Around the NHL - Episode XLV III - BEAST MODE ANDY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I watched Florida's game last night... cant believe how wrong I was on Dadonov over Duke. I dont blame management because at face value, it seemed like a really great move.... but what a mistake that turned out to be.
Ya, Duclair started a little slow, but has been playing pretty well over the last stretch.

I've been watching a lot of games in the Central Division lately. That's probably the closest division with three good teams fighting for the number #1 divisional seed with only 1 point separating the #1 team from the #3 team (and they've all played the same amount of games).

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I enjoyed Duke with us and thought we should have signed him but the price wasnt right and given what he fetched on the open market his value across the league was still pretty low.

He is a streaky player and Huberdeau is underrated because Panthers but he is an amazing player and everyone who plays with him has career years.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I watched Florida's game last night... cant believe how wrong I was on Dadonov over Duke. I dont blame management because at face value, it seemed like a really great move.... but what a mistake that turned out to be.

Isn't Dadonov helping Zub with his transition to NA? I'd argue that Zub is more valuable to this organization that either Dadonov or Duclair so helping him acclimate to his environment is worthwhile.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I didn't know much about Dadonov, so I didn't complain when we got him, but I knew letting Duclair go would be a mistake and was pretty vocal about it. Whether he chose to represent himself or not is irrelevant. He was a RFA and could have been kept even if it took arbitration to do so. We have trouble attracting top players, so when we have a good player we should keep him if we can help it.

Now he did miss some games due to COVID and injury, but still his stats are ok given his TOI (which has only increased recently), and I'm not sure how much PP time he got.

Reactions: Icelevel

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Is there another Russian player on the Ottawa Senators other than Dadonov, maybe even a defenseman (i.e., same position as Zub)?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Isn't Dadonov helping Zub with his transition to NA? I'd argue that Zub is more valuable to this organization that either Dadonov or Duclair so helping him acclimate to his environment is worthwhile.

Zaitsev, Anisimov... Abramov & Sokolov our top two AHL scorers...

I'm sure Dadonov has helped, but Zub should be fine.

Reactions: Icelevel

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Duke is killing it and it’s become apparent we should have found a way to keep him instead of signing Dadanov. I hope the huberdeau argument isn’t consistently brought up for duke, that guy scored 20+ goals on an offensively challenged sens team last year without huberdeau

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Either way, I love where they're at right now in terms of goaltending. Fans gotta be excited!

Sandin looked good from what I saw yesterday...they may be able to a few cheap D in the next year or 2 that will help but if they don't get a proper goalie it will be tough - which I love.

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
Anyone else really cheering for Florida? They remind me a bit of Vegas (Deau&Bark are stars but..) a lot of players who could not make it work in other places and then come to florida and go wild, Duclair is so fun to watch and good, idk what more dorion wanted from him. They are in tough vs canes/lightning but I'm rooting for them, all 3 teams are fun to watch.

Reactions: DrEasy

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Honestly we didn't have to choose between the two. We could have had both. Regardless of how anyone feels about Dadonov there was no excuse for not retaining Duclair's rights.

Reactions: DrEasy and SensHulk

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Duke is killing it and it’s become apparent we should have found a way to keep him instead of signing Dadanov. I hope the huberdeau argument isn’t consistently brought up for duke, that guy scored 20+ goals on an offensively challenged sens team last year without huberdeau
Got 23 goals and then signed for $1.7m in the offseason which after all the clawbacks this year means he's playing for about $600k or just less. People see the flash but don't realize he doesn't help you win. Ever. All the ragging on Dadonov but he has 3 GWGs this year and one of them was in that crazy comeback against the Leafs.

If we would have re-signed Duclair it would have been as a very temporary placeholder. There's no other way around it.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
LMAO

iPmlZCu.jpg

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Got 23 goals and then signed for $1.7m in the offseason which after all the clawbacks this year means he's playing for about $600k or just less. People see the flash but don't realize he doesn't help you win. Ever. All the ragging on Dadonov but he has 3 GWGs this year and one of them was in that crazy comeback against the Leafs.

If we would have re-signed Duclair it would have been as a very temporary placeholder. There's no other way around it.

He's helping Florida win right now. This is a strange argument for why we should not have re-signed him. He scores points and goals and isn't a liability while doing so. Since leaving Columbus his stats are:

121 GP 37 G 41 A = 78 P --- 0.64 PPG and is a +15 over that stretch. Under three different coaches.

Goals help you win, flashy or otherwise. It was a bad call to just let him walk. It happens. I don't see why that is hard to admit.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

How does scoring goals, assisting your linemates and making dynamic plays not help a team win?

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
How does scoring goals, assisting your linemates and making dynamic plays not help a team win?

If Duclair isnt a 'guy you win with', I dont wanna know what the hell Dadonov is.

After Kessel won a cup, I thought maybe we would have less 'you cant win with that guy!' convos. Guess not tho.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
How does the player you're describing only sign for $1.7 million in the offseason coming off a 23 goal year? Go on capfriendly and get a list of all the players who scored 20+ last year and look at their cap hits. Let me know what you think of the 80-90 names on there and the corresponding cap hits (filter out the guys on ELCs, they don't count in this case). When you're done come back and give me a reasonable explanation for how a guy like Duclair, who does all the things you says he does, signs for significantly less than the vast majority of that list of players.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
How does the player you're describing only sign for $1.7 million in the offseason coming off a 23 goal year? Go on capfriendly and get a list of all the players who scored 20+ last year and look at their cap hits. Let me know what you think of the 80-90 names on there and the corresponding cap hits (filter out the guys on ELCs, they don't count in this case). When you're done come back and give me a reasonable explanation for how a guy like Duclair, who does all the things you says he does, signs for significantly less than the vast majority of that list of players.

Jeff Skinner is getting paid $9M dollars this year. NHL GMs don't always know what they're doing. Meanwhile one of the top 5 coaches of all time is finding Duclair very useful.

I love how DJ Smith's and Pierre Dorion's word is gospel around here (with some) but Joel Quenneville's is quickly brushed off.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If Duclair isnt a 'guy you win with', I dont wanna know what the hell Dadonov is.

After Kessel won a cup, I thought maybe we would have less 'you cant win with that guy!' convos. Guess not tho.

Kessel won two cups! Back-to-back.

To say nothing how the dude had cancer and almost never misses a game.

The piling on him was ridiculous.

The dude also absolutely owned us hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad