Around the NHL - Episode XLV III - BEAST MODE ANDY

Status
Not open for further replies.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
McDavid is an absolute beast, easily the Hart winner, but at the same time, I doubt he hits 100 points if the divisional match ups weren't so trash. Sure Edmonton would get to play teams like Buffalo, Philly, the Quacks, etc... but feasting on the sens is a darn anomaly. Really hope the Oil get swept in the first round and then McDavid asks for a trade. And screw the habs and leafs too. Leafs earned their playoff spot, but I still hope they choke in a game 7 in the first round if not swept. Habs pulled off an upset against the Caps who were a #1 vs #8 seed that one year, hope they do something similar. Hope Winnipeg goes the deepest, the only team that is not insufferable in our division

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
McDavid is an absolute beast, easily the Hart winner, but at the same time, I doubt he hits 100 points if the divisional match ups weren't so trash. Sure Edmonton would get to play teams like Buffalo, Philly, the Quacks, etc... but feasting on the sens is a darn anomaly. Really hope the Oil get swept in the first round and then McDavid asks for a trade. And screw the habs and leafs too. Leafs earned their playoff spot, but I still hope they choke in a game 7 in the first round if not swept. Habs pulled off an upset against the Caps who were a #1 vs #8 seed that one year, hope they do something similar. Hope Winnipeg goes the deepest, the only team that is not insufferable in our division
Feasting on the Sens wasn’t an anomaly. He feasted on the Flames and Canucks to the same extent, 2 and 3 less points against the Flames and Canucks compared to the Sens, and he has a game left against both of them.

Reactions: GCK

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Bedard and Wright look amazing.

tkatchuk-stutzle- and whoever we get this year might pale in comparison to whatever rebuilding teams get from 22-24
I could see is getting a high pick next year if Sanderson stays most of the year in College again plus back to being in a division with Boston, Tampa, Florida and again Toronto. We shall see how things shake out though.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The north is not a hard division

If the sens are the 3rd best team in this division since mid February it’s not saying much
What evidence are you basing that on.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Feasting on the Sens wasn’t an anomaly. He feasted on the Flames and Canucks to the same extent, 2 and 3 less points against the Flames and Canucks compared to the Sens, and he has a game left against both of them.
And had more points against the Jets than the Sens.

Reactions: Beville

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
McDavid is the best offensive player ever. What he is able to do TODAY against the level of competition of today is ridiculous. He literally flies on the ice, but what is special is his ability to make plays at high speed, control the puck and pull off moves while flying.

I know not everyone will share that point of view and it's ok but it's much harder to score and beat a NHL goalie than it was a few decades ago (look at the size of goalies, the technicality and the equipment). The defensive structures have also evolved a lot, players are much faster and more mobile than ever, and are also in top shape physically. You won't see a smoker able to play in this league anymore. There's also more back pressure from fowards too, so players have very limited time to execute plays.

It's a weird season and of course the settings with covid are very unique. It's true that McDavid was able to feast on the Sens early as they were still trying to figure out how to defend on the road, but nonetheless, what he is ABLE to do is incredible.

I don't want to diminish past players exploits, but I doubt Mike Bossy scores 573 goals in 752 games in the game today and I love Mike, knew his daughter, etc.

McDavid hasn't been very lucky yet because of shortened seasons (injured in rookie year, then the 2 seasons with covid) but it's a guy that should be able to get ~2000 pts in 1400 games... Yes Gretzky had more but at least to me, I find it more impressive today.

Last edited:

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Bit late but this Mcdavid talk got me to create this meme
11fdb316d1864065e2234a0db77949a1-trailer-park-boys-quotes-ravioli-jpg.430946

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
What Buch did was 100% suspendable.

I understand the context and why them suspending Buch but not Wilson looks dumb as hell but two wrongs don't make a right.

Thank you, appreciate the response. I don't disagree in principle. That there was no injury on Buchnevich's play makes me think that perhaps there were grounds for leniency - and I appreciate that it is the action that is suspendable, not the result. I suppose though that I'm left wondering if the NHL wasn't quick to want to make a point following that game and be sure to really punish the Rangers.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
If I counted it correct, McDavid has the following states vs teams in the North Division:
  • vs WPG 9 GP 22 PTS
  • vs MTL 7 GP 8 PTS
  • vs TOR 9 GP 12 PTS
  • vs VAN 8 GP 17 PTS
  • vs OTT 9 GP 21 PTS
  • vs CGY 10 GP 18 PTS

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
So the North is weak because of points ? That makes absolutely no sense in a season of divisional play only.
Uh ? You might want to read again

the sens have the 3rd most points in the division since mid February to me that’s signs of a weak division

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

the sens have the 3rd most points in the division since mid February to me that’s signs of a weak division

Or maybe you are underestimating how much the Senators have improved, and maybe we would be beating up on other teams around the league too, if given the chance.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

So you are saying the division is weak because the Sens have played better since the terrible start. Seems a little circular

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Or maybe you are underestimating how much the Senators have improved, and maybe we would be beating up on other teams around the league too, if given the chance.

Totally, the team looks much better than they did for the first ~15 games. Actually, although they were far from perfect, they were already decent at home and just continued to improve but since April, it seems that they have been able to figure out how to defend on the road. Look at the GA/GP on the road :

January : 6.00 GA/GP (in 5 games)
February : 3.71 GA/GP (in 7 games)
March : 4.83 GA/GP (in 6 games)
April : 2.71 GA/GP (in 7 games)*
May : 3.00 GA/GP (only 1 game)

* a 3 games stretch mid-April where Murray came back from injury, gave up only 2 GA in 3 GP, that was on the road.

So, not only the young guys have improved and added a bit of experience, but the personnel mistakes made in the off-season (Dorion is the GM but DJ certainly has a part of the blame in this) got progressively fixed. The coaching staff seem to have also finally worked out the structural and hockey systems problems. A lot of added speed certainly helped but we don't see as many blown up coverage (positionning, rotating) and deadly turnovers (breakout strategies) and most importantly, we don't give up as much time and space. The amount of time and space we were giving up early in the season was ridiculous, not sure I ever saw it as bad. Not a surprise goalies were getting shelled. You can't give up too much time and space to NHLers, these guys are extremely good at hockey and will make you pay

To the Sens/coaching staff defense, many guys hadn't played in like 10 months, there was a ~50% roster turnover (~10 new guys) and there was no real training camp. The team was not ready to compete and that's why we dug our hole early.

But now, after the storm, this team is finally "hard to play against" : fast, relentless and skilled

Sure, there's still room for improvement (Tierney, Dadonov, defense...) but we're seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. The big difference to me is how much faster we play and execute. It's not really about being physical, just be strong in battles and don't get pushed around. Players like Tkachuk and Connor Brown are pretty good role models at how forwards have to play

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I kinda look at that and it gives me confidence that we've turned a corner

I posted some data in another thread that I'll repeat here.

Since March 15, ga/60

5 on 5 Sens are 8th
all strengths Sens are 6th

That's pretty impressive. It's not a sign of weakness given the offensive talent in the north

5 of the top 15 scorers are in the north, including 4 of the top 6

There's imo an easy argument to make that night in night out we're going to see less offensive capability next season compared to what we've seen this season

Reactions: Xspyrit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad