mentally and physically, could have been a good veteran presence. Instead we chose to sign Dadonov at 5.0 AAV but 1 additional year (hopefully that year won't hurt). Wish we could have kept Duclair as well but hard to fault Dorion for that as Duclair didn't have an agent and probably had unrealistic demands. Some comparisons at ES for Dadonov and Ryan so far this season

TOI/GP : 13:00 vs 13:01
CF/60 : 62.92 vs 55.31
CA/60 : 54.32 vs 51.58
SF/60 : 33.14 vs 30.51
SA/60 : 28.52 vs 30.07
GF/60 : 2.52 vs 3.07
GA/60 : 3.15 vs 3.95
SCF/60 : 29.99 vs 27.66
SCA/60 : 29.78 vs 20.41
HDCF/60 : 11.75 vs 8.78
HDCA/60 : 9.86 vs 7.24

At least Dadonov's advanced stats are good so there's a chance production will come. Nothing against White and Paul but he would need to play with more skilled players

It's a real shame it took the Sens 10 games to figure out how they wanted to play, because the standings could look a lot different. Poor Montreal and Calgary won't be getting the Sens bump like Vancouver did. Ottawa could be in a small way responsible for Travis Green's undoing since it was Ottawa that bloated the Canucks standing at the beginning of the year. Of course I am reaching on that one.

No you're not. Vancouver is 5-14-2, 52 GF 82 GA (-30) if you take out the 3 games vs Ottawa

Ottawa without games vs Vancouver is 7-11-1, 55 GF 69 GA (-14)

Didn't expect Vancouver to be this bad, not many did probably... Winnipeg and Toronto are comfortably the best 2 Canadian teams. Once the Sens are eliminated I'm going to cheer hard for the Jets

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
No you're not. Vancouver is 5-14-2, 52 GF 82 GA (-30) if you take out the 3 games vs Ottawa

Ottawa without games vs Vancouver is 7-11-1, 55 GF 69 GA (-14)

Didn't expect Vancouver to be this bad, not many did probably... Winnipeg and Toronto are comfortably the best 2 Canadian teams. Once the Sens are eliminated I'm going to cheer hard for the Jets

Vancouver hasn't looked good by any stretch but it's certainly not fair to them or to us to take out their 3 best games and our worst 3 to analyze the situation. They totally dominated us during those 3 games and they earned these wins by playing way better than us. It's like analyzing the Sens by taking out their 3 best games, it would obviously look much worse for us than it actually does and that's for any team actually.

Sucks for Vancouver that they're playing this bad but it doesn't really help an argument to take out their 3 best games.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Vancouver hasn't looked good by any stretch but it's certainly not fair to them or to us to take out their 3 best games and our worst 3 to analyze the situation. They totally dominated us during those 3 games and they earned these wins by playing way better than us. It's like analyzing the Sens by taking out their 3 best games, it would obviously look much worse for us than it actually does and that's for any team actually.

Sucks for Vancouver that they're playing this bad but it doesn't really help an argument to take out their 3 best games.

Obiously that was not really the point of my post, I am showing through these numbers how both teams have fared against the REST of the division. These 3 games was pretty much their peak while it was our lowest point. Taking those 3 games out is not a 100 % analysis OBVIOUSLY, but it shows what it looks like in the rest of the (bigger) sample size.

You have 100% right to NOT take it into consideration. Personally, I found it interesting so maybe maybe there was somebody else who would.

Edit : forgot to mention, it was ALSO in response to Bacon25 post (did you read it?), which alluded to this : "Ottawa could be in a small way responsible for Travis Green's undoing since it was Ottawa that bloated the Canucks standing at the beginning of the year"

Last edited:
Reactions: Boud

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You're right, elite offensive talent is usually from the draft, but chances to acquire established #1 centres or wingers have not been taken advantage of. They haven't had anyone as good as Pacioretty or Plekanec (who isn't exactly a #1c). Drouin may have been a highly drafted pick, but he had never performed at an elite level. Heck acquiring him using your best prospect who happens to be a puck moving defender, after losing your two best puck moving defenders in Subban and Markov shows how poor his vision is. Suzuki was a touted prospect as well and not exactly elite offensively in terms of potential.

As for the Price argument, I'd still stick by my argument mate. Price was signed for a gargantuan amount, an older #1 veteran defender was acquired for a younger #1 defender, in addition to trading away key prospects positionally/talent wise like Sergachev. Bergevin has built his team from the net out and done that rather poorly. Deals like the Toffoli signing were good, but after 9 years in, its just a hamster wheel of moves imo.

Ok so you agree that Elite offensive talent is usually obtained from the draft, either by a high pick or finding a gem like Kucherov, Stone, etc. But once they have that gem, teams aren't looking to trade them! IF they do, they will ask for elite pieces like in Dubois' case, it required Patrik Laine and Jack Roslovic... Could the Habs match that offer? lol not even close... Kotkaniemi and Caufield doesn't do it. It would have been Suzuki, Romanov and a 1st. Habs weren't ready to do something like that.

Toffoli this season has been every bit as good as Pacioretty was for them for years. Tatar has been very good for them too, Pacioretty has been more than replaced, it's not been a problem. And while Plekanec was a great 2-way center, Danault has been providing the exact same thing the last few years.

Not sure why you talk about Drouin, I already made that same point, it might be the ONLY bad trade for Bergevin... And it's not like Drouin is an awful player, he's still a good playmaker capable of 50-60 pts per 82 games.

Getting Suzuki, Tatar and a 2nd for Pacioretty was a killer trade. I hope you agree because that's what pretty much everybody on the hockey planet thinks.

Again, not sure why you feel that you need to counter my Price argument, as... I have basically said the same thing? You have a weird concept of debating ideas lol

When you say "An older #1 veteran defender was acquired for a younger #1 defender", are you talking about Weber vs Subban? You're late by 2-3 years... This was the thought the first two years but now everyone and their dog think the Habs easily got the more beneficial return, kinda confirmed by Nashville "dumping" Subban's contract.

I'm not sure how you can debate that list of trades I provided, these are FACTS, not opinions. It's pretty clear wins each and every time, unless you think guys like Anderson, Petry, Danault, etc are not good hockey players and more a detriment to their team.

Yes you are right, their team results have not been great, but it's certainly not because of Bergevin trades which was your INITIAL point that I needed to refute because it's simple NOT TRUE. So tell me, off that list I provided, which weren't good trades exactly? OUTSIDE of Drouin/Sergachev of course.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Ok so you agree that Elite offensive talent is usually obtained from the draft, either by a high pick or finding a gem like Kucherov, Stone, etc. But once they have that gem, teams aren't looking to trade them! IF they do, they will ask for elite pieces like in Dubois' case, it required Patrik Laine and Jack Roslovic... Could the Habs match that offer? lol not even close... Kotkaniemi and Caufield doesn't do it. It would have been Suzuki, Romanov and a 1st. Habs weren't ready to do something like that.

Toffoli this season has been every bit as good as Pacioretty was for them for years. Tatar has been very good for them too, Pacioretty has been more than replaced, it's not been a problem. And while Plekanec was a great 2-way center, Danault has been providing the exact same thing the last few years.

Not sure why you talk about Drouin, I already made that same point, it might be the ONLY bad trade for Bergevin... And it's not like Drouin is an awful player, he's still a good playmaker capable of 50-60 pts per 82 games.

Getting Suzuki, Tatar and a 2nd for Pacioretty was a killer trade. I hope you agree because that's what pretty much everybody on the hockey planet thinks.

Again, not sure why you feel that you need to counter my Price argument, as... I have basically said the same thing? You have a weird concept of debating ideas lol

When you say "An older #1 veteran defender was acquired for a younger #1 defender", are you talking about Weber vs Subban? You're late by 2-3 years... This was the thought the first two years but now everyone and their dog think the Habs easily got the more beneficial return, kinda confirmed by Nashville "dumping" Subban's contract.

I'm not sure how you can debate that list of trades I provided, these are FACTS, not opinions. It's pretty clear wins each and every time, unless you think guys like Anderson, Petry, Danault, etc are not good hockey players and more a detriment to their team.

Yes you are right, their team results have not been great, but it's certainly not because of Bergevin trades which was your INITIAL point that I needed to refute because it's simple NOT TRUE. So tell me, off that list I provided, which weren't good trades exactly? OUTSIDE of Drouin/Sergachev of course.

My friend, this is one of my first posts on the matter "His ability to acquire talent via trade or drafting is piss poor, his contract negotiating skills are crap and he has zero vision for the team". I've also stated that his trades individually aren't bad, but in totality, they lack vision and are therefore his trading is poor because they don't translate to anything. Bergevin's trading in the larger picture has no vision.

I think we largely agree on everything to be honest, but I'm a bit more hard on MB. Toffoli is the first player they've had since Pacioretty to replicate his scoring and its during this season during a small sample. Danault may have been sound defensively, but does not have the offensive upside of a #1 centre. The Subban trade can be seen as a "win" for MTL since Nashville moved him, but at the same time they got to the finals with him playing a huge role on that team while MTL hasn't really accomplished any deep playoff runs at all. I don't think the trade is as black and white. As for Price...you said it was simplistic, I clarified my position, just exchanging ideas mate.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Some advanced stats for Bobby Ryan, among the 17 Wings forwards

TOI/GP : 6th
CF/60 : 2nd
CA/60 : 4th
CF% : 3rd
SF/60 : 4th
SA/60 : 4th
SF% : 3rd
GF/60 : 5th
GA/60 : 12th
GF% : 8th
SCF/60 : 2nd
SCA/60 : 3rd
SCF% : 2nd
HDCF/60 : 5th
HDCA/60 : 4th
HDCF% : 3rd

What a smart signing by Yzerman for 1 M$, Ryan's buyout cost for Ottawa is almost the double per season for 4 years. As I said before the season, he only had 2 years left, was finally healthy mentally and physically, could have been a good veteran presence. Instead we chose to sign Dadonov at 5.0 AAV but 1 additional year (hopefully that year won't hurt). Wish we could have kept Duclair as well but hard to fault Dorion for that as Duclair didn't have an agent and probably had unrealistic demands. Some comparisons at ES for Dadonov and Ryan so far this season

TOI/GP : 13:00 vs 13:01
CF/60 : 62.92 vs 55.31
CA/60 : 54.32 vs 51.58
SF/60 : 33.14 vs 30.51
SA/60 : 28.52 vs 30.07
GF/60 : 2.52 vs 3.07
GA/60 : 3.15 vs 3.95
SCF/60 : 29.99 vs 27.66
SCA/60 : 29.78 vs 20.41
HDCF/60 : 11.75 vs 8.78
HDCA/60 : 9.86 vs 7.24

At least Dadonov's advanced stats are good so there's a chance production will come. Nothing against White and Paul but he would need to play with more skilled players

Solid post, really wish we kept Ryan. Love his story of overcoming his issues and I feel like he could've been a solid part of the leadership and material performance on the ice.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
What's up with the Bruins? losing 6-1 to the Rangers tonight; lost 7-2 to the Islanders last night; 1st place in the East

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
What a smart signing by Yzerman for 1 M$, Ryan's buyout cost for Ottawa is almost the double per season for 4 years. As I said before the season, he only had 2 years left, was finally healthy mentally and physically, could have been a good veteran presence
You forget that the player has to be motivated to try and play well and just maybe the buyout was the catalyst for Bobby to rededicate himself to hockey. There is no guarantee that if he had stayed on the Sens Bobby would would be playing the same way he is now. All indications were that the Senators made the right decision to move on from him.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Solid post, really wish we kept Ryan. Love his story of overcoming his issues and I feel like he could've been a solid part of the leadership and material performance on the ice.
Bobby scored 4 goals in his first 3 games with the Wings. And 1 goal in his next 18 games. Nice story but he and his $7 million a year contract were not what was needed in Ottawa.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alfie11 and Ed Wood

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
For all the angst on these boards during Mika Zibanejad's great season last year and how the Sens traded away an elite player well look at what's happened to him this year. So far 2 goals and 6 points in 18 games and a major reason why the Rangers have a losing record. He's not this bad but he also is not as good as what he produced last year.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
For all the angst on these boards during Mika Zibanejad's great season last year and how the Sens traded away an elite player well look at what's happened to him this year. So far 2 goals and 6 points in 18 games and a major reason why the Rangers have a losing record. He's not this bad but he also is not as good as what he produced last year.

Apparently he got COVID so that might be a major factor

Reactions: Ed Wood

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
That’s a dumb post. Not saying you’re dumb. But the post you made...it’s dumb. He had covid. He IS that good. And he’d be the best player on our team right now and every year since he left.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

But the rest of the Rangers stink too. Even Lafreniere looks bad and Panarin has been disappointing as well.

Zib likely isn't the player he was last year, but he's better than what he's shown this year.

I think its a coaching issue in NY

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Covid issues. This is happening to many players across many sports.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
But the rest of the Rangers stink too. Even Lafreniere looks bad and Panarin has been disappointing as well.

Zib likely isn't the player he was last year, but he's better than what he's shown this year.

I think its a coaching issue in NY
Laf looks really good.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Does he? Haven’t had a chance to watch the rangers.
He’s playing good positionally, getting chances?
Yeah, he is pretty dynamic as well. Rangers aren’t going to be too upset about the pick. With Panarin out he is/will be getting a bigger role.

Reactions: Icelevel

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yeah, he is pretty dynamic as well. Rangers aren’t going to be too upset about the pick. With Panarin out he is/will be getting a bigger role.
So he might not be a bust. Good to hear. ;)

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Ryan has 1 goal on his last 18 games. How would that look here at $7.5 million?

Reactions: Icelevel and GCK

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Karlsson IR with groin injury. Poor guy. I’m still rooting for him, for what he did for the team and the city in his glory years

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
You are a little all over the place. Melnyk is a douche but I don’t buy Duclair’s race had anything to do with him not being resigned. He was offered a contract and turned it down.

I mean, Brian Burke offered Steve Moore’s brother a contract and said there was no weirdness there between him and the player - GM’s lie all the time.

same with Dzingle being offered $25 million. C’mon - any financials coming from the team or Garrioche have absolutely no validity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad