Around the NHL - Episode XLVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
how many coaches has Bergevin hired/fired now? Seems like quite a few.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
We need beat Calgary two times in a row to see if we can keep the coaches fired streak alive

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Mtl could probably use a guy like Logan brown.
Wouldn’t trade him there though.

A Stanley cup contender can’t have guys like Edmunson and Chiarot playing in their top 4. They have zero top 4 LD, Romonov will probably be one, Guhle might be another, but by the time that will happen Weber will be 37, Petry 35...

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The Knights really lucked out with not getting Karlsson since they were apparently in on him.

I wonder how the Sharks would be if they have gotten Stone instead.

Pavelski gone, Thornton and Marleau aged out, Burns got older, Vlasic declined... Their whole "team defense" is not good enough

Erik Karlsson was not the type of player they needed, and the fact that he hasn't been able to rebound since injuries doesn't help.

Montreal just fired Claude Julien and Kirk Muller.

Yea we did that

lol that's kind of funny. I like Julien and think it's a good thing the Habs are losing him, and Kirk Muller. The coaching change might give them a bit of wind in their sails but ultimately, some of their good players are getting older, and their defense is not mobile enough. If Carey Price is not standing on his head, they're just a good/decent team but flawed like most teams.

They still had a 9-5-4 record and were +9, they were in a bad sequence (1-3-2 in the last 6) but they got beat by good teams, the North division is highly competitive. They lost to Toronto twice and to the Oilers once. They lost twice to the Sens in OT/SO who got an awful "reputation" because of these first 10 games. Since then, they have been 5-6-0, 28 GF and 36 GA. That's not elite by any means but not as "crap" as the team was first perceived.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They got dominated most of the game. Murray's pathetic goaltending performance kept them in the game long enough to get to the last second hysterics.

It was funny to win a game behind a relatively inconsistent goaltending performance.

Price made some outstanding saves but let in some howlers as well.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
It was funny to win a game behind a relatively inconsistent goaltending performance.

Price made some outstanding saves but let in some howlers as well.
Oh yeah, both of Tkachuk's goals were dubious but he also made some unbelievable stops against Stutzle, Batherson, White, Brown and Tierney and I'm ranking them in order of the difficulty of the saves.

On the whole, Montreal was dominated. Any competent goaltending on Ottawa's end and that game would have been a blow out and that's with Chabot playing like garbage too, amazingly enough.

Reactions: Deku and NyQuil

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
Tkachuk's goals were deceptive AF. Yes I would have lynched Murray for letting them in, but on both, he fooled the goalie with off-timed shots in weird places.

Scoring along the ice is the new top-shelf.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Tkachuk's goals were deceptive AF. Yes I would have lynched Murray for letting them in, but on both, he fooled the goalie with off-timed shots in weird places.

Any shot can go in .. Price made 3 great saves on White. Tkachuk's 1st one I thought was a good shot.. 2nd one I think Price would want back.. even Brannstrom's goal .. there was traffic but it kind of just made its way in.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I thought this just happened here where people cared about asset management :sarcasm:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
They got dominated most of the game. Murray's pathetic goaltending performance kept them in the game long enough to get to the last second hysterics.

1st goal : totally fluke off Zaitsev's skate, impossible to stop

2nd goal : Drouin all alone in front after Chabot's fall. Sure Murray could have made the save but it was pretty much like a shootout goal where the skater scores. Don't think anybody in the NHL would call that goal pathetic. Drouin is no Connor Brown and just beat Murray

3rd goal : this is maybe the goal that Murray should have had. That being said, Weber has one of the best D-men shot in NHL history (~100+ mph shot), it was a bullet and he had all the time in the world to crank it up. It was from a distance though and while Murray didn't have a clear view when Weber was winding up, he could then see the trajectory. It was stoppable but calling that pathetic is ridiculous

4th goal : I like Brannstrom but it was probably the easiest walk by in Toffoli's career. I don't think you can expect the goalie to make that stop, it was a point blank shot by a goal scorer, they know how to pick spots without revealing their intentions, unlike a guy like Connor Brown for example. Again, not "pathetic" by any stretch of the imagination

Any technical argument to make that statement? Again, so easy to make statements without having anything to justify it.

Oh yeah, both of Tkachuk's goals were dubious but he also made some unbelievable stops against Stutzle, Batherson, White, Brown and Tierney and I'm ranking them in order of the difficulty of the saves.

On the whole, Montreal was dominated. Any competent goaltending on Ottawa's end and that game would have been a blow out and that's with Chabot playing like garbage too, amazingly enough.

If you look at replays, Brannstrom goal and Tkachuk 2nd goal were by far worse goals than any of the ones Murray gave up. Nothing need to be said about Tkachuk's 2nd, it was bad.

Brannstrom goal was pretty weak too. There was traffic in front, however he was able to track the puck but for some reason Price didn't have his stick in the right position.

First Tkachuk goal wasn't weak by any means, seriously?

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Firing Julien is putting a band-aid on a larger problem in MTL. Bergevin should've been axed ages ago. His ability to acquire talent via trade or drafting is piss poor, his contract negotiating skills are crap and he has zero vision for the team.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

I thought Drouin's goal was the most deceptive one last night. He totally cupped the puck, looking to roof it, then stopped half-way through the release and let the puck slide in. It was almost as sneaky as Kucherov's ghost move.

Reactions: foggyvisor

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I think teams will continue to overreact when they lose to us because we started the season so badly and played so terribly that everyone just assumes that they should walk all over our team and if we beat anyone, it is only because "the other team played bad".

Difference being to start the year we had a different lineup (no Zub, White or Brannstrom), we also had too many new players, including rookies, that needed time to figure things out and now they have.

If we get better goaltending moving forward, then I see us winning way more games than we lose but we need Murray to be much better.

Reactions: Emrasie

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I think teams will continue to overreact when they lose to us because we started the season so badly and played so terribly that everyone just assumes that they should walk all over our team and if we beat anyone, it is only because "the other team played bad".

Difference being to start the year we had a different lineup (no Zub, White or Brannstrom), we also had too many new players, including rookies, that needed time to figure things out and now they have.

If we get better goaltending moving forward, then I see us winning way more games than we lose but we need Murray to be much better.
Remember the ECF run? Every team we beat was livid they squandered their opportunity against the no-business-to-be-here Sens. Don’t get no respect! :)

Reactions: Senscore

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Hot Take - heard it here first

Pierre Dorion is going to be the GM of the Habs and Bergevin becomes Team President.

Dorion is going to be the one to trade Price and Weber and rebuild the Habs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad