Around the NHL - Episode XLV III - BEAST MODE ANDY

Status
Not open for further replies.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Tortorella and the Jackets agree to part ways mutually. Must have been a lot more going on behind the scenes than anyone knew. The Dubois handling probably plays a huge role too.

Reactions: Cosmix

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Toronto have the easiest walk to the Final Four in a long, long time.

What an embarrassment if they don't make it.
Agree with that point. This divisional regular season and playoff (first two rounds) format was a really nice gift for them.

Reactions: Yak

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Having had some more looks at it and listening to the conversation during yesterday’s game, I have to say that I’m with Kevin.

Bush gets a glove tap for stick picking the goalie, glove on helmet, something we see in many scrums. The Panarin rag doll was less comical than McCabe and Chara, but man, you grab the bear and you have to be ready to take the consequences.

Having said that, Wilson should have stopped with one rag doll toss down and left him alone, instead he went a few more and it looked shameful.

There was no suspension because nothing occurred that deserved a suspension. Much of the rest of the panel goes on about evolving the game, player safety, but there are two realities in opinion: 1) people live the fighting and the scrums, the penne pretended that they don’t. 2) you don’t evolve the game by making stuff up on the ice. You have to change the rules first, with the NHL and NHLPA agreeing on changes, before you can start suspending guys for stuff in the ice that isn’t a current suspendable offence.

Wilson went too far, and it looked bad on him for that, but nothing that happened was currently suspendable, nor do I think there is much appetite to change the game more in that direction.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Really hope he gets his mojo back. He was so much fun to watch and plays like that remind me of why he was such a special defender. We got our picks from SJ, but now I want EK to have some success
Don’t see it happening. The jump is gone.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Things goin from bad to worse in Buffalo

Last edited:

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Things goin from bad to worse in Buffalo

Something I've learned over the last 5 years of participating on this forum is that stable ownership that's willing to invest and spend on the on-ice product is what separates the perennially bad/average teams from the upper echelon/winning teams.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Something I've learned over the last 5 years of participating on this forum is that stable ownership that's willing to invest and spend on the on-ice product is what separates the perennially bad/average teams from the upper echelon/winning teams.
Buffalo cutting essentially their entire scouting staff, along with 10+ front office management/coaching positions is as stable as it gets

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Of course Eichel is upset, any player in the league would be if they wanted to get surgery but your team was keeping you from getting a procedure done.
I feel like Eichel is upset because team X, Y, Z, has been a headline since he was drafted. Not that he's the issue, but still.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The Sabres are such a joke. The stench of Tim Murray still lingers.

Unfortunately Eichel is associated with TMurr so he needs to go for that franchise to start healing. That and word is Pegula is a bad rich owner.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
What would be the recourse for the Sabres if he went ahead and did it anyway?
No clue, like Eichel said when asked about it, he’s under contract with them and they hold lots of cards on what he can and can’t do. Probably has to do with voiding certain clauses to do with being paid.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Having had some more looks at it and listening to the conversation during yesterday’s game, I have to say that I’m with Kevin.

Bush gets a glove tap for stick picking the goalie, glove on helmet, something we see in many scrums. The Panarin rag doll was less comical than McCabe and Chara, but man, you grab the bear and you have to be ready to take the consequences.

Having said that, Wilson should have stopped with one rag doll toss down and left him alone, instead he went a few more and it looked shameful.

There was no suspension because nothing occurred that deserved a suspension. Much of the rest of the panel goes on about evolving the game, player safety, but there are two realities in opinion: 1) people live the fighting and the scrums, the penne pretended that they don’t. 2) you don’t evolve the game by making stuff up on the ice. You have to change the rules first, with the NHL and NHLPA agreeing on changes, before you can start suspending guys for stuff in the ice that isn’t a current suspendable offence.

Wilson went too far, and it looked bad on him for that, but nothing that happened was currently suspendable, nor do I think there is much appetite to change the game more in that direction.

It was either MacLean or Hrudey that made the strongest point for suspending Wilson. All of the leagues that feed players into the NHL have changed their rules. The CHL? No fighting. NCAA? No fighting. Panarin came from the KHL and so that avenue hasn't changed, I don't think there was ever much fighting there. But Wilson acts in a way that no player in any feeder league acts. There is less of that culture around. But the NHL acts like it is, and when Wilson gets going it's like a bear is loose in the zoo. Nobody really knows how to respond.

I don't agree with Kevin, that a team like the Rangers should have a "zoo keeper" player ready to handle someone like Wilson. If that player's on the bench, he doesn't change things one bit.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
There used to be fans, although I don’t hear it as often anymore, that would advocate for eliminating the instigator penalty to allow players like Tom Wilson to police things themselves. Hard to believe I always thought.

But the idea of having a zoo keeper, that’s a funny term, isn’t to provide a deterrent. Fans that don’t like or understand fighting always throw out that canard. That since the zoo keeper didn’t deter the fight what use are they.

But it isn’t about deterrence. Its about a response. We’ve seen many teams recently have some animal run roughshod over them leaving them emasculated and losing and then signing John Scott in the off season in the hope that they will be able to provide a response and not lose their confidence to play. Not signing him for deterrence, but to allow them to respond. The Rangers did respond somewhat their next game so I imagine they feel somewhat better about themselves.

But it’s not about deterrence – its about response. Sens will be able to respond. I think its still important to not lose the physical upper hand.

Reactions: aragorn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad