Around the NHL - Episode XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I’m shocked we haven’t seen the NHL secure 10000 copies of a vaccine. It would let their season hit their schedule.

Maybe they have and don’t want people knowing they are vaccinated ahead of others but I hear noise of US Corps Offering/securing vaccines to their employees.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I’m shocked we haven’t seen the NHL secure 10000 copies of a vaccine. It would let their season hit their schedule.

Maybe they have and don’t want people knowing they are vaccinated ahead of others but I hear noise of US Corps Offering/securing vaccines to their employees.
Thats a recipe for a pr nightmare. Old people are dying in homes so i think they'll have a hard time putting healthy millionaires ahead of them in the queue. If they do it in secret it will look even worse.

I suspect they'll go ahead of the average person, but i doubt it will be before they at least start rolling it out for vulnerable populations.

Last edited:
Reactions: cudi

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Thats a recipe for a pr nightmare. Old people are dying in homes so i think they'll have a hard time putting healthy millionaires ahead of them in the queue. If they do it in secret it will look even worse.

I suspect they'll go ahead of the average person, but i doubt it will be before they at least start rolling it out for vulnerable populations.

I don’t disagree ... but private health cares companies “may” be offering it to their employees through their corporate health care plans ... basically the same thing.

There are also lots of other pathways to acquire the vaccine than through the US government procurement. They could get Russian, Chinese, or license a any booked company to make them copies outside of the governments plan.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

The league needs vaccines in the arms of the fans much more than the players.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Not sure about that ... that won’t happen until at least Sept. in the mean time they have 3? Games a week and actually making their schedule would greatly help.

One team going down could result in 5-8 games lost in a short season.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I very much agree. From a PR and optics perspective, though, look at the NFL: how many stories have we heard of fans in the stands contracting COVID as opposed to the players? It wouldn't surprise me if the NHL were more interested in protecting the brand's reputation more than Johnny Hockey-Fan.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Not sure about that ... that won’t happen until at least Sept. in the mean time they have 3? Games a week and actually making their schedule would greatly help.

One team going down could result in 5-8 games lost in a short season.
Fans in seats means money. Nothing else matters to the league or PA.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Fans in seats means money. Nothing else matters to the league or PA.

No body pays to watch cancelled games because players have covid. Regardless, vaccinating the continent won’t be complete until after the season is over. Vaccinating the players could be complete in a few days.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
No body pays to watch cancelled games because players have covid. Regardless, vaccinating the continent won’t be complete until after the season is over. Vaccinating the players could be complete in a few days.
It’s not happening so it’s a moot point.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It’s not happening so it’s a moot point.

Not sure about that ... for example do you think the NHL players will get vaccines before us ? For one there from a different countries. There not going to fly home to get vaccinated by their domestic programs. I doubt they are “last” so they will be ahead of someone ... the question is how soon ?

MCNSTY

Sep 15, 2020
Not sure about that ... for example do you think the NHL players will get vaccines before us ? For one there from a different countries. There not going to fly home to get vaccinated by their domestic programs. I doubt they are “last” so they will be ahead of someone ... the question is how soon ?
I’m sure some players will get vaccines before others (or before fans) based on which country they’re from, but it won’t be because they’re hockey players.

If anything, healthy athletes will not be anywhere near first - they aren’t front line workers.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I’m sure some players will get vaccines before others (or before fans) based on which country they’re from, but it won’t be because they’re hockey players.

If anything, healthy athletes will not be anywhere near first - they aren’t front line workers.

I’m not sure that government Style ethical decision making is the only pathway for vaccine delivery. Especially outside of Canada.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

• A 52-game and 56-game schedule were both discussed as options Thursday night, but a source says the preference for both sides would be 56 games for obvious revenue reasons.
• Training camps for all 31 teams would start around Jan. 2, although that could still be tweaked.
• The seven-day voluntary pre-camps for the seven teams not involved in the postseason remains on the table, a source said. But another source said it wasn’t 100 percent it could happen, that both sides need to figure that out. The NHL definitely wants it. The pre-camps for the Ducks, Kings, Sharks, Senators, Red Wings, Sabres and Devils, under this new timetable, would be slated to open in late December.
• Obviously, the COVID numbers remain a huge concern. As we get deeper into December, the NHL and NHLPA have to keep the door open for further delays depending on the safety of being able to lunch the season in mid-January. The pandemic could still force a further delay and start into February.

If we get down to a 1 game season the Sens could make the playoffs -- this last bit was from my column

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
does anyone know how it works with agents and their fees? I know the PA caps it at some percentage (3-5% I think). But with escrow, with front loaded/back loaded. A player being waived, sent to the minors, bought out, etc. and now possible deferral, How do they get their money and does it swing wildly?

In fact, how do they get paid altogether? Is it the clubs that do it? Is it the PA?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I wonder how long it will take to vaccinate 8 billion people .......... twice?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Well, you figure 5 minute procedure

Thats 40 billion minutes....twice is 80 billion minutes...there you have it :)

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I was being facetious

But seriously to contemplate how monumental a task this is

The 80 billion minutes has some merit to it

That translates to

55.5 million person days

Working 24/7/365, it'd take 152,207 people working around the clock to administer 8 billion people in one year....that's just the people actually administering the vaccine, that wouldn't include the peoplemanaging the logistics of it all.

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink

There’s some interesting evidence that hockey players should be ahead of the average person, because they may be vulnerable due to features of the game and the environment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/12/04/hockey-covid-transmission-outbreaks/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad